Correct AC phasing on Bryston BDP-3, BDA-3

soundmax

Correct AC phasing on Bryston BDP-3, BDA-3
« on: 19 Sep 2018, 02:13 pm »
Hello,
I have this quick technical question and I would like to know the advice of the Bryston team.

So, when looking at the IEC connector, where exactly the correct AC phase is supposed to enter the BDA-3 and BDP-3, left or right ?
Is there a way to measure ? Will both the BDA and BDP accept the AC phase entering on the same pin, in a standard way, or they could accidentally be different?

A picture with the correct phase might worth a thousand words.

Thank you,

brucek

Re: Correct AC phasing on Bryston BDP-3, BDA-3
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2018, 09:09 pm »
Hello,
I have this quick technical question and I would like to know the advice of the Bryston team.

So, when looking at the IEC connector, where exactly the correct AC phase is supposed to enter the BDA-3 and BDP-3, left or right ?
Is there a way to measure ? Will both the BDA and BDP accept the AC phase entering on the same pin, in a standard way, or they could accidentally be different?

Soundmax, back in the really old days of electronics, the power cords and their associated plugs were two wire systems, consisting of hot and neutral. You had the option of reversing the plug in the wall socket resulting in modifications to the amount of hum and some claimed sound quality of the equipment.

This situation no longer exists. Enter the three wire system with hot, neutral and a ground and CSA approved and mandated wiring. You no longer have to concern yourself with AC phasing of your power cords.

brucek

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2018, 10:49 pm »
brucek ...maybe the op is making a powercord???
Anyway, easiest way to be sure is Google click on images. and just type in "IEC plug wiring"
You will get piles of pictures with no useful info, but then a few with a picture just like yours, that INCLUDEs the info of which is what. (So you do not have to rely on my word)
And for good measure here is a link to a great photo: https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tweaks&n=176395&highlight=visualize+socket&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fforum%3Dsystems%26searchtext%3Dcanto

I KEEP a copy of that photo in my computer so when I need it. I have it.

With it as the picture in the op post for C13
The top one is the ground wire.
The LEFT lower one is the Neutral wire.
The right lower one is HOT.

soundmax

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2018, 07:52 am »
@Elizabeth

Well I know that picture. That is where the live wire should be on the cable.
Nothing guarantees you that the component is designed to expect the live wire in the same place.
So my question is where Bryston expects it, because different manufacturers implement it differently.
IMHO reversing the connector yields to differences in sound and audiophiles always should check for the correct phase.

Look at this review of 2 Bryston components BP173 and 4B3.
The reviewer has specified exactly what phasing he used in the tests.
And surprise - you can see it's reversed from the "standard" way, like in the image you and I both know.

Elizabeth

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2018, 12:49 pm »
soundmax. Since the review is from England, and they use 230V power.. I do not think it is a 'fair' complaint to say it is reversed. Tricky to grab a review from a different country with different electrical supplies and then try to use it to support an argument about the USA electrical and phase. Sure you score brownie points with the tech crowd, but it does no good for the op, just confuses the issue asked about.
So far Googling I have not found if GB uses balanced power to get 230V or not. and also do not 'know' if the reversed GB polarity is NORMAL in UK, and thus Bryston supplies the product to be correct for GB??? I mean they also drive on the reverse side of street...
When you find one in USA.. by all means...
If anyone LIVES in the UK, and they know which IEC C13 pin is 'HOT" (IN THE UK) by all means let us know. Google is a PITA trying to find out, and Wiki is also burying one in unwanted data.. LOL
Plus why try to confuse the simple issue for some question about what is the correct phase (in USA) Actually it does bring up the point the op is not saying he is in USA... And to mention the picture in my previous post IS for USA Wiring!! If you are in some other country, all bets are off.

soundmax

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:31 pm »
I live in Europe (outside UK) and use 230V.
No matter which country you live in, you will always have a live wire (and a neutral and maybe ground). And you know which one because you can test it with a "phase tester" screwdriver.
Let's not focus on the plugs layout.
My question for Bryston team is how the designed their product in this respect: using which pin the live wire should enter the component (by the IEC inlet)?

Looking at this picture, is it left or right ?

Elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:47 pm »
Maybe James can answer your question for other countries.
Added after a relook at the picture of the chassis inlet for the 'review' pictures, and the IEC plug. THEY ARE THE SAME. The exact SAME polarity.
Being able to '3D' the two parts, a PLUG, and a Chassis inlet, plus rotating one 180... Well, they are the same connecting pin HOT.
In the original diagram, and the link. the lower right is HOT. that PLUG, flip over vertical180 so it fits, and plug in INTO the amp review picture. Then you can 'see' the HOT pin is the same one.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2018, 03:11 pm by Elizabeth »

soundmax

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:58 pm »
Hope I'm not mistakening but in the USA the component (the DAC in this case) looks the same, I mean uses an IEC inlet.

Tympani

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:09 pm »

Hi Folks,

If you look at the power socket with the GROUND on the bottom – the right hand side is the HOT and the left is the NEUTRAL

The Bryston IEC on the rear of our equipment has the connector in the same orientation.  Ground on the bottom and hot on the right and Neutral on the left.

In Bryston gear the primary of the transformer is across the HOT and NEUTRAL and therefore no reference to phase.

The protection fuse though is on the HOT side (CSA etc.) and if you reverse that and put the fuse on the NEUTRAL leg then if the fuse blows you still have a shock hazard.

james

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:19 pm »
All of the drawing have a front view and a rear view, so it's easy to get confused.

If  you are making a DIY cord:
a] get an Ohm-meter (it's a function of a DMM meter).
b] get a manufactured cord with a safety seal.
c] make your cord so that it measures the same as the known good cord.

soundmax

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2018, 06:05 pm »
Thank you James, it's the answer I've been looking for.
So it's like this:

Maybe it's good idea to publish this information in the products' manuals.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2018, 06:19 pm »
Correct.

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2018, 08:16 am »

Hi Folks,

If you look at the power socket with the GROUND on the bottom – the right hand side is the HOT and the left is the NEUTRAL

james

Uhm... That is, if the person installing the outlet did his job correctly. It usually is correct, but always check.
I live in The Netherlands, we don't have outlets like the American ones. We can put plugs into the wall two ways. If I want to make sure which side the live one is, I will always have to check.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/