Shiva-X Designs

Kevin Haskins

Shiva-X Designs
« on: 28 Feb 2008, 10:42 pm »
I'm working my way through doing complete box designs for all the drivers.   I'll have cut-sheets, 3D models of the boxes and complete design guildelines for building each model.    I'll also include complete cost analysis and a "best guess" commercial equivilent.    Obviously the "best guess" is just that.   I can look at models and predict how much output they have based upon what we know about drivers, power and subs in general.    Overall.... I can get pretty close because the laws of physics don't favor any one vendor.  ;-)

Design #1:

Driver: Shiva-X  12" High output XBL^2 low-distortion driver.   

Design Goal:  Good output and musical performance in compact size with reasonable cost.

Amplifier:  O-Audio Bash 500W with single band PEQ, 20Hz bass extension option, & 24db/oct LP filter.

Approx Build Cost:   $394 + shipping  plus MDF

Simulated output limits and extension with O-Audio amplifier & 20Hz bass extension mode.   Notice we get good extension into the teens in a SMALL box.    In-room response assumed a 8.5' ceiling, 13' Wide x 20' Deep room with the sub in one of the front corners.  Listening position is centered on the room 2/3 of the way back from the front wall & seated.   

The limits in this design are mainly from the amplifier @ 23Hz.  You will start clipping the amplifier due to the slight bass equalization but only at very high output.   You can move up to a 1000W amp but you don't gain much additional headroom because you reach driver excursion limits shortly after the amplifier limits.    The O-Audio amp is a good choice for cost, features and its a good fit for the driver capabilities.   

Design #2:

Driver: Shiva-X  12" High output XBL^2 low-distortion driver.   

Design Goal:  Good output and musical performance in larger size for more extension and headroom.   

Amplifier:  O-Audio Bash 500W with single band PEQ, 20Hz bass extension option, & 24db/oct LP filter.

Approx Build Cost:   $394 + shipping  plus MDF

Internal volume jumped to about 3.23 cubic feet.   You can see you get a little extra extension and the same amount of amplifier power gives you a little more output, as you would expect in the larger box.

Kevin Haskins

Re: Shiva-X Designs
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2008, 12:03 am »
As a lower cost option to the 500W O-Audio amp you could use either the PE 240W or Bash 300W plate amps.   In both the above designs you loose about 2.5dB of output but its not necessarily a bad tradeoff.    You save about $100 over the 500W amp and you get comparable output to lessor drivers in the same enclosure, with the Shiva staying WELL within its linear range of output.    If your budget is tight it might be a good option.

With the smaller amp you could conceivably build one of the small sealed designs for around $300 plus MDF.