"The artistry behind protecting and repairing photographs" PBS NewsHour

SET Man

Hey!

Good watch for everyone, even for those younger generation who never make photo print and of course especially for those who are into photography...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/the-artistry-behind-protecting-and-repairing-photographs

Wish I could be there to see the exhibit. And yes I still have a few shoe boxes full of old photographs that I need to scan and preserve :?

Buddy

WGH

Excellent article, thanks. I would think the old photos are already on archival material. Scanning them and storing the digital files on something certainly sounds very modern, but what do your descendants do in 50 years if they want to view the photos? Buy an old computer on eBay? Will the cloud as we know it still exist?

I'll admit to being biased toward physical things. As a woodworker I use old tools (my joiner was made in 1905) and expect all my custom doors to last 500 years, I regularly see some of the doors I have made 30-40 years ago and they are still in perfect condition.

SET Man

Excellent article, thanks. I would think the old photos are already on archival material. Scanning them and storing the digital files on something certainly sounds very modern, but what do your descendants do in 50 years if they want to view the photos? Buy an old computer on eBay? Will the cloud as we know it still exist?

I'll admit to being biased toward physical things. As a woodworker I use old tools (my joiner was made in 1905) and expect all my custom doors to last 500 years, I regularly see some of the doors I have made 30-40 years ago and they are still in perfect condition.

Hey!

Well, I forgot to add that I will make some prints from those scans also  :wink:

Yeah, I have been thinking about how digital photos will ended up in the future. I think there will be a lots of kids born today growing up to find out that their baby pictures are gone because their parents didn't make prints and HHD crashed or virus got to their computer.

As for cloud, I don't know, I don't trust that. Who control the data? If I stop paying my data is gone? Will the company be around 50 or even 20 years from now?

Actually I still use films mostly B&W since I develop B&W film myself and yes I do use color film also. When I go visit my family in Thailand I wold force my family to pose for pictures on film and sometime I do second one on digital for back up. But I like to use film whenever I can. So, I am too biased toward physical things also.

Buddy

WGH

During the last years of my Mom's life the best way to interact was to get out the box of her old photos, some dating back to before she was married. She still knew who everyone was in the photos.

In 50 years 99.9% of people will have super smart phones, even now hardly anyone has a need (or desire) for a laptop or desktop computer. So you give your kid, or grand kid a HDD or thumbdrive and tell them these are all the photos I took in 2020 and they will give you a blank stare because there are absolutely no jacks or plugs on their 2070 iPhone X5S.