Here's a stupid question

JoshK

Here's a stupid question
« on: 5 Mar 2003, 03:13 pm »
One thing that has held me back in the past from jumping into the HTPC arena was in mere useability.  Don't you have to boot up your PC everytime you want to watch a movie?  Do you have to plug in a keyboard and mouse just to navigate the programs to watch a movie? Or are there simple ways to set it up so that you can pop in a movie and "hit play"?

hairofthedawg

Here's a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2003, 05:18 pm »
If you get a quiet one, just leave it on.  Mine came with I think it's called an airboard, an IR keyboard with a joystick mouse built in.  A little awkward to use but it works.  Just pop a movie in and the software starts playing.  I'm not sure how the keyboard needs to be integrated with the playback/control software, if it does at all, but the controls work on mine.  There's a lot more info on remotes over on AVS forum.

cheers,

Dick

bob82274

Here's a stupid question
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2003, 05:24 pm »
I have had this same problem.  My thoughts were this: Since mine is going to be a pure HTPC and not be used for anything else I don't have to do many actions.  I would keep a mouse and keyboard near by but I would buy one of the IR keyboards too.  I would then program the esential functions into a learning remote.  I don't know how well this would work but it might be worth a shot.  I might need something like a Pronto though to get it to work.  All that would be needed is some planing so that its easy to get at your movies and music.

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
Here's a stupid question
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2003, 04:15 am »
There are easy tools to assist in this...

If you get an IR input device like an IRMan and Girder almost any PC based task can be automated and macro'ized with this solution and an IR input signal...

Netremote is even snazzier... Use a color PDA over 802.11 to control girder instead of the IR.. 802.11 is bi directional so you can browse media libraries and cover art / playlists in the palm of your hand and it will import pronto ccf's so you can steal the pronto graphics and use this as girder control commands... No line of sight issues.. more reliable connections.. Bi directional... Full color super pronto !!!

Also look at MainLobby for controlling the HTPC via a touchpad computer...

EchiDna

Here's a stupid question
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2003, 04:19 am »
welcome Phat Phreddy... you have been missed since the jump to audiocircle from HD ;-)

things on audio tend to get lost VERY fast on AVS, hence this little circle