Nero 5 vs. Nero 6

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« on: 9 Jul 2003, 12:38 am »
In my weekly pilgrammage to BB for NRT I noticed that Nero Just released version 6.  Now I'm pretty happy with 5; does anyone know if the upgrade is worth it?

I'm considering it as I've got the version that came bundled with my burner.  It does basically everything but MP3, which I've never really considered essential.  However, I am eager to try some tests of high bitrate compressed music vs the 16 bit originals.  In that case updating to the new version may be as economical in the long run as the MP3 plugin available for download.

Any opinions?

Thump553

Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2003, 05:54 pm »
I'm a long term and happy user of Nero 5, have tried out version 6 (audio and file burning only).  Version 6 gives you DVD burning capability "native" (you don't have to jump through hoops to use it), an improved front end which is much more vesatile and robust than the wizard it replaces and a nice set of tools.  It claims to be more stable.  Nero 5.5 was rock solid for me already.  Personally I don't use the old wizard or the new front end, but I see how the new front end is an improvement.  One thing I do like in the new front end, audio side, is you can check a box to eliminate gaps after tracks automatically-which is necessary on live albums, which I burn a ton of.  This is easier than the old system where you could not use the wizard, and you had to change the gap on each track (after track 1) from 2 to zero in the track properties manually.  

You can also use the new front end to make a compilation album fairly easily.  I don't think you could do this under the old wizard.  

Note that the new front end has the default checked for equalizing track volume, which I never do.  Be sure to uncheck that unless you want this equalization.

The new tools include a media identifier program, and a program to test your burner and report its various stats.

As far as burning mp3s, I don't do this so I don't know if there is an improvement.  If I was to rip mp3s I'd use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with the LAME encoder.  Both are freeware and are highly regarded.  There are dozens of freeware programs out there to rip, tag or organize mp3s.  I'm not sure what an add-on to NERO would accomplish as you burn mp3s as ordinary computer data files.

Would I buy the upgrade to NERO 6?  I don't have a DVD burner and was pretty happy with version 5.5, so probably no, I couldn't justify the expense.  But it is not a bad upgrade if you need it.  Nero is a great program, whichever version you have.

dogberry

Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2003, 06:44 pm »
Nero 5 has been perfect, AFAIC.  I don't think I'll be spending the money to upgrade.  It does everything I need it to, and extremely well.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:12 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I find my current version of Nero to be excellent, too.  The ability to remove gaps without going in to change the pause is cool.  The current Nero already defaults to "normalize volume", and I find that feature extremely useful for burning compilations for the car.  Sounds like some nice new features, but I don't know if that's worth $100.

I bought "Musicmatch Jukebox" yesterday and been fiddling with it now for awhile.  It's an MP3 encoder and of course jukebox; not as intuitive to me as Nero, but it does a great job of ripping stuff and burning to disc.

It does drive me nuts that every ripping/burning program I've ever seen pretty much won't let you arrange the songs in any manner except alphabetically.  Is there any way around this?

dogberry

Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:27 pm »
With Nero, you can just drag the files to where you want them to be.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:37 pm »
Even with MP3?  Nero rocks for making full quality stuff but I don't have the MP3 plugin (actually a key...).

Dragging and dropping dsn't seem to work with the playlist on Musicmatch, or am I not doing it right?

dogberry

Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:43 pm »
I burn MP3s (to audio CDs) all the time.  If they're not automatically sorted by file name (I follow "Artist Name - Album - track# - Title", then I just move them manually.  No problem.

I don't recall installing an MP3 plug-in.; I thought that was built-in.

bubba966

Nero 5 vs. Nero 6
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2003, 04:54 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
It does drive me nuts that every ripping/burning program I've ever seen pretty much won't let you arrange the songs in any manner except alphabetically. Is there any way around this?

I don't recall that being a problem with CDRWin when I last used it for an MP3 disc. Download the trial version and test it out for yourself...