HAL demo space for The Monoliths is done

HAL

HAL demo space for The Monoliths is done
« on: 20 Mar 2019, 06:55 pm »
The new HAL listening space for The Monoliths is taking shape.  Will use this setup for demos as requested.  Still more setup to do, but getting close. 

Will let everyone know about scheduling a demo when ready.

« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2019, 06:08 pm by HAL »

HAL

Re: HAL demo space for The Monoliths is taking shape
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2019, 04:29 pm »
The Monoliths are up and running.

Did a short demo for a friend this morning and sounded very good.  Now to do more dial in for the new space.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2019, 11:41 pm »
Very cool Rich, congratulations on getting this designed, built and setup!  Do you mind sharing the size of your space, speaker placement in the space and how you arrive at your initial placement prior to tweaking (thinking you have done this enough to have a pretty good idea about speaker location before you begin measuring)?

Best,
Ed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2019, 11:59 pm »
I have to admit, when I read your thread title, I thought it'd be something like this:

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2019, 12:46 am »
Tyson,
Great movie and perfect scene.  Lots of influence at an early age.  Not big on statues in a room.

Ed,
The room is an L, so this is one end that is 14'7" wide and 8' tall.   Total depth is 25', but only about 12' has walls on both sides.   

I start with the speakers 3' from the rear wall and at least 4' from the sides.  That gives about 6'7" between centers in this room.  Pretty close to the same idea as the room for CAF2018.    I use a measuring tape to get the same distances for both speakers.  The first reflection points have absorbers and the front wall has diffusors.  Center image is very stable with depth and between the speakers.   Bass response has to be adjusted now with some measurement and movement to see where to go.

I will be using CARA 2.2 to model the room and speakers soon and see what it suggests, as I did for the CAF2018 room. 

Rich

HAL

Re: HAL demo space for The Monoliths is done
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2019, 06:10 pm »
Both The Monoliths and The Megaliths speaker systems with HAL Music Servers and dspMusikLCD digital crossovers are up and running. 

I can schedule demos for people interested.  Just PM me for details.

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2019, 10:49 pm »
Ed,
The room is an L, so this is one end that is 14'7" wide and 8' tall.   Total depth is 25', but only about 12' has walls on both sides.   

I start with the speakers 3' from the rear wall and at least 4' from the sides.  That gives about 6'7" between centers in this room.  Pretty close to the same idea as the room for CAF2018.    I use a measuring tape to get the same distances for both speakers.  The first reflection points have absorbers and the front wall has diffusors.  Center image is very stable with depth and between the speakers.   Bass response has to be adjusted now with some measurement and movement to see where to go.

I will be using CARA 2.2 to model the room and speakers soon and see what it suggests, as I did for the CAF2018 room. 

Rich

Thanks for that Rich, much appreciated.  You never know what tidbit you might pick up from those in the know.

Best,
Ed

HAL

Re: HAL demo space for The Monoliths is done
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2019, 01:31 am »
Did room measurements today and have The Monoliths sounding very good in the new listening room.

Time for some music listening.