Project rpm-1 or U turn orbit special in walnut

tobyw

Project rpm-1 or U turn orbit special in walnut
« on: 18 Sep 2018, 03:28 am »
These tables are not being sold here in south florida and I would really appreciate the pluses and cons of each model from people who own them.
I would mount my fresh blue point number 2 on the table, so the included cartridges are of little use or interest to me.
Thank you in advance!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
project vs U turn
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2018, 02:21 pm »
Sorry I can't give an owner's perspective.  I've never had them.  You can read up Amazon reviews but I am not sure they would be the same as "audiophiles."  There are a few differences to compare from what I can look up.

U turn is 3 pounds heavier (probably in the plinth). 

U turn has acrylic platter and rpm1 has MDF platter.

U turn has internal spring anti-skate and rpm1 is magnetic.  Neither seems to be adjustable.

U turn has a mostly stainless straight arm and rpm1 is mostly carbon fiber with an S-shaped arm.  Neither are uni-pivot -- both are gimbal presumably on 2 axis.

U turn comes with a cover and rpm1 does not.

Both units can come with Ortofan 2M Red -- meaning they are equivalent in terms of tonearm cartridge resonance match. 

This is my perspective. 

Orbit seems to be a good execution of a traditional design that is more plug and play with not much room for tweaking.  May be better value -- higher floor but lower ceiling.

Rpm1 seems to incorporate newer technologies but not put together well at this level but, because of that, it may have more tweaking room to improve the shortcomings.  It's floor may be lower with a higher pricetag but probably has higher ceiling with a relatively low cost tweaking.

The question is do you want to bother with tweaks at this level or would you just rather upgrade to a different level period.  So U turn if you just want to plug and play.  RPM1 if you are a tweaker looking to beat the market for QPR (no guarantee as any tweaking can devolve into a money sinkhole).  This is my humble guess. 

FYI here is a discussion on similar products from the same two companies from Dec 2016. 

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Project rpm-1 or U turn orbit special in walnut
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2018, 10:47 pm »
I would rather have the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC.  I don't know if they changed the Rega from about 2 years ago but I found it very flimsy and cheap.   Get a pro-ject speed box speed controller as an add-on and you have got something.  You can also add an acrylic platter.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-DC-Black

I have seen a Oribt U-turn as Frank Van Alstine with avahifi has one.  It sounds ok.

rotarius

Re: Project rpm-1 or U turn orbit special in walnut
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2018, 11:19 pm »
Both have short tonearms resulting in higher tracking distortion, Orbit seems to be too short to be taken seriously.  I have the RPM 3 as one of my TTs.  Nice 10" arm but like all Pro-jects, the tonearm wires are ridiculously fragile and break easily while swapping carts.  Happened to me twice.  If I had to pick, it would be RPM1.  Under $500, I would go for neither.  An older Rega with a RB250/251 would be my pick, not the newer 220 with the fixed antiskate.