Question about Musicmatch Jukebox...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 18 Jul 2003, 03:01 am »
I had a question that maybe you could answer, Witchdoctor.  I'm having trouble trying to burn MP3 to a disc in a specific order.  When I switch to MP3, no matter where I drag & drop the songs or what order, it defaults to the "convert to data" order, which is only alphabetical.  This is driving me nuts, and I know there must be a way to order them in a different way.  Any suggestions?

EchiDna

« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2003, 10:06 pm »
What you are asking for may be possible, but most MP3 rippers I've seen use the numbering convention from the album, ie track number, track name, artist, album name etc... for the original rip.

when trying to get these tracks into a specific order to make a mixed album, the easiest method is probably to rename the tracks by number.
Thats sounds like a time consuming effort though... GL!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2003, 10:31 pm »
Thanks, EchiDna.  I pretty much figured out eventually that numbering them is the only way to change the order.

The best way I've found is:

1.  Create a project folder and designate that as the target where your MP3 files will be saved.

2.  Rip the songs on MMJ and store them in the folder you made.

3.  Set your XP to display "Classic Folders" and changes views to "Tiles" or "Icons".  You can then drag and drop them to rearrange them within your project folder.  Note:  "list" won't work, as you can't deviate from alphabetical order.

4.  Once the order is satifactory, go thru the folder renaming the songs by adding a number to the beginning and incrementing it as you go along.

Yeah, more of a pain than "dragging and dropping" in Nero Express, but really not too bad.

Why on earth won't the damn MM do that for you?  I realize they claim it's a windows limitation, but if they were smarter (or there was more demand) they'd figure something out.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2003, 06:50 pm »
I would send their tech support an e-mail. Are you using DFX? If so make sure you loop it in while creating a CD so the CD will sound better than the original!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2003, 07:33 pm »
Just to clarify, Witchdoctor, have you ever burned an MP3 disc on MM and played it back on something other than your PC?  Have you tried it on a regulare (MP3 compatible) CD player or DVD deck?  If you have and the songs play in some order other than alphabetically, then I'll have to call c/s.

When you play them back on the PC, the playlist will be played back in the order you've selected.  But this is a function of MMJ; my understanding is that the files are still on the disc alphabetically.  MMJ is playing them back in your specified order.  I realize you use your PC as your main digital source, so I realize that you may have never played one of those discs back on anything else.

If my understanding is incorrect, of course, please let me know.  I'm eager to get this figured out! :lol:

BTW, I thus far haven't gotten the DFX plugin.  My reasoning is that if I understand correctly, it's a playback plugin.  So it likely would have no effect on the qualtiy of the MP3 as it's recorded, only as playback is concerned on the computer.  But I dont' play any music whatsoever on my pc- I've just got a crummy yammie 3 pc sub/sat deal and whatever crappy soundcard came with my Compaq computer.  Somewhere down the road I'd like to get a decent soundcard and connect the PC as a jukebox to my main system, but til then I figure the DFX plug wouldn't help me.  Am I wrong?

Later,
Rob

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:07 pm »
Without wanting to start any preference wars I have to reccomend J rivers Media Centre (formerly Media Jukebox) as the best all round player...

Built in ASIO... Remote control features... Client server apps deloped for network control and touchpad / PDA use... Great database / tagging / burning... Multi Zone control for whole house audio... Plus a dev team that constantly listens and actually builds in good ideas (theres a new build every couple of days)....

It is the core of my Audio setup.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2003, 05:44 am »
A quick question to anyone who may know:  if I get a DVD burner, does MMJ support native DVD burning?  I'm thinking 500 high bitrate VBR songs on one DVD disc! :o