How much money to achieve the Highest Fidelity?

VinceT

Re: How much money to achieve the Highest Fidelity?
« Reply #60 on: 29 Dec 2020, 07:22 pm »
You should spend the $$ to have a large, dedicated audio room that is designed from the ground up for good sound. 

Also need to look into the electrical wiring of the home, the grid where you live etc. to insure you get any hum and interference out systen ....  and the tube amps  :lol:

I am convienced in my older home that would need to be addressed along with the room treatments. I agree if you can tinker and do more diy you can get there for much cheaper.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #61 on: 29 Dec 2020, 07:45 pm »
  You should spend the $$ to have a large, dedicated audio room that is designed from the ground up for good sound.

Nope.  Skip the room entirely.  Set up your system outside.

VinceT

« Reply #62 on: 29 Dec 2020, 07:53 pm »

I think you are onto something, I wonder if a Tesla coil would create a cleaner signal and better noise floor?

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #63 on: 29 Dec 2020, 08:04 pm »
Ahh No. I've heard it myself when I purchase an expensive multi-channel pre-amp processor. But the secret going from Mid-Fi to Hi-Fi was having two dacs instead of just one. That is when my jaw hit the floor, and I could not have achieved Hi-Fi without that pre-amp processor.

As for audiophile descriptors, it is necessary so that other people know what the heck we are talking about. I was never good at math because I didn't learn the basics descriptors properly. Same goes for audiophile descriptors, if you wanna understand what is being talked about you need to learn the language. Otherwide people don't know what the heck I'm saying. Not because I like being an audiophile snob. :shake:

Sent a PM to your mailbox - I'm curious to learn about your digital front end,  and don't want to hijack the thread. 

nc42acc

« Reply #64 on: 29 Dec 2020, 08:04 pm »
I think you guys are onto something but audiophilia would become a seasonal hobby for most.

I think you are onto something, I wonder if a Tesla coil would create a cleaner signal and better noise floor?

twitch54

« Reply #65 on: 29 Dec 2020, 08:20 pm »
$257,932.78 + tax  :lol:

not if you buy in Delaware, land of tax free shopping !

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #66 on: 30 Dec 2020, 01:39 am »
Tyson I agree the room is one of the biggest factors in achieving great sound quality but I don't think the dedicated room is feasible for the majority of the audiophiles. We can arrange and treat the room we do have to get the best possible results.

Less crazy than you'd think - I have 2 friends here in Colorado that did exactly this.  One even went so far as to design a room within a room in order to decouple it from the rest of the house. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #67 on: 30 Dec 2020, 01:53 am »
Probably with a much larger ROI than pouring an equivalent amount of money into more/better/costlier equipment would have.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #68 on: 30 Dec 2020, 01:54 am »
Ahh No. I've heard it myself when I purchase an expensive multi-channel pre-amp processor. But the secret going from Mid-Fi to Hi-Fi was having two dacs instead of just one. That is when my jaw hit the floor, and I could not have achieved Hi-Fi without that pre-amp processor.

As for audiophile descriptors, it is necessary so that other people know what the heck we are talking about. I was never good at math because I didn't learn the basics descriptors properly. Same goes for audiophile descriptors, if you wanna understand what is being talked about you need to learn the language. Otherwide people don't know what the heck I'm saying. Not because I like being an audiophile snob. :shake:

Inquisitive minds want to know....Care to share <here or in a new thread>? [Found it in the Bryston Circle.]

:popcorn:

Mag

« Reply #69 on: 30 Dec 2020, 12:13 pm »
Inquisitive minds want to know....Care to share <here or in a new thread>? [Found it in the Bryston Circle.]

:popcorn:

Well, it's kind of a secret. I've use the above method for the last 8 years but I used it with another AVR for a few years before that.

I've known since 2005 that a dac can be used to correct recordings. The important thing to know here is that a dac's output is better than the input even if it only by a small margin.

So with a recording corrected or as good as it gets with a dac, I can achieve High Fidelity playback. :smoke:

Craig B

« Reply #70 on: 30 Dec 2020, 12:48 pm »
I love how people talk about high fidelity like it's an absolute, objective measure, or a fixed thing like a finish line you've crossed ("Finally! I now have High Fidelity!").

At least in the thread title, the OP speaks of "highest" fidelity, which implies at least one finite element - the fact that under no circumstances (or further expenditures) can it be improved in any way. Like that would be any easier to talk about.  :roll:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #71 on: 30 Dec 2020, 01:53 pm »
Less crazy than you'd think - I have 2 friends here in Colorado that did exactly this. One even went so far as to design a room within a room in order to decouple it from the rest of the house.
From time to time, I think of all the things you could do for a SOTA listening room - never went quite that far. Wow.

Things I have thought about:
1) Consultation in design from Acoustical Engineer/Architect. (I know there used to be a Company that specialized in this for Home Audio, but they went out of business years ago). "Golden Ratio" Room dimensions. Non Parallel Walls. Staggered studs with Green Goo between studs and drywall (or whatever)
2) Something along the lines of an Equi=Tech Main Electrical panel for the House or at least a Sub Panel the Room itself.
3) Premium Wiring.
4) Upgraded outlets.
5) Ultra Low Noise HVAC system.
6) Acoustical treatments. Tri traps in the corners . A mix of Absorption & Diffraction on walls & ceiling.

I'm sure there's more. I could see upwards of $100k just on a room.

Mag

« Reply #72 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:11 pm »
A word of wisdom comes to mind "do not throw pearls before swine". :smoke:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #73 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:37 pm »
I think I've been called a pig!  I've been insulted!
I think I'll just turn off the computer and go put a record on my mid fi system!

Craig B

« Reply #74 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:50 pm »
One surprisingly effective method of decoupling is to install your listening room's drywall on resilient "Z" channels instead of directly to the studs and joists. It's not quite like building a room within a room, but it's high on the bang-for-your-buck meter.

SET Man

« Reply #75 on: 12 Jan 2021, 01:02 am »
Hey!

A bit late in this but when I saw the title it immediately reminded me of the old Tootsie Pop Mr. Owl TV commercial :lol: I'm pretty sure those in the US know what I'm talk about.

Anyway, from my own personal experience. I've heard many systems over the years, at audio shows, at dealers, and in a real life home settings. Ranging from simple to super complicated expensive systems. Some expensive systems I've heard made me want to run out of the room and some less expensive system actually managed to keep me on the chair and listen to the music... and vice versa of course. So, with that I can honestly say that I just don't have a single definitive answer to that question.

Well,... the world may never know.

Buddy