Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Aug. 2nd - Do your backups tonight

WGH

A quick heads up, the big Windows 10 Anniversary Update starts Tuesday, Aug. 2nd. Win10 users can't avoid it, it's happening if you want it or not.
As with any big OS update, everything will probably be fine but if you use your computer for business like I do then a current image backup is a must just in case something goes wrong.

Here is a good article explaining the changes:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/windows-10-one-year-later-the-anniversary-update/

Wayne

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
The W10 seems made oriented to teenaggers as there is a lot of social nets bottons in the task bar menu, however about the system itself there is only 1 entry-Settings.

WGH

Right clicking the Start button "window pane" reveals more options.

Doublej

Classic Microsoft. Three machines, one downloads a massive Windows 10 update that take an hour to install. The other two machines - your device is up to date.

...but the last update on the latter two machine was in July  :scratch: WTF?

WGH

Patience Grasshopper, not all Win 10 machines in the whole world are updated in one day.

Doublej

Patience Grasshopper, not all Win 10 machines in the whole world are updated in one day.

How does Microsoft decide who gets the update at what time? I thought on patch Tuesday everyone could get the updates...

WGH

How does Microsoft decide who gets the update at what time? I thought on patch Tuesday everyone could get the updates...

:dunno:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
There is a line wait likely.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
My W10 was too slow yesterday, today is fast again.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Right clicking the Start button "window pane" reveals more options.
Great solution, thanks for inform.

bacobits1

I did DL the update got it from MS site used the Win 10 upgrade tool. >>

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

About 2 hours start to finish. I'm on 100mb/DL too so it takes a bit a time.

Useful article here>> Most disable this BS
http://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

I used the "Download Our One-Click Registry Hack" down the page a bit.
All worked fine. So far...........

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Made the update last night. 39 minutes start to finish, three reboots in between. Had to turn off a bunch of stuff MS turned back on, especially in "Background Apps". Other than that, seems pretty flawless (for Win 10).

WGH

The Windows blog has the latest news about the Anniversary update:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/#rkxiOfj5Rq3Q16OH.99

"The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is being rolled out to Windows 10 PCs across the world in phases starting with the newer machines first. You don’t have to do anything to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, it will roll out automatically to you through Windows Update if you’ve chosen to have updates installed automatically on your device. However, if you don’t want to wait for the update to roll out to you, you can manually get the update yourself on your personal PC."

There are a couple of documented glitches so far:

Custom ink settings are lost in upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1607
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3183430?sd=rss&spid=18165&NL=WIN-01&Issue=WIN-01_20160804_WIN-01_767&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2_1

Garmin USB devices don't work with Windows 10 Anniversary Update
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3183365?sd=rss&spid=18165&NL=WIN-01&Issue=WIN-01_20160804_WIN-01_767&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2_2

bacobits1

Doublej

It took me 90+ minutes to upgrade an old machine. I have not found anything useful from the upgrade yet.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
May the Lord have pity on my laptop, I'm upgrading right this very second.

WGH

Upgrade was successful, took 35 minutes to download and another 35 to install with re-boots. It's a big one, my music server with the Atom chip is going to take forever.

As usual with Microsoft, the security settings will be reset to the Win10 defaults so pick the "Customize" option when asked.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
... As usual with Microsoft, the security settings will be reset to the Win10 defaults so pick the "Customize" option when asked.

Oddly, I never saw that 'Get Going Fast' window.. I had no chance or choice to customize during or at the conclusion of the update. :scratch:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
...May I say "Edge" still sucks too!!

Yes, it does. I still can't make any of the buttons here on AC work while in Edge; I have to use IE 11 for that functionality.

Don_S

It would seem to me that it would have been better for many users if Microsoft had incorporated the updates into the new installs that many people did just before the free upgrade period ended. Those users would be done now.

I just installed a new computer and took it from W7-Pro to W10-Pro and updated an older computer from W7 to W10. I am still trying to get them squared away.  I am not in the mood to do updates.  :cuss: