ONE.3 listening impressions

JoshInTaiwan

ONE.3 listening impressions
« on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:01 am »
Yep... Just got my virtue amp and am thoroughly impressed with the build quality, especially with its weight. It is definitely a solid piece of equipment... much more than I expected. Having owned a couple of t amps this one trounces them in craftsmanship even the one I have costing 3 x's the price of virtue. I look forward to listening to it when I return home. For the next week I'll just stare at it and imagine how nice it will sound in my audio set up (Rega Apollo-R; space tech labs 6L6G tube buffer; "virtue"; Hawthorne 15PSI open baffle)

While in Taiwan I hope to audition it with john blue's new 3F loudspeaker... With my wife's permission of course.

Rocket

Re: ONE.3 listening impressions
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2014, 09:49 am »
Hi Josh,

Your Virtue One.3 looks great and I hope you enjoy it in your system.  Just wondering whether it shipped with a power supply?  I should receive mine next week as I live in Perth, Western Australia and Taiwan is only 3929 miles away.  Seth, just wondering why you went away from using the propeller posts?

Cheers Rod

JoshInTaiwan

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:28 am »
Hi Rod,

Yes, it came with the 24v/65watt power supply. I plan to use it with a furutech power cord. When I visit the states this summer I'm thinking of upgrading to the 30v. I'll have a couple of "break-in" months to decide.

Cheers,
Josh

bardamu

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2014, 01:47 pm »
Hello Josh,
With my sensation i just did go from a big choke input power supply ( 300 plus VA transformer) to a bigger battery supply. Every cent you invest in the power supply will have a BIG return on investment. High performance power supplies are usually heavy so manufactures usually will give you just an adequate one because the weight will make the retail price go way up.Better buy batteries in your own country so to say. Kind greetings, Edward

ericlp151

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:38 pm »
I'm guessing those are the second-generation Propeller Posts with out the propellers attached? 

Yep, going with a battery is definitely the way to go.  Two small SLA 12 Volts at 10 Amps should do wonders and provide about 26 volts in series on fully charged batteries.

Thanks for posting pictures of the amp... Looks good.

JoshInTaiwan

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:55 pm »
Correct. Those are the new posts. It comes with one "propeller" tool. Here is the link Seth sent me: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/propeller-post-binding-posts/propeller-post-16mm-with-tool-set-of-4/

Thanks for the input on power supplies!

I used a battery supply for awhile with my custom amp with great results.... I think that will be the direction I go. Any recommendations? I am "DIY" incompetent.