New Apollo's In The House till October

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: New Apollo's In The House till October
« Reply #40 on: 6 Oct 2017, 04:06 pm »
Michael, I'm thinking it might be better to take him some nice 12 yr single malt, or a nice local porter, for mass consumption. Then quietly load & steal into the night while visions of sugar plums are dancing in his head.  :wink: 

Have fun with your re-acquaintance with those beauties, and a safe trip to the far East when the time comes for both you & them.  :thumb:

JD

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 6 Oct 2017, 04:42 pm »
JD,

LOL! I've thought about that. I'll see what looks good.

I just glanced through this thread only to discover there are no pictures of my speakers.

Apollo speakers on the right.

A_shah

« Reply #42 on: 6 Oct 2017, 04:54 pm »
Micheal
Those are beautiful looking speakers , I wish I could hear them here in San Francisco bay area , I have never heard Daedalus Speakers , I assume they are very efficient speakers and not require much power  :thumb:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #43 on: 6 Oct 2017, 05:03 pm »
Micheal
Those are beautiful looking speakers , I wish I could hear them here in San Francisco bay area , I have never heard Daedalus Speakers , I assume they are very efficient speakers and not require much power  :thumb:

All of Lou's speakers are very efficient and mate well with any amp out there.  I forget the exact ratting for the Apollo's but they are in the 95 range.   And they will accept up to 300 watts if I recall.   

But I didn't pay much attention to that angle, I just wanted to know how long I would have to Baby Sit them :thumb:

aldcoll

« Reply #44 on: 6 Oct 2017, 05:21 pm »
Okay here are the Apollo's in their CURRENT HOME.

And thank you Arthur for the incentive plan.  I will mention that shortly after the trucks pulls out of the drive I will head to Agrarian Ales and soak my sorrows.

I guess I should also give a thank you shout out to Micheal for trusting me these past few months.   Since we have only know each other for about 5 years I have also received and broken in several Audio items.  Some for just testing and some for continued use.

I won't mention names ( this isn't a kiss and tell) but I think three DAC's and a integrated amp and some cables if I recall.

I wont even go into the getting up at 3 a.m. several mornings to spend a day driving and home at almost midnight to audition or purchase these Apollo's.

And it ain't over yet.  Just think if you would wait a few days you could borrow my Modwright :duh: :duh:

Alan

mresseguie

« Reply #45 on: 7 Oct 2017, 12:52 am »
Micheal

Jump in a Cessna....hop on over.... :thumb:

Unless I can scramble up a nice amp and DAC, I'll be powering them with my Nuprime IDA-8. Won't that be funny? Pairing an under $1k all-in-one with $14k speakers... :lol:

The Apollos are 8 Ohm 96.5dB, so even this modest amp will make them sing pretty well - not as well as Alan's Modwright, of course...

mresseguie

« Reply #46 on: 7 Oct 2017, 01:02 am »
Okay here are the Apollo's in their CURRENT HOME.

And thank you Arthur for the incentive plan.  I will mention that shortly after the trucks pulls out of the drive I will head to Agrarian Ales and soak my sorrows.

I guess I should also give a thank you shout out to Micheal for trusting me these past few months.   Since we have only know each other for about 5 years I have also received and broken in several Audio items.  Some for just testing and some for continued use.

I won't mention names ( this isn't a kiss and tell) but I think three DAC's and a integrated amp and some cables if I recall.

I wont even go into the getting up at 3 a.m. several mornings to spend a day driving and home at almost midnight to audition or purchase these Apollo's.

And it ain't over yet.  Just think if you would wait a few days you could borrow my Modwright :duh: :duh:

Alan

Ooh, the Modwright....

I don't think the timing will work. I know when you leave, and we're planning to fly out November 10. I'd have to return it a few days before that because I need the space in my Tacoma to move stuff into storage. I did fantasize about it though....my upstairs neighbors (and my wife) would not like me.

