Vishay's are big as tootsie rolls.......

youRobert

« on: 4 Jul 2004, 02:52 am »
.....  first i got an assembled Purist, then decided that my 30 year old soldering technique was up to the task, so i purchased and built an HD kit.

very happy with the HD, i pondered what to do with my (by this point) rather mod-ed Purist.

so i set out to out HD the HD, without breaking the bank.  got Mills and Vishay resistors.  since the call out is .6W, the Caddocks are .75W and Vishary (at least from partsconnexion) are either .5W or 1W, i opted for the safe route and got the 1W.

well, big suckers.  managed to fit them on V2, V3.  V1 is another matter, compounded by the fact that i put the 1k units on V2, V3 and snipped the leads!!!  finally figured out what i did when i couldn't get any volume.    oh bother.  

i'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth the effort to dissemble the front of the amp to move the stock 1K (which are about the size of a grain of rice with leads) for the Vishays.

with the power supply and V2, V3 resistors upgraded, i'm having a hard time telling the difference with the HD.

any notion of how critcal the 5751 cathode resistors are??

youRobert

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2004, 04:02 pm »
spent some time figuring out how to do it without pulling the trannies.  just because.

the Vishays *do* make a difference over stock.   if they just weren't so huge