computer not starting

WGH

Re: computer not starting
« Reply #40 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:46 am »
It has window 7 pro.  No battery change.  Not sure why battery change is needed.   :scratch:

The little dime shaped battery is on the motherboard and keeps the BIOS chip energized so it doesn't forget hard drive and other settings when the computer is off or unplugged, pretty cool huh?

soundofrockets

« Reply #41 on: 6 Feb 2018, 06:18 am »
Just ordered the windows 7 pro.  Will wait for the product key to be edelivered.

soundofrockets

« Reply #42 on: 7 Feb 2018, 05:29 am »
ok guys - got the product key for windows 7 pro - now what ?

WGH

« Reply #43 on: 7 Feb 2018, 02:18 pm »
ok guys - got the product key for windows 7 pro - now what ?

Go back to page 2 and re-read my Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2018.
Skip the first part and do steps 5 & 6

randytsuch

« Reply #44 on: 7 Feb 2018, 03:28 pm »
Sublink from WGH's instructions
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-burn-an-iso-file-to-a-usb-drive-2619270

I've used Rufus before, and it works well.
The guy you ordered windows 7 from should have also provided a download link for the iso file.  You can use that to reload windows 7.

windows 10 you'll have to download from microsoft

soundofrockets

« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:23 am »
somehow i was able to install windows 7 pro.  i am trying to get the updates for the software or maybe even update to windows 10 pro - however i don't get internet to work. I tried different ethernet cables but i get the same message - network adapter not working - requires driver updates !!

how should i proceed ?

srb

« Reply #46 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:36 am »
how should i proceed ?

Get on another computer, go to the HP website Support area and download the latest Windows 7 network adapter driver for that model computer to a USB stick, then update the driver on the HP with it.

Steve

soundofrockets

« Reply #47 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:42 am »
does the usb stick need to new or can i use a stick with some other data on it ?  the smallest i have is 32gb right now - maybe i can download, update driver and then delete the data

srb

« Reply #48 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:46 am »
does the usb stick need to new or can i use a stick with some other data on it ?  the smallest i have is 32gb right now - maybe i can download, update driver and then delete the data

No, you're not making a bootable USB for the driver, you just need enough room on the USB stick to download the file - it won't be a huge download, certainly < than 100MB.

Steve

soundofrockets

« Reply #49 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:51 am »
ok.  let me go to the HP website and see what i can find.  thanks

soundofrockets

« Reply #50 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:01 am »
the HP web site shows 8 different network drivers - which should i download - or just get all of them ?

srb

« Reply #51 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:06 am »
You need to install the correct one.  Are there 8 different possible network adapter drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit, whichever OS you have?

Check Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters and see if the adapter has been recognized, rather than showing up under the Unknown Devices heading.  That might point you to the correct one.

soundofrockets

« Reply #52 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:12 am »
under device manager i don't see any network adapters - rather i see "other devices" and under that there are 4 options each with a yellow inverted triangle - ethernet controller, pci serial port, pci simple communication and sm bus controller.

not sure what this means?

srb

« Reply #53 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:21 am »
You have 4 devices that Windows could not find a suitable driver for, nor could it identify them by brand and model.  Obviously, the network adapter is the most important - once you have a working Internet connection Windows may be able to then find suitable drivers for the other 3 unidentified devices.

Is there an option on the HP Support site to enter an HP computer serial # which might further help to identify which network adapter you have?  If not, you can download them all and try to install the driver one at a time until you get the correct driver software.

Just make sure you are downloading Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit drivers depending on which OS you have.

soundofrockets

« Reply #54 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:22 am »
i was able to google the hardware specs on the machine and discovered that under network interface it list Intel Pro 1000 gigabit

HP driver support also has the same name as one of the 8 options - so i am presuming that this is one to get  :scratch:

advice ?

srb

« Reply #55 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:26 am »
Do it!

soundofrockets

« Reply #56 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:30 am »
downloaded the said drivers and now installing on the machine.  fingers crossed !!

lets hope for the best!!

soundofrockets

« Reply #57 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:33 am »
it worked.  i am online.  updating windows OS !!

Hurray.

thanks a million for your help!!

srb

« Reply #58 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:36 am »
Excellent!  Let me know if further updates find drivers for the other devices.  :thumb:

soundofrockets

« Reply #59 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:39 am »
machine is downloading and installing 12 critical updates.  once completed and computer restarted i will recheck the status of those 4 devices.

does the OS come with some basic built in antivirus protection ?