Oh, and trusting you was easy. The nosy neighbor across the street is on my payroll. He's got all sorts of neat electronic snooping devices.  :nono:

If I can locate some Abyss, I'll bring it over.

Seriously though, thank you, Alan. I really did buy them before I was ready for them and your baby sitting them was very helpful. It would have been a shame to stick them in storage for three months.  :banana piano: :beer: :violin: :drums: :guitar:

rbbert

« Reply #47 on: 7 Oct 2017, 01:17 am »
I bet you will appreciate having them broken in for you!  Only in the last week or so have my Ulysses really opened up; I’ve had them for about 4 wks, and I think Lou had them completed in his shop and breaking in there for about 10-12 days before shipp8ng them to me, so you have probably saved yourself a monh or so of sub-optimal listening  :)

mresseguie

« Reply #48 on: 7 Oct 2017, 01:26 am »
Hi, Rob.

I forget exactly how many days Lou ran them, but it was enough for him to be confident of their being broken in. Alan and I took them straight over to gregfisk's for a wild day of listening.

I think everyone needs to offer Alan a big group hug cuz he's going to have to part with them on Wednesday.

You're correct, though, in that Lou's speakers need a long time to fully break in thanks to his 'crossovers on steroids' approach to crossover design.

A_shah

« Reply #49 on: 7 Oct 2017, 02:51 am »
Jump in a Cessna....hop on over.... :thumb:

Unless I can scramble up a nice amp and DAC, I'll be powering them with my Nuprime IDA-8. Won't that be funny? Pairing an under $1k all-in-one with $14k speakers... :lol:

The Apollos are 8 Ohm 96.5dB, so even this modest amp will make them sing pretty well - not as well as Alan's Modwright, of course...

Thanks for the offer , it would take 5 plus hours of flying time to Portland , OR  in a C-172  depending on the WX near mountain Shaista, but you know what I may just take  a day trip  or over night  commercial flight to OR and talk to Lou, and listen on to your system maybe , I did write to Lou he suggested coming to Rocky mountain Show , which would have been Great but had scheduling issues . Nuprime IDA-8 ? could not find much on it ? is that a Class D amp ? if so that would be  bummer LOL . Cheers

aldcoll

« Reply #50 on: 7 Oct 2017, 03:02 am »
Lou is just a few miles from the Canadian border so Seattle is the jumping off point.

Alan

P.S. I have found cases of OLD Abyss sold at its original price: :flame: :flame:

A_shah

« Reply #51 on: 7 Oct 2017, 03:30 am »
Lou is just a few miles from the Canadian border so Seattle is the jumping off point.

Alan

P.S. I have found cases of OLD Abyss sold at its original price: :flame: :flame:

Wow ! thanks Alan , you made life easy, just checked , the closest airport to Lou is BLE , BellingHam WA, , allegiant airline flies their on the cheap 50 bucks from Oakland CA. a 0ne  trip would be less than a $ 100. bucks , I can than go and visit  BIL ( brother in Law )in Surrey and fly back the next day.
A_Shah

aldcoll

« Reply #52 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:28 pm »
Well October has just stared my life has come to a sad end.  My baby sitting duty has gone Bye Bye :|

Now the folks of Taiwan can enjoy these fine speakers.

Alan

mresseguie

« Reply #53 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:54 pm »
Who's that thug? You should have whacked him over the head with a 2x4 and buried him in the garden.

They're safely standing in my Vancouver apartment living room awaiting my modest travel amp for three weeks of joyous listening before I ship them to Taiwan. My D Sachs Kootenay 120 will be delivered in 2 weeks. Then, that will go, too.

Thanks again.

I checked with MOC in Corvallis today. The Abyss won't be distributed for another month or so. Enjoy the Pinot Noir.

Michael

A_shah

« Reply #54 on: 13 Oct 2017, 12:58 am »
Who's that thug? You should have whacked him over the head with a 2x4 and buried him in the garden.

