Windows 10 is coming for you!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Windows 10 is coming for you!
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2016, 09:36 pm »
Great instructions but it was set up to Automatic.
I restarted the computer and MS Edge went back to working.
Who knows, I sure don't.

mav52

« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:52 pm »
I' m still hanging on to Windows 7 -64 since all of our photoshop and other photo minipulation programs are resident and I don't want to pay out more bucks for a compatible update for Windows 10 when everything is working just fine.   I really don't use anything but JRiver when I use it for audio.   I think Microsoft was rather forceful with slipping all of those windows 10 pre patch and update offerings into the machine along with those "update now" before it's too late things.  I turned off all updates and just let the machine ride along.  Don't fix what's not broke.

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 7 Feb 2016, 12:23 am »
IMO Windows 8 and 10 are a drop better sounding than 7. Over the last few days I did the main and back-up music servers to 10. It meant re-installing JRiver (and I neglected to take down my old JRiver setting so that took a few minutes on each) but have not so far run into any issues. Still have to look at Windows 10 security settings. Not sure if I'll upgrade the Windows 7 Pro PC as there are a lot more programs on it and by the time they stop supporting that version, I'll be overdue for a new PC.

andy_c

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2016, 09:57 pm »
I found a Microsoft article with instructions on how to prevent the upgrade and disable the upgrade nag.  At first, I was going to use the Group Policy Editor technique, but their instructions made no sense to me.  I ended up doing the registry hacks.  Don't do this unless you feel comfortable editing the registry!  And always back up the registry before changing it. See the MS article for more details.

Here are the two subkeys you need to create:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
DWORD value: DisableGwx = 1

andy_c

« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2016, 12:43 pm »
I just recently found out about a couple of simple, free apps for preventing Windows 10 installation.  Just disabling the update doesn't work, as MS re-enables it after a couple of weeks.  The registry edit of my previous post does work, but if you don't like messing with the registry, here is a link to a review of two freeware apps that do the job.
« Last Edit: 3 May 2016, 02:10 pm by andy_c »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2016, 12:51 pm »
I just recently found out about a couple of simple, free apps for preventing Windows 10 installation.  Just disabling the update doesn't work, as MS re-enables it after a couple of weeks.  The registry edit of my previous post does work, but if you don't like messing with the registry, here is a link to a review of two freeware apps that do the job.
Link isn't working..

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #27 on: 3 May 2016, 01:19 pm »
Muchas Gracias :thumb:

andy_c

« Reply #28 on: 3 May 2016, 02:10 pm »
Link isn't working..

Sorry!  Fixed it.  And thank you adminRH.

Don_S

« Reply #29 on: 3 May 2016, 03:10 pm »
Thoroughly confused.  :o  At least I think I am.  :lol:

I have W7 vintage 2012.  Are you trying to tell me that Microsoft will automatically update my computer to W10 at some date in the future?  What date?

Having purchased a W7 computer before they went extinct to avoid W8 and future nonsense, I feel violated and PO'd. 

Is this what I need to do to protect my computer?  Go to this link and download the top left app? 

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

And then I have to do an additional step(s) because of my computers date?

Thanks for any help.  P.S. keep it simple because I am stupid.

mcgsxr

« Reply #30 on: 3 May 2016, 03:25 pm »
Both my netbook and main home PC were automatically updated in the past couple of weeks.   This was after diligently saying no to the upgrade when it asked me.

I was away traveling for work, and came home to it.

I have been able to sort through it and get them both running OK.  Not loving the new interface, but thankfully was able to get my music netbook running LMS effectively again.  Required a new version of the Logitech software, but was manageable.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #31 on: 3 May 2016, 03:33 pm »

The windows 10 thing on my task bar says it's a free upgrade now.
 If I don't upgrade it looks like if I want it sometime in the future I have to buy it.
 I don't want it and not going to buy it. So then what happens? Will Microsoft shut my PC down?

Cheers
                                              Charlie

andy_c

« Reply #32 on: 3 May 2016, 03:36 pm »

Is this what I need to do to protect my computer?  Go to this link and download the top left app? 

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Yes.  Download and run the "Never 10" application.  It will configure Windows 7 to prevent it from automatically updating your system to Windows 10.

Don_S

« Reply #33 on: 3 May 2016, 04:07 pm »
Yes.  Download and run the "Never 10" application.  It will configure Windows 7 to prevent it from automatically updating your system to Windows 10.

Thank you Andy.

I am surprised I am only hearing about this "conspiracy" on Audio Circle.  I would expect it to be more widely discussed.  :scratch:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #34 on: 3 May 2016, 07:13 pm »
Thank you Andy.

I am surprised I am only hearing about this "conspiracy" on Audio Circle.  I would expect it to be more widely discussed.  :scratch:
What conspiracy?

And this has been discussed all over the internet, for months.

the only thing that happens without your consent is a download of some files to make the install slightly faster if you decide to upgrade.
If you do not NOTHING will happen.
Nothing bad, nothing nefarious.

Don_S

« Reply #35 on: 3 May 2016, 07:43 pm »
JRace,

This thread is the first I heard about this.  I obviously hang in different places than you do.

The gist of this thread from others is that action must be taken to prevent an unwanted download of W10. And why develop software to prevent something so innocuous as files to speed up installation when the user decides to do it?

But I like what you say.  Doing nothing works for me.  I am good at that.  :thumb: :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 3 May 2016, 08:00 pm »
The other method is to uninstall and hide update KB3035583.  That will stop it from trying to install Windows 10 upgrade.  You can then clean up the install files if they were preloaded.

Did that to my old Windows XP laptop that I upgraded to Windows 7 and works fine.  No longer trying to do the Windows 10 update.  Every other machine is running Windows 10.

bacobits1

« Reply #37 on: 3 May 2016, 08:06 pm »
Recommended from Windows Secrets Site run this "GWX Control Panel" and all will will stop updating to Win 10. I used it on 2 machines and works fine.

The top file at below link.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

*Scotty*

« Reply #38 on: 3 May 2016, 09:29 pm »
You do have to watch Windows Update. Don't run it on automatic, I have caught it trying to download KB3035583 and have had to hide it twice. Weird behavior.
Scotty

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #39 on: 3 May 2016, 09:36 pm »
What I have received just now? resolve issues:
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)
Download size: 735 KB - 837 KB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Recommended
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3035583
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com