Where is Estremo

marrduk24

Where is Estremo
« on: 24 Jun 2018, 03:19 pm »
Rick

Couldn’t find Estremo on the website. Also what’s the difference beteeen Finezza and Estremo?

Finally, love the finish of Epico. What finish is that?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Where is Estremo
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2018, 09:22 pm »
Rick

Couldn’t find Estremo on the website. Also what’s the difference beteeen Finezza and Estremo?

Finally, love the finish of Epico. What finish is that?

The Accuton midrange in the Estremo was updated to a new model, the C51 that's used in the Epico. I removed the Estremo from the lineup page at that point but neglected to move it to the gallery. I'll put that on my things-to-do list.

The Estremo could be updated with the C51; however, the 4" mid in the Ceramica would be a better choice. Adding the second woofer really changes up things and the 4" allows smoother integration of the crossover point with the woofers. The same holds true for the Finezza versus the Estremo.  The larger mid of the Finezza adds more dynamic capability but doesn't have as wide a dispersion in the area where it crosses to the tweeter. The 4" is a good alternative as a bridge between the two mids (2" and 6"). Makes sense?

marrduk24

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2018, 10:37 am »
Rick

Little confused.

Woofer

Estremo and Finezza both use dual 7” Illuminator vs 6.5” Sarori in Ceramica. Satori is a lot more value oriented woofer.

Mid
Estremo used 5” Accuton mid, Finezza uses 6” morel mid and Ceramica uses 4” Sarori

Tweeter:
Both Estremo and Ceramica use RAAL whereas Finezza uses Scanspeak Be.

Physical footprint of all 3 is relatively similar.

Ceramica obviously is less than half the price of Finezza and 40% cheaper than Estremo.

In this physical footprint, what’s your favorite driver combinations for a speaker in the $6k-$8k range? What if one was trying to beat Dynaudio Confidence C2  :inlove: :inlove:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2018, 03:49 am »
Rick

Little confused.

Woofer

Estremo and Finezza both use dual 7” Illuminator vs 6.5” Sarori in Ceramica. Satori is a lot more value oriented woofer.

Mid
Estremo used 5” Accuton mid, Finezza uses 6” morel mid and Ceramica uses 4” Sarori

Tweeter:
Both Estremo and Ceramica use RAAL whereas Finezza uses Scanspeak Be.

Physical footprint of all 3 is relatively similar.

Ceramica obviously is less than half the price of Finezza and 40% cheaper than Estremo.

In this physical footprint, what’s your favorite driver combinations for a speaker in the $6k-$8k range? What if one was trying to beat Dynaudio Confidence C2  :inlove: :inlove:

Actually the Estremo has the 2" Accuton dome midrange. The Ceramica woofer isn't part of the Satori line (though it certainly could have that name as it's a really good driver). What virtues do you like about the C2?

marrduk24

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2018, 08:48 pm »
Rick,

I will take a crack :)

1. This might be the combination of C2 and Bryston but it felt tad bit warm while still having a lot of punch (nothing muddled about it)

2. Vocals (Diana Krall, John Mayer etc) had a level of cleanliness to it
3. Guitar (gipsy kings, Jesse cook) sounded airy without being lean
4. Speakers filled a relatively large room (3000 cuft - 16’x20’,10’) even at modest volume and sitting on my sofa (10 ft away from speakers), I felt engulfed by the sound. Key was even at moderate volume.
5. It may be related to my first point above but I felt the combo was forgiving of average source (eg high quality Spotify streaming, which isn’t that high quality after all :))

Hope this makes some sense.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:36 pm »
Rick,

I will take a crack :)

1. This might be the combination of C2 and Bryston but it felt tad bit warm while still having a lot of punch (nothing muddled about it)

2. Vocals (Diana Krall, John Mayer etc) had a level of cleanliness to it
3. Guitar (gipsy kings, Jesse cook) sounded airy without being lean
4. Speakers filled a relatively large room (3000 cuft - 16’x20’,10’) even at modest volume and sitting on my sofa (10 ft away from speakers), I felt engulfed by the sound. Key was even at moderate volume.
5. It may be related to my first point above but I felt the combo was forgiving of average source (eg high quality Spotify streaming, which isn’t that high quality after all :))

Hope this makes some sense.

