computer not starting

davidldl

Re: computer not starting
« Reply #20 on: 5 Feb 2018, 12:34 am »
Go into the bios.   See if it is in ahci or raid mode.   Try the other one that it isn't set at.

If the pc hasn't been on for a long time it probably lost the bios settings from bad battery.
I see this a lot in laptops.

David

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 5 Feb 2018, 12:59 am »
Good idea David, as it stay 2 years stored maybe the BIOS battery has died. Would be nice before further software installation change the battery and try power on the PC again. Usually is a cheap CR2032 coin battery.

soundofrockets

« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2018, 07:47 am »
i tried both the steps recommended by WGH - but no luck.

somehow the computer is still trying to restore and when i check continue i keep getting error 1.

i must have accidentally interrupted the restore process by powering off the computer  :duh: :duh:

I see there the computer case has product sticker with the 25 digit product key.

Is it possible to just clean the software from the hard drive and then do a fresh install of Windows Pro 7 and maybe let upgrade to windows Pro 10 ?

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2018, 05:58 pm »
Computers these days usually don't come with a Windows installation disk because you can download the iso and make your own. Yea, if your computers gone bonkers then you have to use a another computer to do this.

As I mentioned previously - download the Windows 10 Pro file and burn it to a DVD or make a bootable thumb drive. This should be the first thing you do. Do this on your working computer, but you knew that, right?
Create installation media for Windows. Click on the Windows 10 link and then the "Download Tool Now" button to download the iso file.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

You don't need to install Windows 7 first because you have the 25-character product key. Why not? Because you are going to do a clean install and the Windows 10 install will wipe everything off the disk anyway. Previously, Microsoft forced users to upgrade to Windows 10 before they could start fresh and do a clean install–which was annoyingly complicated and time-consuming. Now, things are much easier, since you can activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 key.

Next, you will have to burn the iso image to make a boot disk. Every computer seems to handle this differently, you can Google "burn iso" and include the operating system you are using or download a free iso app like Free ISO Burner http://www.freeisoburner.com/ , install and follow the directions to burn a boot disk. (are we having fun yet?)

Part 3 - make sure the broken computer has a internet connection

Part 4 - turn on the broken computer. Don't think, just turn it on. Is it on now? That's a good boy. Open the CD drive and insert the boot disk you just made. Close drawer. Turn off computer.

Part 5 - Turn on Computer and boot from the disk drive or flash drive.
            How To Boot From a CD, DVD, or BD Disc
             https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-boot-from-a-cd-dvd-or-bd-disc-2626090

Part 6 - Enjoy the Windows 10 installation journey, it will take a while because the installation program will connect with the Microsoft Mothership to download updated files and drivers for your computer.
             Here is your journey with pictures:
            How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10
            https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Doublej

« Reply #24 on: 5 Feb 2018, 06:04 pm »
I thought Microsoft's free Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade program was long over?

randytsuch

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2018, 06:31 pm »
I thought Microsoft's free Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade program was long over?

This program just ended on dec 31st. 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Depending on what the pc is for, I might just reinstall win7 on it, and call it a day.

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 5 Feb 2018, 06:55 pm »

You are right, that's a surprise. I guess I'm 36 days behind on my reading. Good thing the Windows 7 iso is still available at the above link.
Nothing wrong with Windows 7, I liked it

soundofrockets

« Reply #27 on: 5 Feb 2018, 06:58 pm »
I did try to download windows 7 pro 64 bit - the site asked for the 25 digit key code - which I punched in - I got the message that this product key is for preinstalled version only and to contact the seller for software recovery - I contacted Tiger Direct - and they have no records before Jan 2016 !! 

WGH

« Reply #28 on: 5 Feb 2018, 07:11 pm »
You now have 3 options:

1.) Try Windows 10 upgrade anyway, as of Jan. 23, 2018 it still worked:
How To Get Windows 10 For 'Free' In 2018
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2018/01/26/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free-in-2018/#e75915351452

2.) Buy a copy of Windows 7 or 10

3.) Give the computer flying lessons

randytsuch

« Reply #29 on: 5 Feb 2018, 07:36 pm »
If that forbes article is correct, you can buy a cheap windows 7 license

https://www.dealscube.com/listing/microsoft-windows-7-professional-32-64bits-for-1-pc/20345?gclid=CjwKEAjwps2_BRC5jduHor-h8xESJADGT-Ltjy5vgcdO6ch1TvybflH1Fv33OU7rn3P7n2owtEoywRoCvCbw_wcB

And then upgrade it to win 10.  To upgrade, you would need the windows 10 iso, and put it on a bootable usb stick.

I bought a couple windows 7 licenses from the above link with no problem.
You don't get any physical media.  So even for windows 7, you need to download the iso, and make a bootable stick.

It's pretty easy to make a stick with the microsoft utility, but I think I used a different utility the last time I made a stick.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #30 on: 5 Feb 2018, 09:14 pm »
Allow me to step in with a semi-hijack.  I have a friend who tried to set up a NUC with Roon Core.  He has NO computer knowledge and failed.  He has asked me to install Windows 10 and JRiver (no insult to Roon here - it is simply that I have used JRiver for 10 years and can help him keep it running).  When I turn on the NUC I get what looks like a DOS message saying that it's OS is "RoonOS 1.0 (build150) stable".  How do I get Windows 10 onto this thing?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 5 Feb 2018, 09:47 pm »
"RoonOS 1.0 (build150) stable". 
Seems a informative msg not a error msg.

srb

« Reply #32 on: 5 Feb 2018, 10:05 pm »
"RoonOS 1.0 (build150) stable". 
Seems a informative msg not a error msg.

glynnw never said it was an error message.

When you boot from the Windows 10 media (DVD disk or USB drive with disk image) it will detect an existing OS and should ask if you want to install in the existing partition and format the partition and overwrite the existing OS.

If either of those bootable media don't boot and it still boots directly into Roon OS you will have to enter the BIOS and enable DVD or USB as first boot device.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #33 on: 5 Feb 2018, 10:14 pm »
Thanks - I figured I would need a disc.  Lucky for me I just realized one of my retired friends was a Linux database mgr.  I'll be calling him soon.  Thanks again.

soundofrockets

« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:43 am »
Hey Randy ,
Great link.  Is there a reason why I cannot order windows 10 pro from the same website for the same price?

Why go through the hassle of getting windows 7 pro and then upgrade to 10 pro.  Am I missing something here?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:03 am »
The update from W7 to 10 is free.

soundofrockets

« Reply #36 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:25 am »
I get that.  But the price for window 7 pro and windows 10 pro is also the same. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:34 am »
Have you already determined which OS your PC has?
Already change the battery?

soundofrockets

« Reply #38 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:36 am »
It has window 7 pro.  No battery change.  Not sure why battery change is needed.   :scratch:

WGH

« Reply #39 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:41 am »
Why go through the hassle of getting windows 7 pro and then upgrade to 10 pro.  Am I missing something here?

My thinking is that since you have to download the Windows 10 iso to make a boot disk anyway, see if it works with your product key.
As you found out while trying to download Windows 7, your key is a factory and not a retail key so it may not work. But no harm in trying.

Paul Thurrott writes:
"Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate product keys can activate Windows 10 Pro. It has to be a retail key, not a key that came with a computer. And it has to be unused, though there is some anecdotal evidence that even used keys will work in some cases. (And you could always call Microsoft support, explain the situation, and try for a phone activation.)"

If it doesn't work then install the retail Windows 7 and either live with it or try going for the Windows 10 update.