Don't Buy these Speakers!

WntrMute2

Don't Buy these Speakers!
« on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:37 am »
I thought that would get your attention.  I don't know whether my HT2-Tls finally broke in (doubt it since talking to Jim), or whether I finally rolled the right set of tubes in my preamp but something really has been clicking.  The reason I said don't buy these speakers is that I used to do a lot of reading while playing music, now I just realized I keep putting my book/article down and just listening.  The complaint I had about the cymbal noise is totally gone and I can hear the differences in different cymbals.  Bass is still as deep as one could imagine.  The Mountain by the Heartless Bastards was just riveting at least on vinyl, I'll pop it into the CD player later.  I swapped in a set of RFTs for the Amperex Bugle Boy 12 AU7s.  I can't believe that changed things but things sound good at my house tonight. 

mathgeek97

Re: Don't Buy these Speakers!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:00 am »
Always great to see that veneer, again.
Remind us what components you were feeding to your HT2-TLs.

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:02 am »
On a tangent, if you don't mind-

I don't have a lot of tube rolling experience like many here but I did hit on the RFT 12AU7 and think that it is an excellent, well balanced tube. No prominance anywhere yet not boring.

-Mike

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:05 am »
Those are gorgeous speakers...!!

alan m. kafton

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:40 am »
Oh my....really exquisite.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:48 am »
I thought that would get your attention.  I don't know whether my HT2-Tls finally broke in (doubt it since talking to Jim), or whether I finally rolled the right set of tubes in my preamp but something really has been clicking. 

I'm certainly glad you're happy (or happier).  I don't know exactly what Jim said to you about break in, but I suspect we agree.  I can't think of anything in the speakers that could break in other than the woofer surrounds, and that wouldn't affect the high frequencies that shape the sounds of cymbals.  I don't know from tubes. 

WntrMute2

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:01 am »
Source components: VPI HW19 turntable, Rotel 955X Cd player, Wright WPL-20 Preamp, Transcendent 150 watt monoblocks.  When I was talking to Jim during the purchasing/construction phase, he said there wasn't much mechanical break in that he was aware of but some people had noticed a change in sound after a longer time period had elapsed than expected.  I don't really know if that was it or the tube change or maybe the planets are aligned correctly now but things sound better than ever.  I took delivery of these beauties December 23rd. BTW.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:32 am »
I'd guess it was the tube change.  I've heard a lot of tubes that don't do cymbals justice. 

I am happy that you're happy!   :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2010, 04:01 am »
great looking speakers...don't know if I like those SEAS Drivers..They look so sterile... :eyebrows:

funkmonkey

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2010, 05:24 am »
Just a fine, fine day of music listening.  credit the tube rolling, speaker break-in, good day at the power plant...  whatever.  glad to hear that you are enjoying your system.  :thumb:
Cheers,
Greg

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2010, 05:53 am »
I noticed the extra detail of the plinths, really nice touch!!

O come on T ,, The seas with the copper  make this speaker ,    bad Man! Bad as in good , sharp  8)

fsimms

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:25 pm »
Don’t blame the tube.  After six years with my HT1’s I often have the same experience as you.  My theory is that the human mind isn’t big enough to contain the sound.   I forget how good it sounds and am surprised again.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2010, 02:39 pm »
...don't know if I like those SEAS Drivers..They look so sterile... :eyebrows:

Well, they're clean. 

WntrMute2

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2010, 12:15 pm »
The new Humble Pie reissue "Smokin" is fantastic for those spinning vinyl.  And for those that aren't, try the Faces boxed set "Five Guys Walk into a Bar"  Both have that YOU ARE THERE quality I like.  Not necessarily the last word in demo but a joy to listen to.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm »
"Transcendent 150 watt monoblocks" - did you build these yourself?  Do they seem to have enough oomph to power these 4 ohm speakers?

K Shep

« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:29 pm »
great looking speakers...don't know if I like those SEAS Drivers..They look so sterile... :eyebrows:

Tuan,

Those drivers are identical to vintagebob's that we sat in front of at the last Nor Cal GTG.  They must appear dissimilar with a lighter shade veneer.

« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2010, 07:59 pm by K Shep »

WntrMute2

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2010, 07:13 pm »
"Transcendent 150 watt monoblocks" - did you build these yourself?  Do they seem to have enough oomph to power these 4 ohm speakers?

No I bought them used but tested. 

The rated 150 watts is into a 4 ohm load and that is far more than I ever need.  With either CD or turntable playback, I rarely need to advance the volume knob more than 9 or 10 o'clock.  With pandora via my phone, 12 to 1 on the volume know is plenty.

carusoracer

« Reply #17 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:53 pm »
Ouch! That is one sharp pair of HT's 8)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:59 pm »
No I bought them used but tested. 

The rated 150 watts is into a 4 ohm load and that is far more than I ever need.  With either CD or turntable playback, I rarely need to advance the volume knob more than 9 or 10 o'clock.  With pandora via my phone, 12 to 1 on the volume know is plenty.

Cool.  Have you ever had a chance to hear the Atma Spheres or other OTL amps to make a comparison?

WntrMute2

« Reply #19 on: 5 Apr 2010, 09:20 pm »
Cool.  Have you ever had a chance to hear the Atma Spheres or other OTL amps to make a comparison?

No, I do have an Arcam SS amp that I used to use with my Snell Ellls but this combo is all I've got at the moment.  You're welcome to have a listen tho, I think you're right in my back yard.  Just finished Little Feat's Mountain Jam-outstanding, a must listen!