Lucid White Speaker Line

emac

Re: Lucid White Speaker Line
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2012, 04:06 am »
You are correct they were used as rear surrounds with xstatik, x-voce and 2-mfw15 and I believe they were called x-s but my memory is fuzzy :).  That is the reason for my question earlier about if they can be used for side and rear surrounds right against the wall.

Hopefully, someone (Seth/Danny/Jeff) will chime in and let us know how they will sound.  There is no way I can get them out 3' from the wall for side/rear surrounds.  For rear I might be able to get 12 to 18" but that is about it.

Thanks.  The X-S's sound about right.  And I think they sounded pretty good even though they were close to the walls. 

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2012, 05:55 am »
Here are the other dimensions:

(Mt) Mini 17lbs 13" h x 6.75" w x 11" d
(MtM) Omni 25lbs 17" h x 6.75" w x 9" d
(MMtMM) Center 32lbs 6.75" h x 26" w x 8.625" d

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2012, 09:11 am »
Amazing off axis response.   :o

How'd ya do it?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:53 pm »
Oh yeah, check this one out.

This is the MT. It was also designed based on the off axis response.

Here are the the responses of the woofer and tweeter individually and summed.

Now check it out in the horizontal off axis. It is smoother in the off axis than the on axis. This is 0 (dead on), 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees off axis.

Now check out the vertical off axis. Note the tweeter level in the top end coming up as height is increased.

Pretty cool huh.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:31 pm »
If you guys want kits (no wood), Danny is authorized to sell them to you directly.  We have not finalized prices but he is starting a wait list.

He may or may not choose to simplify the CAD for home assembly.  Ours are a bit nuts me thinks.

Seth

sideways2

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2012, 10:07 pm »
So...still...what do these things sound like?? Comparison??

Synergy with the old Virtue amps??

:)

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2012, 10:14 pm »
which tweeter are you using and what's it like? What's the overall sound profile of the whole speaker?

What's the advantage of the mtm vs mt? Or visa versa?

What is a "rocket" driver?

How would you mate these with a sub in room, what's a good crossover point?

How do these compare to say, an N3?

What's the crossover used and what are the quality of parts there?
What's the warranty on these?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2012, 10:49 pm »
Guys these things sound really good. And they don't cost much at all. So some of you will just have to give them a try to see how good they really sound. You won't be disappointed.

And yes, they will be easy to cross to a sub. Where to cross is almost as much a function of the room and the room gain as the -3db of the speaker an-echoic.

DavidD

« Reply #28 on: 29 Sep 2012, 09:15 pm »
How about impedance and efficiency specs?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #29 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:05 pm »
Guys,

Here's the 20% off discount code.  I'll accept any order until the end of October with this code.

LUCID1ST20

Seth

classicjt2

« Reply #30 on: 9 Oct 2012, 09:50 pm »
Seth-

Me like. I think I pre-ordered a set from the old AV123 that looks sorta like the Mini, but the woofer was on top. These look a lot better built. Omnis make the world go 'round.

James

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct 2012, 01:37 am »
We shipped our first pair of Omnis on Monday and I look forward to seeing some feedback soon!  They are built like tanks; that is for sure!!!!

Postage to Hawaii is subsidized by the government.  Order a pair!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2012, 02:56 am »
Randy said that one of his came dinged - clearly dropped by Fedex.   

Well, we're learning and know that the packing wasn't sufficient.  They ARE heavy mo-fos.

If they were single boxed, that's not sufficient.  If they were double boxed, we need triple boxing, I guess!

It's all good but confirms my reluctance to send any of the first ones overseas.

Seth

Xcalibur

« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:39 am »
What is a "rocket" driver?

The drivers were originally designed for the Onix Rocket series of speakers from AV123.  They're pretty well known for being a high performance and high dollar value speaker in their time.

Rclark

« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:41 am »
I wish we could have gotten more info from my questions, instead of "just buy em and you let us know!". I was interested.

Xcalibur

« Reply #35 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:43 am »
Hi Dannie,

I noticed your FR graphs stop at 200hz.  Could you tell us what the typical in room F3 point is for bass on these speakers?  Obviously with 5" drivers they'd need a sub to fill the bottom end in, but I was wondering if they could hold their own as near field monitors in a 2.0 setup?

A humble second for sensitivity and impedance info from me as well.  I'm guessing with the small drivers they are not going to be flea power friendly (SETs).

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 17 Oct 2012, 04:29 am »
Hi Dannie,

I noticed your FR graphs stop at 200hz.  Could you tell us what the typical in room F3 point is for bass on these speakers?  Obviously with 5" drivers they'd need a sub to fill the bottom end in, but I was wondering if they could hold their own as near field monitors in a 2.0 setup?

A humble second for sensitivity and impedance info from me as well.  I'm guessing with the small drivers they are not going to be flea power friendly (SETs).

The MTM Omni is tuned to 52Hz. So expect good extension. F3 in room will depend as much on the room as the tuning.

The impedance is an easy load for tube amps. The MTM Omni is an 8 ohm speaker with a higher impedance rise in the lower end where current demand is high. As frequency decreases the drivers are in series. So power handling is also high. As frequency increases only the omni mounted driver plays up to the tweeters range.

In fact all of these speakers have an easy impedance load and are tube friendly.

Randy

« Reply #37 on: 20 Oct 2012, 12:32 am »
I received my mtm Omni last week. As Seth said, one speaker arrived dinged up inside a dented box, with a loose crossover. Despite that, the speaker played normally.  I put them on 20 inch stands I happened to have on hand that fit them perfectly. They are placed about two feet from the side walls and three feet out from the wall behind them. They have plenty of room to breath, and indeed, they have an airy, clear sound. They are very neutral, uncolored, and revealing, imo. The bass is what you might expect from a stand mounted speaker of this size, but the sound is well-balanced, and I did not miss the deep bass on the recordings I listened to. In fact, I'd say you actually get surprisingly deep, and tight bass considering the size of the drivers. Overall, I like them very much.  The drivers on top of the speakers certainly give them that omni illusion which is excellent and very enjoyable. You don't have to sit in a sweet spot to get the best out of these speakers. I don't pretend to be an audio reviewer, and am just stating what my impressions are, but I can recommend them highly. I slid my big floor standers into the corner and will be listening to these speakers for the foreseeable future.

I might add that the binding posts are the same propeller posts you find on the Virtue amps.

Addendum: The speakers continue to sound even better as they get some break-in. Very listenable, and a steal at the asking price. They have a rich, full sound.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2012, 03:25 am by Randy »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #38 on: 28 Oct 2012, 07:41 pm »
Thanks, Randy!

Another pair of the smaller Mt's went out last week. 

Per RClark, very few customers so far.  Hope that more people give this concept a shot.  We didn't want to create something traditional to be too competitive with our partners.  These are quite different in design and effect and definitely work a try as a second pair.

Randy

« Reply #39 on: 30 Oct 2012, 07:22 pm »
Photos of the Virtue speakers in my room. The equipment is from top to bottom, Sensation 901, my Sony 5400 CDP, PS Audio GCC - 100 which I use as a preamp (I need the balance control and it adds some gain to the amp while maintaining its transparency), and then my Sony Discman powered by rechargeable battery pack from ALO Audio that I use when I want to get entirely off the grid.  The speakers continue to get better each day as the break in process continues. I may have 30-40 hours on them by now but that's just a guess as I have not been keeping track. The speaker cables are from Virtue.