march 19th, saturday, bbq'd chicken at berndts

Berndt

march 19th, saturday, bbq'd chicken at berndts
« on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:18 am »
Hi guys, reached another milestone with my junkpile. My isolation base used to have an inch and a half thick piece of mdf, now it is aluminum.

Accuracy, clarity, and absence of bass feedback are fantastic. I am running a zyx airy3, with an altec 4722 sut.    I built the deck with a pabst empire motor. The whole thing rack base and deck is probably close to 300 lbs. Once you start down the mass path...
The preamp is the Randall ef806 build, phono stage is the Randall 6sl7 build, the amp is a bitsa build from old organ iron. Ef806 driver, 12au7 phase splinter, 6v6pp. Probably 10 watts or so. Long tail cathode follower.
Duke Leguenes wonderful jazz modules.
Bring your vinyl and your appetite.
Starting around noon.
Invite any friends. Love to see some new ac faces.

616 grand avenue, SSF.

Berndt

Re: march 19th, saturday, bbq'd chicken at berndts
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:25 am »

Berndt

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:59 am »
Come on now gentlemen, step right up.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:49 am »
I'm away (in Asia) then, Bill.....you sure don't do half-ass well, my friend :thumb:

One of these days we'll have to join up again. 

Enjoy - John

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:25 am »
I'll light a candle next to your picture on that day. The patron of vinyl.
Getting the zyx cart revealed some isolation issues that once resolved allowed me to tweak the set up. Having vinyl geek friends is requisite. How else would I be able to tweak my antiskate? Edwin came over and was able to hear the antiskate needed adjustment then the tracking force.
I'd be lost without vinyl old timers.  Now once this refinement process was complete another layer of grunge was removed. Next time john...

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:14 am »
Bill, I'll be there, bring some beers! if that is ok.

Are you still using my I/C from phono pre to pre?

T

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:29 pm »
Bill, a couple of us will be coming up from Santa Cruz. I'll pick up some local beer and/or wine. Let me know if you have any preferences. Also, what food can we bring along (appetizers, salads, desserts)?

Len

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:39 pm »
I'm not drinking anymore but if you guys want to that's ok. Snacks,deserts,and side dishes for bbq sound great.
Tuan, running your ics from pre to amp. They weren't shielded enough for the sut to phonostage or phonostageto pre.
I'm getting a little intermittent connection with one of them, maybe you can check it our when you are here.

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:23 pm »
I'm not drinking anymore but if you guys want to that's ok. Snacks,deserts,and side dishes for bbq sound great.
Tuan, running your ics from pre to amp. They weren't shielded enough for the sut to phonostage or phonostageto pre.
I'm getting a little intermittent connection with one of them, maybe you can check it our when you are here.

Will do...and perhaps I'll bring chips and salsa instead of beer since you are a non-drinker?
Do you have a soldering iron or do I need to bring one in case a joint may be bad due to stretching?
T

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:24 pm »
Bill,

I'd be there if it were a wee bit closer.  :(

Your TT is looking really good.  I am going to ask you to build me a plinth yet when I get everything together.

Have a great time.

Berndt

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:56 pm »
I've got an iron ;-)

Sonny

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:57 pm »
that'll do...and i assume solder and the like...if I need to bring something, heatshrink, etc. let me know.
T

Berndt

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:58 pm »
Rim, Let me know what you are thinking about. I have a bit of a backlog but I can keep my eyes open for a piece of material if I know what you have in mind. Need an empire plinth?

orientalexpress

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2011, 01:40 pm »
sweet,can't wait.i be there. :green:

lapsan

Berndt

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2011, 08:58 am »
Lapsang, if you want bring the cherry I'd like to hear it. Bauer is bringing the burning amp pass f4. Be nice to see you.

orientalexpress

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2011, 07:03 am »
cool,will bring cherry .:)

lapsan

beefchowmein

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2011, 05:41 pm »
New to the circle.  Lapsan turn me to this thread.  Marked it on the calendar, will try to make it out and meet some fellow audiophiles!!

Dave

Sonny

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:41 pm »
cool,will bring cherry .:)

lapsan

Lapsan, I'll bring my EVS 100 monos...to see if the Cherry really is better!
Will bring some new model cables as well, called the Sweet Spot Reveal - Silvers!
T

Berndt

« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:36 pm »
New to the circle.  Lapsan turn me to this thread.  Marked it on the calendar, will try to make it out and meet some fellow audiophiles!!

Dave

Welcome.

Berndt

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2011, 01:49 am »
I wanted to post a heads up.
Built a rotissere attachment for my weber so I'm going to change from bbqing to rotissere.
I have shelter so don't need weather to permit.
Rocking out to the iron man two soundtrack and gotta say it sounds better than my acdc originals.
Look forward to seeing the crew!