They're safely standing in my Vancouver apartment living room awaiting my modest travel amp for three weeks of joyous listening before I ship them to Taiwan. My D Sachs Kootenay 120 will be delivered in 2 weeks. Then, that will go, too.

Thanks again.

I checked with MOC in Corvallis today. The Abyss won't be distributed for another month or so. Enjoy the Pinot Noir.
Michael
Congratulations  you gentleman have me confused , finances do  permit right now (subject WAF),  Sabrina's or the Apollo or Ulysses  for 2018 after XMas I have heard the Sabrina's but never the Daedalus speakers , have fun , Cheers !

mresseguie

« Reply #55 on: 13 Oct 2017, 01:27 am »
Sorry to confuse you, A_shah.

Alan and I were having a joke between us.

The 'thug' above is of me helping Alan box up my Apollos in his living room. His speaker sitting ended yesterday. My speakers are now in my Vancouver apartment. They will remain there for approximately three weeks before I box them up for shipping to Taiwan.

Alan very much enjoyed keeping the Apollos for me while my wife and I were traveling. Now, he must readjust to not having the wonderful sounding Apollos to listen to every day. Perhaps, he'll still find happiness as I am keeping my eyes open for Lampizator DAC sales (that suit my wants) while I am in Taiwan this winter.  :thumb:

MOC is Market of Choice grocery market. The Abyss is the Deschutes Brewery excellent tasting stout that is released just once each year. A bottle of The Abyss is pictured in Alan's avatar window. I had planned to buy some for him to ease his pain, but it is not yet available.

Enjoy your search for wonderful speakers!

Michael

I'm unfamiliar with the Sabrina speakers. Who manufactures them? [Edit] I found them. The Sabrinas and Apollos are a bit different. The Sabrinas are 87dB, 4 ohm 31Hz to 21k KHz three-ways whereas the Apollos are 96.5dB, 8 ohm 20Hz to 24kHz three-ways. I can understand the attraction to three-ways.

mresseguie

Re: New Apollo's In The House till October....Update
« Reply #56 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:38 pm »
This morning was just horrible. I had to box up my Apollos because I'm just about to place my home on the market, and because I fly back to Taiwan in 6 days(!).  :cry:

I'd spent the last couple days wondering where to store my beautiful speakers, and finally decided that they'd be safest sitting in a fellow audiophile's living room. I shot Aldcol an email this morning asking him if he would be willing to sacrifice some space in his living room for 6 to 8 weeks. I gave him my cell phone number and asked him to call me. I think I had to wait three whole minutes before my phone rang.  :)

And now they're already boxed up and in his car soon to arrive in his home.  :cry: I'll miss them.

Take good care of my babies!

monte

« Reply #57 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:44 pm »
That’s what friends are for

A_shah

« Reply #58 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:50 pm »
Michael
Glad Alan will come and pick them up otherwise I would have made you the offer and paid shipping both ways and would have had the pleasure of listening to them for 6/8 weeks along with my Poseidon, One big issue with these are they are a hassle to to pack how do keep doing it and moving them all the time ? I need to ship mine back to  Lou for the new trim rings and the new tweeters in July , just thinking about packing is sooo discouraging
Have a safe trip to Taiwan !
Asghar 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #59 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:51 pm »
This morning was just horrible. I had to box up my Apollos because I'm just about to place my home on the market, and because I fly back to Taiwan in 6 days(!).  :cry:

I'd spent the last couple days wondering where to store my beautiful speakers, and finally decided that they'd be safest sitting in a fellow audiophile's living room. I shot Aldcol an email this morning asking him if he would be willing to sacrifice some space in his living room for 6 to 8 weeks. I gave him my cell phone number and asked him to call me. I think I had to wait three whole minutes before my phone rang.  :)

And now they're already boxed up and in his car soon to arrive in his home.  :cry: I'll miss them.

Take good care of my babies!

:rotflmao: