Veneer Renewal

Tubefly

• Motorcycles, Music, and Trout
Veneer Renewal
« on: 24 Nov 2021, 01:40 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am gifting a set of JBL L60t to my son as he now has a decent amplifier and apartment to appreciate them. The veneer is a bit dry and I am looking for suggestions on what product to use to restore them. My first thought was a simple application of Linseed Oil or Tung Oil. Thoughts?

Best, Alan

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Veneer Renewal
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2021, 03:51 pm »
If choosing between those you list, I'd go with Tung oil.

Can you post a picture or two? Maybe a close-up and overall. If originally a penetrating type finish, renewing with oil might make some sense. If it was more a film finish, oil will make it look shinier but won't penetrate the wood itself to any great degree. Wax might be another possibility.

Contrary to marketing hyperbole wood does not require "feeding" as it ages. It's a dead tree.

Steer clear of stuff like Pledge and the like. Most contain silicone wax, which can look good at first, but is short-lived at best.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2021, 07:20 pm »
This works great on my vintage JBL L-100's...

Cheers,
Pete

dpatters

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2021, 07:34 pm »
Plus one on that Pete! That is what was recommended by a local artisan who made these pieces for me.

Don P.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2021, 11:22 pm »
+2 on the Feed-N-Wax.  It is great way to renew all natural woods.

I built kitchen countertops and a countertop for our dry bar from mesquite and I use it every few months to restore the catalyzed tung oil finish that I used.  I use some 600-800 grit sandpaper to sand it lightly into the finish and after 10 years it looks better and better every time I treat it.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2021, 11:48 pm »
Watco tong oil.

Zuman

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2021, 05:27 am »
Another vote for the Feed 'n' Wax. This was my first-ever veneering project (continued thanks to PeterJ for his expertise and encouragement!) and Feed 'n' Wax was the only finish I applied to the bubinga veneer.

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2021, 10:49 pm »
Anyone with before and after pics?

Paul