The new RS8 based speakers

restrav

Re: The new RS8 based speakers
« Reply #60 on: 16 May 2017, 03:38 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:02 pm by restrav »

roscoe65

« Reply #61 on: 16 May 2017, 03:50 pm »
You should get a quote from him.  My experience has been that the newer drivers are a significant improvement over the older ones. 
The Junior 8 XRS is $2k in real wood, so that is your benchmark.  If your current cost basis + the upgrade cost is < $2k you have a viable upgrade path.

sunnydaze

« Reply #62 on: 16 May 2017, 04:16 pm »
You should get a quote from him.  My experience has been that the newer drivers are a significant improvement over the older ones. 
The Junior 8 XRS is $2k in real wood, so that is your benchmark.  If your current cost basis + the upgrade cost is < $2k you have a viable upgrade path.

Doesn't seem apples-to-apples to me....

What he bought includes 2 subs, while the Junior 8 XRS does not.

roscoe65

« Reply #63 on: 17 May 2017, 03:24 am »

My implication is that he could retrofit the main modules for less than replacing the main modules with a pair of Junior 8's.  His Compact 8's are the same size as the SAM, and louis has already said it would work in that volume.

McNubbins

« Reply #64 on: 17 May 2017, 01:44 pm »

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I have had bad luck in the past starting arguments with people across the Internet. But here I go:

Dadbeh already has the subs. Even though I don't know the guy, I think we can be pretty sure he's not throwing them away. So his upgraded system, whether with his current cabs and new RS8 drivers or a completely new set of Junior 8 XRS, will have subs.

If you compare the price of these two upgrade options to get a new 8" driver in his listening room, it is an apples to apples comparison.

sunnydaze

« Reply #65 on: 17 May 2017, 02:05 pm »
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I have had bad luck in the past starting arguments with people across the Internet. But here I go:

Dadbeh already has the subs. Even though I don't know the guy, I think we can be pretty sure he's not throwing them away. So his upgraded system, whether with his current cabs and new RS8 drivers or a completely new set of Junior 8 XRS, will have subs.

If you compare the price of these two upgrade options to get a new 8" driver in his listening room, it is an apples to apples comparison.

I don't follow your logic at all.   But that's OK, not enough coffee yet.     8)

Let me clarify my point:

(1)  Dadbeh bought a set of monitors with older driver + sub pair for about $1500   (assumed based on seller's most recent AG ad).  He did not have the subs before the purchase,  he got them with the purchase.

(2)  a new pair of Junior 8 XRS costs about $2000

I could have mis-read Roscoe65, but I thought he was saying that if buyer could get his drivers upgraded for up to $500, he will have what is essentially the current Junior 8 XRS -- pricewise and soundwise.   

My point was that he will have much more than that since his purchase includes a pair of subs, while the Junior 8 XRS do not.

PS:  Just discussing audio, not "arguing".    :thumb:

mrvco

« Reply #66 on: 17 May 2017, 02:40 pm »
I don't follow your logic at all.   But that's OK, not enough coffee yet.     8)

Let me clarify my point:

(1)  Dadbeh bought a set of monitors with older driver + sub pair for about $1500   (assumed based on seller's most recent AG ad).  He did not have the subs before the purchase,  he got them with the purchase.

I could have mis-read Roscoe65, but I thought he was saying that if buyer could get his drivers upgraded for up to $500, he will have what is essentially the current Junior 8 XRS -- pricewise and soundwise.   

My point was that he will have much more than that since his purchase includes a pair of subs, while the Junior 8 XRS do not.

Yep, plus the stack saves quite a bit of floor space versus adding standalone sub(s).

restrav

« Reply #67 on: 17 May 2017, 02:44 pm »
This is a very constructive and helpful" discussion" not argument.

restrav

« Reply #68 on: 17 May 2017, 03:08 pm »
subwoofers were a big incentive but I bought it for the well known coherent omega sound specifically for its beautiful midrange

sunnydaze

« Reply #69 on: 17 May 2017, 03:56 pm »
subwoofers were a big incentive but I bought it for the well known coherent omega sound specifically for its beautiful midrange

IMO, you did well. This past summer I bought a used pair of Super 7 XRS mk2 and a pair of close-out Gallo subs for a total cost greater than yours.

