Qobuz?

skunark

Qobuz?
« on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:51 pm »
Now that Qobuz is expanding to more markets including the USA (expected this summer), are there plans to offer this streaming service on BDP-1/2/pi/3?   They have different user tiers where you can download high-res and another that you can download and stream 24-bit flac up to 192khz.  Manufactures can be certified to access the hi-res streams and several have already signed up.    BTW, MPD is adding Qobuz (and tidal) to it's offering so that part is low effort but the difficult part would be to add songs to MPD

Jim.

dB Cooper

Re: Qobuz?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2018, 12:21 am »
Interested in Qobuz because I'm not thrilled with the Tidal interface and not willing to pay $120 a year for Roon.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2018, 02:56 pm »
Now that Qobuz is expanding to more markets including the USA (expected this summer), are there plans to offer this streaming service on BDP-1/2/pi/3?   They have different user tiers where you can download high-res and another that you can download and stream 24-bit flac up to 192khz.  Manufactures can be certified to access the hi-res streams and several have already signed up.    BTW, MPD is adding Qobuz (and tidal) to it's offering so that part is low effort but the difficult part would be to add songs to MPD

Jim.

I'm interested in adding support for Qobuz and Deezer (Deezer particularly as its API is suppose to be similar to TIDALs), but until they are available in Canada its definitely not going to happen.  Although it sounds like the timing could be right if they bring it to Canada the same time as the US as we should be developing Nutty Narwhal by then and we hope to place some emphases on streaming in that release.

Chris

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2018, 04:27 am »
I'm excited about competition for streaming lossless (and better bit-rates) since every streaming service i've tried is horribly lacking in one way or another.  Tidal seems to have an agenda, so I would rather step on another soap box and give a competitor shout.   

I should just leave it there, thankful that Bryston is eager to add streaming services to the BDP-* products, but...

Roon is an utter joke helping me rediscover my own music for some real $$$ and requiring an intense amount of compute for streaming something as basic as PCM and yet it's not a streaming service.  I know the actual streaming services will entirely depend on their mobile customers and the audiophiles community will be leaching their catalogs to get their fix.  Especially now with Best Buy announcing plans to stop selling CDs and Target following their lead, streaming is becoming the only option as there's music out there that i can't even purchase on a physical medium.    To top it off, the local record stores tends to only sell classic rock, the top 1000 album of all times and of course the top ten of the top-40 albums, maybe that's enough to sustain the brick-and-morters but the main store in town had an unsuccessful kicker starter to repair a roof and add a bar.   I bet they will be gone in five years, as their CD prices are 2x of online retailers and their selection is insignificant compared to online.   My last visit to a local record store ended up with me ordering the "new" CDs they didn't have in store for a fraction of their average price, and I did that from their parking lot.   

Jim
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2018, 05:54 am by skunark »

Calypte

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2018, 05:45 pm »
What's a "local record store?"  I haven't seen one in years.

Timslim18

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2018, 09:13 pm »
I'm interested in adding support for Qobuz and Deezer (Deezer particularly as its API is suppose to be similar to TIDALs), but until they are available in Canada its definitely not going to happen.  Although it sounds like the timing could be right if they bring it to Canada the same time as the US as we should be developing Nutty Narwhal by then and we hope to place some emphases on streaming in that release.

Chris

Hi Chris:

Deezer is available in Canada and has been for several years as I have been (and still very much am) a happy subscriber.

Deezer streams FLAC in Canada as part of its "Deezer HiFi" plan.

Having a BDP-1 at work and a BDP-3 at home, I would love Bryston support for Deezer!!!!

Chris, now that Deezer is availalble here in Canada, how soon can you make Bryston support happen?

Many thanks,

Tim

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2018, 10:33 pm »
As the other half of my post mentions, once nutty narwhal is released.... possibly but they are two services we are interested in supporting.

Timslim18

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2018, 10:42 pm »
As the other half of my post mentions, once nutty narwhal is released.... possibly but they are two services we are interested in supporting.

Thanks, Chris.

Just a friendly nudge.

:thumb:

slugworth

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2018, 02:41 am »
I currently have a Tidal subscription. As far as I can tell Tidal and Deezer limit their offline content  to 320kbs and even then only on a mobile device. Can anyone confirm that  Qobuz allows the subscriber to play cd quality or higher music offline with a PC or Mac?

skunark

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2018, 06:00 pm »
CDs are no longer being sold at my local best buy.  It is also undergoing a remodel and it appears DVD/Blurays are also on their way out with two very small rows of media.    The remodel is interesting as it removed the store in a store approach that had seemed to be successful.    They are building mock kitchens and seem to have brought back car audio replacing the musical instrument “magnet school” section.

Since the direction seems to be streaming for both audio and video, it would be interesting if Bryston could also offer a streaming video player.  Most TVs have this built in but for manufacturers very poor privacy and security track record, I will always use another device.   

Timslim18

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2018, 01:40 pm »
I currently have a Tidal subscription. As far as I can tell Tidal and Deezer limit their offline content  to 320kbs and even then only on a mobile device. Can anyone confirm that  Qobuz allows the subscriber to play cd quality or higher music offline with a PC or Mac?

Does this answer your question...?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

skunark

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2018, 02:58 pm »
Great link. I can’t wait to give them a go as any downloaded tracks should play on the BDP even without support and same goes for other devices

john1970

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2018, 12:07 am »
It would be great to see Bryston offer Qobuz high-res support in the BDA3 with a future software upgrade. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:16 pm »
Its being looked into for our BDP products, looks promising but its still early and wouldn't suggest making any purchases quite yet.

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:27 pm »
Sorry, you just answered my question.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2018, 08:37 pm »

We actually have two in Peterborough, a main stream big box in the mall that sells records, movies and cd's and a full legit record store down town, bluestreak records.

Chris

ricmon

« Reply #16 on: 8 Nov 2018, 04:08 pm »

Now days it's called Barnes and Nobel