Overall the Finezza would be my choice.

marrduk24

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2018, 08:19 pm »
Thanks Rick.

I guess the reason I started this thread was because I was trying to understand why Estremo was discontinued. Is that because you feel Finezza is a better overall product to keep? Two key differences are:

1. Midrange: how does 6” Morel compare to 3 different options from Acuton: 2” dome, 5” non-cell and 5”cell

2. How does SS Be in Finezza compare to RAAL Ribbon

Sorry if you have already explained this.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2018, 01:59 am »
Thanks Rick.

I guess the reason I started this thread was because I was trying to understand why Estremo was discontinued. Is that because you feel Finezza is a better overall product to keep? Two key differences are:

1. Midrange: how does 6” Morel compare to 3 different options from Acuton: 2” dome, 5” non-cell and 5”cell

2. How does SS Be in Finezza compare to RAAL Ribbon

Sorry if you have already explained this.

It really depends upon the driver combination because the mids cover different ranges. The Morel can of course move the most air due to cone diameter and it also has a larger voice coil for power handling. The 2" dome has the best dispersion but covers a more narrow range. The standard 5" Accuton is discontinued and the cell version is taking its' place. The new version is good but I like the SB 4" ceramic as well (maybe even better) and it costs far less.

The C51 cell dome mid replaced the C50 that I used in the Estremo. The SB 4" is a better fit for the Estremo combination than the C51, so I decided to pull the Estremo from the main lineup.

I mainly use the RAAL 70-20XR and 70-10D ribbons. The beryllium tweeters have similar resolution and cost less. I used the 70-10D in the Ceramica in response to a customer request. The Scan Be is a great alternative and would be excellent in that design. I use the Scan tweeter with the Morel as it will cross lower than the 70-10D. The RAAL 70-20XR will cross low and works well with the Morel. Both ribbons have a little wider dispersion in the top octave but not as much lower frequency body. Cost-wise the Be dome is a better overall value than the 70-20XR.

marrduk24

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:23 am »
Rick

Now I get it. I promise one last question and then I go into hibernation :)

What would your fav mid-tweeter combination be if the speaker was anchored by two 7” illuminate woofers

1. Acuton dome and RAAL 70-20XR
2. SB 4” mid and RAAL 70-10
3. Morel 6” mid and SS Be tweeter

I am gusssing SB 4” mid is this. That’s a great value.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb15cac30-4-5-ceramic-woofer-4-ohms/

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2018, 03:35 pm »
Rick

Now I get it. I promise one last question and then I go into hibernation :)

What would your fav mid-tweeter combination be if the speaker was anchored by two 7” illuminate woofers

1. Acuton dome and RAAL 70-20XR
2. SB 4” mid and RAAL 70-10
3. Morel 6” mid and SS Be tweeter

I am gusssing SB 4” mid is this. That’s a great value.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb15cac30-4-5-ceramic-woofer-4-ohms/

That's the 5" version. Still a great driver though.

marrduk24

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2018, 07:54 pm »
Thanks Rick.

So I reckon you are a fan of SB acoustics + RAAL combo?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2018, 05:09 pm »
Thanks Rick.

So I reckon you are a fan of SB acoustics + RAAL combo?

#2 and #3 are both excellent choices. The 70-20XR doesn't make sense with the Accuton dome mid.

ricardojoa

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2018, 08:45 pm »
Depends on your budget, but when you go with rall 70-20 or the BE the budget would probably go up.
If you are going with a tower there is no reason why you want a acuton 2 inch.
The BE with the ceramic mid and sb woofer maybe your best budget for tower.