Difference between BP25 and B60 used as preamp

zeidoun

« on: 9 Mar 2004, 04:02 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have seen today a thread on audioasylum.com suggesting that the BP25 preamp sound much better than a B60 used as preamp. I thought that the B60 preamp section shares the same ciruits as the BP25. So my question is does anyone know from direct experience whether the B-60 as preamp performs as well as the BP20/25 preamps on which it's based?
Thanks for your help.
Zied

KJ

« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2004, 05:04 pm »
Zied,

No direct experience, but the key difference I believe is that the BP-20/BP-25 has an outboard power supply (and more inputs).  The outboard power might provide slightly better resolution, but I can't imagine it is substantial.  James might be able to provide the best insight.

-KJ

zeidoun

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2004, 05:14 pm »
Thanks
Yes, I agree. I do not think that an outboard power supply would make that much difference. On the audioasylum thread mentioned above, there is a quite agreement that there exist a significant difference between the two models. I really would like to have Mr. Tanner opinion on this.
Regards,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:35 pm »
Hi All,

Just got back from an audio show in Florida. Sorry for the delay in answering.
The preamp circuit section of the B60 SST is in fact identical to the BP25. The differences lie in the fact that the B60 shares the power supplies from the amp section to run the preamp and as everyone has said is internal.
The extra noise floor advantage of the BP25 is not significant but it is something that can be heard in a sophisticated system as more resoultion.

james

zeidoun

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2004, 06:00 pm »
Thank you very much.