And my situation is more cluttered, uses more floor space, and of course my subs are not specifically made to perfectly mesh with the mains.

Enjoy the speakers!    :thumb:

McNubbins

« Reply #70 on: 17 May 2017, 04:01 pm »

Let me clarify my point:

I understand what has happened so far. My logic is that he has the subs now. So why is he looking for a floorstander that'll cost more and prevent him from running his awesome sub-under-monitor setup? If he buys the floorstander there is a pair of monitors that go unused or now need to be sold.

My implication is that he could retrofit the main modules for less than replacing the main modules with a pair of Junior 8's.  His Compact 8's are the same size as the SAM, and louis has already said it would work in that volume.
Thank goodness for people more articulate than me.

This is a very constructive and helpful" discussion" not argument.
I'm glad to hear that is the prevailing sentiment in spite of my contributions.

Now I'll get back to enjoying my (lowly, bottom of the floorstanding range) 3XRS.

sunnydaze

« Reply #71 on: 17 May 2017, 04:07 pm »
Not lowly at all.  A local buddy has them and they sound excellent!  (but IMO, require a sub.....as do my Super 7s.....but that's just me coming from a long history of big floorstanders.  YMMV)     :thumb:

mrvco

« Reply #72 on: 17 May 2017, 04:10 pm »
He bought the Omega speaker + sub combo that were for sale in the Audiogon link.  I don't see any reference to pre-existing speakers and/or subs.

restrav

« Reply #73 on: 17 May 2017, 04:34 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:03 pm by restrav »

restrav

« Reply #74 on: 17 May 2017, 04:40 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:07 pm by restrav »

restrav

« Reply #75 on: 17 May 2017, 04:55 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:08 pm by restrav »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #76 on: 17 May 2017, 05:25 pm »
Way too complicated upgrade evaluation.  IMO, find out how much the upgrade costs, assess as best you can the likely improvement.  Is the cost worth it to you?  Done.

BTW, I love watching taylor swift videos........

with the sound off! 

ba boom!    :P

McNubbins

« Reply #77 on: 17 May 2017, 05:30 pm »
Not lowly at all.  A local buddy has them and they sound excellent!  (but IMO, require a sub.....as do my Super 7s.....but that's just me coming from a long history of big floorstanders.  YMMV)     :thumb:
Aside from a little self-deprecation, I said that because I want people to actually buy these sweet looking new RS8-based speakers. I don't want to see a nice guy like Louis go out of business because he's only selling to cheapos like me. More than $1095 (which is what my 3XRS cost) is already a tough sell to some people, even if we here know it's a huge bargain.

My friends are mostly normal people (well, at least when it comes to their audio preferences) and not one of them has been able to say my little speakers weren't the best they've ever heard--in every area except bass weight and slam. One day I'd like to try a sub, preferably when my floor isn't also someone else's ceiling.

That's why, having never heard one, I believe the RS8 does have a little more to offer than the RS5 in the form of more mid-bass. I'd like to hear from somebody who knows more about speaker driver design than I do (it wouldn't take much) to tell us how an eight-incher like the RS8 can compare to the RS5 in the "electrostatic speed" aspect--magnet power vs. cone weight and all that.

They are setup now, taylor swift sounds amazing!
I am running them by Nuprime IDA-8 for now.
gonna get a tube integrated soon
I'm using a little gainclone-clone integrated that came from China. It impresses me every day what Omegas can do with so little, whether I'm watching TV or really sitting down in front of them and listening to some good music.

Rock on, everyone.

restrav

« Reply #78 on: 17 May 2017, 09:36 pm »
I gotta say 3 XRS with grill on is one the most gorgeous speakers ive ever seen. 

restrav

« Reply #79 on: 17 May 2017, 09:49 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:09 pm by restrav »