Khartago: Replaced 1 blown fuse, should I also replace the other 3 good ones?

gregcss

I blew a fuse while testing speaker cables. I replaced it and all is good. One thing I noticed is the right channel seems a bit louder than the left now. However, I did rearrange all my cables - moved the power cables to the other side, separated interconnects and speaker cables etc. Not sure which (if either) are causing this. I did by 10 fuses so I might as well replace the other 3 good ones, right?? I'm letting it play now and will take another listen soon to see if it was just me.

Folsom

Are they the same fuses?

It might just "burn in" a little. There's a tendency for gear that isn't burned in to overshoot, so it's louder in an obnoxious way briefly as it's working harder to drive the unit till it settles.

Could be time to upgrade to audiophile fuses.

gregcss

Are they the same fuses?

It might just "burn in" a little. There's a tendency for gear that isn't burned in to overshoot, so it's louder in an obnoxious way briefly as it's working harder to drive the unit till it settles.

Could be time to upgrade to audiophile fuses.

The one I replaced is the same as recommended in the manual - 6.3A 250v Type 5 x 20mm Fast Blow. It's Littelfuse brand if that matters and the tiny symbol on it appears to be the same as the others.

This was also the first seconds/minutes of playing music after replacing. Going back now to have a listen.

gregcss

I forgot that I had an SPL meter. Left measured 1 db higher than the right so I guess I was just hearing (or not hearing) things earlier.

In any case, I was just curious if it was a best practice to replace all of them or not.

Folsom

If they have a day of being being turned on, and that remains, I'd be concerned. Maybe someone else has more experience on shorter term fuse lifespan (performance). It's not a concern that I'd usually note.

But shoot, why not just replace them all and do some troubleshooting, see if the meter reads the same.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
very bad problem to have,and very difficult to solve,i guess one amp is not performing as it should.. :green:

Folsom

I'm sure Klaus can say what's up, like if something in the feedback network is vulnerable.

klaus@odyssey

Fuses shouldn't make a difference in volume...SPL meters are not 100 % correct as to where you would place them when comparing side by side, and 1 dB  for this check is nothing...BUT you seem to hear it....bias could have jumped a bit ???  reverse left and right and see what happens...

gregcss

Fuses shouldn't make a difference in volume...SPL meters are not 100 % correct as to where you would place them when comparing side by side, and 1 dB  for this check is nothing...BUT you seem to hear it....bias could have jumped a bit ???  reverse left and right and see what happens...

Thanks for the response. I reversed the cables and nothing followed. When re-arranging the cables I moved the speakers and right front room treatment panel and put them back in almost the same spot. I think these minor changes are what I am noticing and nothing else.
The important thing is it sounds awesome  :thumb: