VR5se Anniversary - For Sale

whytejon

VR5se Anniversary - For Sale
« on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:45 am »

Hey guys,

Ive had my VR5s for about 2 months now, and i have tried to fall for them, but i just keep having doubts that they are right for me.

Im going to put them up for sale and if someone comes along with a sensible offer, then i may very well be tempted to sell them and try something else (not sure what yet)!  :?

I still have my Proac Response D80s, so i will probably use those again if the VR5s sell.

Ping me a note if your interested.....

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR5se Anniversary - For Sale
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm »
Jon,

Sorry the annies aren't working out for you.  I absolutely love mine.  Good luck in your search.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:14 pm »

Hey guys,

Ive had my VR5s for about 2 months now, and i have tried to fall for them, but i just keep having doubts that they are right for me.

Im going to put them up for sale and if someone comes along with a sensible offer, then i may very well be tempted to sell them and try something else (not sure what yet)!  :?

I still have my Proac Response D80s, so i will probably use those again if the VR5s sell.

Ping me a note if your interested.....

Tell us about your room and what you don't like about the'5s.

Ambiance

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2009, 01:24 pm »
Hmm

Do you use Lamm as power amp? If so, I think that might give you dull sound on VR5. If you are having same issues as me, I would try BAT 600SE, or MC501 or something that has a different sound then what you are using now.

A.

McTwins

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2009, 08:35 am »
Hi
I don't think that the amps causing the problem. I have two Quad 909 amp running in be-amp config and I have excellent sound.

whytejon......
You haven't explain how you have your speakers setup, or better, show a pictures of your room so we can see how it looks like.

Thanks

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2009, 06:23 pm »
   Off to the side here,maybe i missed em,but where are the Uni 2's on the web site?Thanks

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2009, 06:55 pm »
Another few weeks when the pictures are ready.

bummrush

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2009, 08:17 pm »
Thanks,since i listen in a small room i'm always looking for speakers like these.Pricing is how much?Thanks again.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:57 pm »
Hi Bummrush,

The Unifield Two and Three are designed for small rooms.
The Unifield Two retails around $ 9000.

Cor

whytejon

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:12 pm »

Well ive been tweeking away as usual.

Put some fairly high end Mullard valves into my pre-amp about a week ago, they are just opening up now, and sounding superb versus what i had in there before.

Im also trying out a Naim HDX with 555PS at the moment, (it needs the 555PS to shine).  :thumb:

The sound im getting from the VR5s is really starting to get there, the bass in particular (i always felt it was lacking) is now huge, i can feel it in my chest, and vibrating the sofa, but not at the expense of any other frequencies, they are all there in equal proportion!

The thing i found disappointing about the VR5s intially, was that i didnt think that they were much of an upgrade versus my Proac D80s, considering the difference in price.  They are better, but sound per pound, im still not sure on that one.  :scratch:

However, this weekend, it all seemed to work, and i found myself struggling to get off my sofa and do anything else but listen to familar disks, which sounded captivating - finally......  :)

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:33 pm »
Please contact me directly, so I can determine why you have not been able to set up the speakers correctly.
In a correct setup with your equipment, the speakers should sound as good or better than anything else you can find for under $50,000.  I suspect that you have not had the speakers long enough to achieve break in, and the placement of the VR-5 Anniversary is not "obvious" but requires serious dedication if you want to really hear them at their potential.  I can be reached at our factory (951) 696-3662 between 10:00am and 9:00pm Monday through Friday.
Best regards,
Albert Von Schweikert

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2009, 12:37 am »

Put some fairly high end Mullard valves into my pre-amp about a week ago, they are just opening up now, and sounding superb versus what i had in there before.

Hi Jon,

I also put some Mullard CV491s and Mullard Holland ecc88 goldpins in my LL2 some time back and yes, the effect was not subtle. Changing the 6922s on my M2.2s likewise to Mullard (CV2492s) again made the sound more organic and alive. I'm partial to CVs as these milspec versions retain the Mullard mids while having Telefunken like speed and Siemens like extension. Expensive as heck but well worth it. Dimfer and Keith also use CV491s in their LL2s and have identical results. :)

The SRs and 5s do need some cajoling especially with regards to speaker positioning to sound their best. Not an easy thing to do with carpeted flooring but I promise it is worth the effort. I'd take Albert up on his offer.

Jack

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2009, 01:09 am »
My VR5 Anniversaries reached yet another level sonically when they hit the 400 +/- hour mark.  It was like someone sneaked in during the night and sprinkled magic dust. :dance:  If you are experimenting with optimum placement you'll get there eventually but talking with Albert will shorten the journey...not that the journey isn't a large part of this nutty hobby. aa 

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2009, 08:47 pm »
Hi Jon,

Read your story.

If I may give you a suggestion?

Just try a replacement for the powercable(s).

It all starts with the power from the wall.
Right Voltage, right Current, right Cable.

Good luck,

Cor

htradtk

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2009, 10:53 pm »
Hello,

Speaking of the VR5 Anniversary's, I'm closing in on my one year anniversary with my "Annies" (November 6th). Don't sell them, they just get better with age! I use the McIntosh MC352 with Analysis plus oval nine biwire to drive them. Enjoy!

Henry

cuprone1

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2009, 09:17 pm »
Hi Guys.
I am from Italy, close to Milan.
We have no Vs importer here. Please let me know a fair  price in $ for a mint used pair of VR-7se, VR-5 anniv. and VR-9SE.
Many thanks for help.
greetings from Italy.
Best Regards
Piero

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2009, 10:53 pm »
Ciao Piero,

Prova:  http://www.dnaudio.it/

Saluti da Olanda,

Cor

cuprone1

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:40 pm »
Thanks Cor,thks for the link but no used speakers there.
Some other ideas?
Best regards