100 Greatest Guitarists of all the time

rmurray

Re: 100 Greatest Guitarists of all the time
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2011, 11:59 pm »
Jesse Cook followed by Tiny Tim......... :lol:

orientalexpress

« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:14 am »
Rolling Stone Magazine jump the shark long time ago.i don't know any friends have subscribe to rolling stone mag in last 20 years  :nono:

lapsan

acwd1950

« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:20 am »
Really? Thats a joke! Eric Clapton is better than Page! I think not! Put him above the likes of his mentors of B.B. King and Muddy? Eric dont even hold a candle to Page and Eddie Van Halen! JMO!

Steve

PRELUDE

« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:36 am »
Rory Gallagher is my vote :thumb:

al.
Good point al. :thumb:
I did not even see it.But how you want to talk Guitar and forget about Rory Gallagher.
I am also a big fan of him.

Freo-1

« Reply #24 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:40 am »
Good point al. :thumb:
I did not even see it.But how you want to talk Guitar and forget about Rory Gallagher.
I am also a big fan of him.

He (Rory Gallagher) is on the list.

I still cannot understand how Charlie Christian could be left off the list.  Ask any of the guys (who are still around) on the list about him.

PRELUDE

« Reply #25 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:46 am »
I think we all as music lovers can vote much better then any mag.
I cannot see Chris Rea and it is too bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x4C5YLBxtU

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:38 am »
I like Rolling Stone, though I'm not sure about this list. 

won ton on

« Reply #27 on: 27 Nov 2011, 02:09 am »
Jeff Beck

bunnyma357

« Reply #28 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:43 am »
Seems like a reasonable list for a mainstream magazine. For my personal list of less popular artists - but the guitarists I'm more likely to listen to, I'd add these guys:

Chris Spedding
Eddie Cochran
Roy Buchanan
Steve Hillage
Danny Gatton
Mick Jones (Clash & BAD)
Wayne Kramer
Paul Weller
Dave Edmunds
Steve Tibbets
Nils Lofgren
Jack Hickey (Lyres - Best Garage Tone Ever)
Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner
George Thorogood
Marshall Crenshaw
James Calvin Wilsey (Early Chris Isaak)

Jim C

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:45 am »
There are many great guitarists listed in the RS list, but many have been ignored. Django and Grant Green have been mentioned, but almost all other great guitarists have been missed.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazzguitar.html

And what about Andres Segovia? Was he chopped liver?

Dave

terrycym

« Reply #30 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:33 pm »
What about Hank Marvin?
How can it be taken seriously if he's not in the top 5?

blutto

« Reply #31 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:32 pm »
Seems like a reasonable list for a mainstream magazine. For my personal list of less popular artists - but the guitarists I'm more likely to listen to, I'd add these guys:

Chris Spedding
Eddie Cochran
Roy Buchanan
Steve Hillage
Danny Gatton
Mick Jones (Clash & BAD)
Wayne Kramer
Paul Weller
Dave Edmunds
Steve Tibbets
Nils Lofgren
Jack Hickey (Lyres - Best Garage Tone Ever)
Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner
George Thorogood
Marshall Crenshaw
James Calvin Wilsey (Early Chris Isaak)

Jim C

....nice call on Wilsey...a much unappreciated but great player...

....gosh are these lists mug's games or what...every time they come out they are vastly different...but always a wonderful focal point for discussion and spirited argument...

...would like to toss in Mickey Baker ( who was, incidently, No. 3 in one of the original lists way back when...in the book The Book of Rock Lists, from Rolling Stone circa 1984....placed just after Hendrix and Berry on that particular list )....and Jimmy Bryant....and Merle Travis....Albert Lee ( these last three from the country genre which is chock full of great though under publicized players...and publicized seems the key to these lists...so they should maybe be more properly seen as most popular guitarist lists as opposed to greatest...just a thought...)...

Cheers

blutto

95Dyna

« Reply #32 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:19 pm »
It may be a flawed list but they got #1 and #2 right, Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman.  Of the top 100 four of them have flown in the orbit of the Allman Brothers Band.  In addition to Duane are Dickie Betts, Warren Haynes and Derrick Trucks (nephew of the Allman Bros. drummer Butch Trucks).

Eat a Peach, baby!

Æ

« Reply #33 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:43 pm »
It may be a flawed list but they got #1 and #2 right, Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman.

I don't know which list/version you are looking at, but the one referenced by the OP has Eric Clapton at the #2 spot.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

BrysTony

« Reply #34 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm »
I don't know which list/version you are looking at, but the one referenced by the OP has Eric Clapton at the #2 spot.

And Duane Allman came in at 9th.  Lists like these always generate a lot of disagreement.  Everyone has an opinion and I suppose that is as it should be.  My favorite is Stevie Ray Vaughn who came in at 12th.  I would swap him out with #2 Clapton.

Tony

95Dyna

« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2011, 12:43 am »

Sorry, didn't know there was a new and improved list.  Rolling Stone had a top 100 list published 3 or 4 years ago in which Duane Allman was 2nd.  I guess it doesn't pay to be dead when it comes to holding your place in the RS Top 100.  Now if any of the artists between 9 and 2 are also dead what then must we conclude in the matter.  :scratch:

Æ

« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:18 am »
Sorry, didn't know there was a new and improved list.  Rolling Stone had a top 100 list published 3 or 4 years ago in which Duane Allman was 2nd.  I guess it doesn't pay to be dead when it comes to holding your place in the RS Top 100.  Now if any of the artists between 9 and 2 are also dead what then must we conclude in the matter.  :scratch:

Yeah, apparently there were several excellent guitarists left off of the list. Makes you wonder if Rolling Stone (the voters) even know who the unmentioned are. Certainly not an enviable job having to pick 100 best guitarists.
I still wonder why Tommy Bolin was left off the list, having performed for several rather well known bands and later having his own burgeoning solo career. Then dying of an overdose!

Deal of the Day

« Reply #37 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:27 am »

I agree completely. SRV was and is my favorite of all time. I can't imagine what he would be like now if he were still living.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #38 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:59 am »
How about Tal Wilkenfeld? Or do bass players not count on the RS list?

<<< see pic

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #39 on: 28 Nov 2011, 02:58 am »
And what about Andres Segovia? Was he chopped liver?

Dave
These "Greatest" list are usually a pop culture item.  Comparing Segovia to Beck/Clapton/etc. is like comparing Duke Ellington to Vladimir Horowitz- it just doesn't work.  Although Segovia could probably have played anything in the popular catalog, he and Hendrix simply lived in different universes. 

Scott