Bought my first server!

rif

• Not a cowboy
Bought my first server!
« on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:59 pm »
I'm very excited, but  none of my friends (all non-techie) understand.  So I'd thought I'd put it here in case someone else can benefit from the deal I found.

I have no affiliation with Dell.

It's a Dell T30 (tower), very low end as servers go
Xeon x1225 processor at 3.3ghz
8G ddr4 ram at
1T hard drive (sata not sas), with bays for 4 3.5inch drives with toolless connection
Very well thought out layout and chassis
Very robust uefi/bios

What's missing compared to a desktop (and these didn't matter to me)
Built in Bluetooth, WiFi
No OS
Not a standard mobo size or connections.

But it does have HDMI so I can set it up easily

All that is ok for my needs (home server in my garage)

$300 including shipping, use coupon 299T30 at checkout.

I couldn't buy a desktop that cheap.  Not sure I could even build one for that price.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Bought my first server!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2018, 05:49 pm »
8G ddr4 ram memory seems little if you will use three monitors w/HDMI movies, do you will espand? Also W10 is know for run slow when use 2 monitors +HDMI.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2018, 05:57 pm »
The 8gig is system ram, not video ram.

Don't plan on using any monitors.  It will be there primarily to run my WiFi network and security cameras (ubiquiti/ unifi).

Not sure if you're kidding about the monitors.  Seems like you'd want a really good video card to do that.  I'm using the video that's built into the cpu.

I was going to up the ram, but it's very expensive right now - a little over $100 for an 8gig stick.

I'm also using Ubuntu,  not windows.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2018, 06:08 pm »
On the HDMI slower the SO I see complains when rendering videos so far.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2018, 06:55 pm »
$300 including shipping, use coupon 299T30 at checkout.
Entering that coupon code returns "This coupon code is invalid"

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2018, 07:44 pm »
Entering that coupon code returns "This coupon code is invalid"
Seems these codes can be used only once.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2018, 08:02 pm »
Its probably no longer valid, sorry i didnt think of that.  But something odd is going on with their coupons - their own advertised "SERVER40" doesn't seem to work either.  In any case it gives the buyer some leverage when talking with Dell trying to get the price down.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2018, 02:32 pm »
What will you be using it for? (I mean, music server, files, ?)

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2018, 12:20 am »
What will you be using it for? (I mean, music server, files, ?)

Sorry for the delay.  It will be for managing my home network, surveillance cameras, and music server, and some document storage.

They are having a sale in the t130 line, which is a step above mine supposedly.  You can get a lower configured t130 for $200 shipped.  That's insane for any modern computer.  I am including a screenshot on case you doubt me  :o  to get the extra savings, server250 must be lowercase.

The $200 machine is very low end. Pentium processor, 4gig ram, 500g hard drive... The $400 machine has a more reasonable configuration.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2018, 10:33 pm »
In case anyone is interested, they have the deal on the T30 back.  Not too shabby for $300 shipped.  (Ignore the one on the left, the one on the right is what you want).

Long story but I ended up accidentally buying 3x8Gb memory for a total of 32Gb.  Anyone interested in taking 16Gb off my hands?

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2018, 03:25 pm »
In case anyone is interested, they have the deal on the T30 back.  Not too shabby for $300 shipped.  (Ignore the one on the left, the one on the right is what you want).

Long story but I ended up accidentally buying 3x8Gb memory for a total of 32Gb.  Anyone interested in taking 16Gb off my hands?

The $300 deal is back and I still have 16gig of ram for sale...