Blue Circle

melville

Blue Circle
« on: 14 Feb 2005, 09:13 pm »
Is there anyone on this forum who uses a Blue Circle SS amp with Reference 3a speakers?  If so, please give your impressions.

Audiopro

• Industry Participant
    • DTS Audio Electronics
Blue Circle
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2005, 01:54 pm »
Which Blue Circle amp are you using, or are you considering buying?

PhilNYC

Blue Circle
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2005, 03:07 pm »
Also, is there a specific Reference 3A speaker you are using?

melville

Specifics
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2005, 05:56 pm »
Amp: Blue Circle BC26
Speakers:  Royal Virtuoso

The amp will do double duty in my 2-channel HT setup.  Yes, I know that this is more power than I need.

Fife12

Blue Circle
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2005, 06:07 pm »
Yes, I know that this is more power than I need

No such thing.  :mrgreen:

PhilNYC

Blue Circle
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2005, 06:41 pm »
I've heard the Reference 3A L'Integrale being driven by a BC26mkII and thought it was pretty good.  Perhaps just a bit tilted up, but then again, I've heard the DeCapo I being driven by some tube gear that I thought was a little tilted up as well (perhaps it is a taste thing).  Otherwise, it sounded dynamic with good warmth in the midrange and good bass definition.

Audiopro

• Industry Participant
    • DTS Audio Electronics
Blue Circle
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:06 pm »
I've not heard your particular speaker, but given the family sound of 3A speakers, I'd say it would be a decent match. I would agree with PhilNYC, might be a bit upward tilted but the BC is a very smooth amp in the top end. You really need to try the combo to be sure, but I think you'll be happy.

mcrespo71

Blue Circle
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:35 pm »
The Royal Virtuouso has the sweetest top end of any of the Reference 3a speakers, so would be the best match with the BC gear.  Have I heard the 206 Phil?

PhilNYC

Blue Circle
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:50 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Have I heard the 206 Phil?

Mike, you've heard the 206 (it's what we had at HE2004, as well as the Rave at my place over the summer).  Probably not at its best in either place because of room issues...the other NY Ravers will tell you how improved the setup is at my place now with placement and room treatments in place.  But you have not heard the BC26 solid state amp.

But with 92db speakers like the Royal Virtuoso's, I'd go BC202 or BC204.  The BC 200 series amps combine the best attributes of the 20 series...the speed, body and extension of the BC26 with the harmonic richness and warmth of the BC28.  If you don't mind changing four 6922 tubes every couple of years, IMHO it's an easy choice over the BC26 sonically...

mcrespo71

Blue Circle
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2005, 08:22 pm »
If you are set on buying a BC, I'd go with whatever BC is the warmest sounding.  Obviously, PHILNYC is the one to talk to regarding this.

Michael

melville

Thank-you for the opinions
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2005, 08:22 pm »
Thank-you for your informative responses.

I am buying the BC26 because I can get a good deal on a used one in excellent condition.  I actually sold my Art Audio Carissa so that I could buy the Blue Circle.  The Carissa is brilliant, but I need more power for HT soundtracks, and I want something that will also sound good for 2-channel stereo.  I am also weary of transformer hum and 'tube nervosa' - the nagging need to upgrade to better NOS or, in the case of the Carissa, Kron 845s.

mcrespo71

Blue Circle
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2005, 08:29 pm »
That's funny you sold the Art Audio.  There is one RV owner on the Reference 3a circle and he has an Art Audio SET amp and absolutely swears by it.  As for needing a lot of power, I've tried many amps with my MMDCI's and they don't need much power at all.  In fact, the most beguiling sound I've heard from them was with a 1.5 watt SET amp 2A3 based.  The worst I've heard was a Unico hybrid integrated and I heard a Plinius high output SS integrated, which was pretty good, though not as good as my own VTL monoblocks or the 1.5 SET I heard with them.  You will probably be giving something up by going solid state from the Art Audio, but you've got to compromise if you want both home theater and audio, especially with this speaker brand.

Michael

melville

Blue Circle
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2005, 08:40 pm »
I only need the power for HT.  It is very easy to clip a 16w/ch tube amp (even an 845) with movie soundtracks.  Otherwise, yes, the Carissa has more than enough power for 2-channel stereo into the Virtuosos.  If the combination does not work, the 3a speakers will be easy to sell, and I have always been curious about panels.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Blue Circle
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2005, 10:01 pm »
Quote from: melville
I only need the power for HT.  It is very easy to clip a 16w/ch tube amp (even an 845) with movie soundtracks.  Otherwise, yes, the Carissa has more than enough power for 2-channel stereo into the Virtuosos.  If the combination does not work, the 3a speakers will be easy to sell, and I have always been curious about panels.

Maybe you could try a speaker with higher sensitivity like the new Omega Speakers with the fancy hempcone.  From everythign I read on hempcones, they sound like an enticing match for any amplifier.  Of course, the sensitivity would have to be higher for the Carissa to work home theater well...but I have heard Art Audio stuff and just love it...

I emailed Tone Tubbies about their work on a raw 8" driver and they say it's in the works...

Here is another choice that looks good on paper:

OwenMeany

Blue Circle
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2005, 01:59 am »
Hi Phil,

I too have become interested in the BC linup. But I am not at the price point for the amps you have mentioned.

I have De Cappo i's & Naim CDX.  Seeking to spend 5-6K for a pre & amp. Can I get smooth highs, SS lows and great soundstage for in that price point?

Thanks, JTB

Bingenito

Blue Circle
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:14 am »
Congrats on the BC26. I own a BC26MKII and ordered a BC3000MKII tube line stage to go with it.

I could not be happier with the 26.

PhilNYC

Blue Circle
« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:40 am »
Quote from: OwenMeany
Hi Phil,

I too have become interested in the BC linup. But I am not at the price point for the amps you have mentioned.

I have De Cappo i's & Naim CDX.  Seeking to spend 5-6K for a pre & amp. Can I get smooth highs, SS lows and great soundstage for in that price point?

Thanks, JTB

JTB...a very popular BC setup is the BC21.1 tubed preamp paired with the BC22mkII solid state amp.  The BC21.1 w/Shallco volume control is $1900, and the BC22mkII is $2150.  It would definitely give you the things you are looking for.  The BC22mkII is a 125wpc version of the BC26mkII.

The next step up would be going to the BC3 Despina mkII tubed preamp ($3495), which would give you more transparency and refinement, particularly in the midrange.  You could also go with the BC24 ($2450) hybrid amp to get more of that refinement, but I think you'd lose some of the SS lows you are looking for.

So for your price range, the BC3 Despina mkII/BC22mkII would be a terrific combination...

melville

For Bingenito
« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2005, 05:36 pm »
Bingenito:

It's good to hear from another owner.  I will have mine in about 1 week.  My system also consists of:

Bent Audio Noh - Series lll (w/Sieden and remote)
Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 (Pcx mods)
Pioneer Elite 47Ai DVD (fully modded by Dan Wright)
DVDO iSCAN Ultra
Panasonic TH-42PA20 Plasma Display
REL Q108e (all I need for my small room)

Those Incredarray speakers are quite spectacular.  I have heard that they also sound 'incredible'.  For now, I will have to be content with my Royal Virtuosos, but Magnepans or MLs beckon (now that I have the juice).