Music recording on the PC

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 27 Feb 2003, 08:37 pm »
Well, due to time constraints I've been using the standalone CD recorder in my main music system less and the PC burner more, lately.  But it's been a bit frustrating.  For one thing, despite using "CD Audio" blanks (as opposed to computer data ones) and burning at low speeds, only about half of my discs will play in my CD player (a reasonable current Phillips model that will play CD-Rs and CD-R/Ws burned in my Phillips recorder).  All the DVD players in the house will play them fine, tho.  And I guess my CD deck does have a lot of mile on it.  I've been looking to get a new one anyway.

Worse yet, my somewhat out of date version of Nero is fairly buggy; it often shuts down my computer and seems to be happiest only when recording after a cold boot.  Would getting the newest version of Nero help any?  I use a 466 mhz Celeron, hardly a powerhouse I know, but it should be sufficient for the task.  All of my efforts thus far involve 16 bit PCM, and I haven't delved into any MP3 stuff.

I've lately become intrigued by the idea of getting a DVD burner to record music at full CD resolution.  I'm assuming this can be done.  The resulting disc would have MP3-like playing time, maybe 5-6 hours of music, but at full resolution.  Assuming you're DVD deck was hooked up to a good DAC, this should provide great sound and be pretty convenient.

BTW, has anyone used those new "Vinyl/CD-R" discs from Imation?  They're really cool looking-the top is made to look like an LP, right down to the texture of little grooves on top!  I bought a pack for the novelty, but they seem to work very reliably.

randog

« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2003, 09:37 pm »
You don't mention what your source is (what are you copying? other cd's, mp3's, etc), but here's another discussion where I talk about my PC burner and Nero and how I managed a recent upgrade. Yamaha has this feature called Audio Master QR (Quality Recording) that I'm trying out at the moment.

Good luck!
Randog

Oops! Forgot the link.  :?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1342

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2003, 11:54 pm »
Thanks, Randog.  Yeah, I'm talking just copying my CDs to CD-R.  I want to dupe my entire collection (700+ discs) to put upstairs so I don't have to run back and forth with discs.

I don't know about sounding better than the originals, but I can attest that the CD-ROM drive in the PC will track thru errors that cause my Phillips CD player to hang up and stop.  I definately will be getting a new player before long; mine is getting old, and while it will play a CD-R/CD-RW, it doesn't recognize DTS or MP3.