Internet, phone, and TV on one service.

werd

Internet, phone, and TV on one service.
« on: 11 Dec 2015, 05:23 am »
I have a question and looking for any responses since my knowledge is only novice at best with networking. Does any one here run their internet with one provider and use their TV, telephone service (maybe security) on a different service provider?

I have every thing on one provider (Shaw). The problem that exists with this is every service splits off using a splitter to feed the service. I recently did an experiment and dropped all my services (TV and phone) and ran only coax right from outside feed into my modem then onto the router. Did I ever lose a lot of latency that was dragging down my gaming.  The signal was strong and robust. I do not see anyway aound it unless i can get Shaw to run seperate lines for TV and phone to avoid these splitters. It might be easier and cheaper to use Sasktel for tv and phones and Shaw for Internet. Where do i go with this? Any other solutions that are there? The problem lies with the hardward provided by Shaw and these splitters.

All comments are appreciated. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Internet, phone, and TV on one service.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2015, 10:48 am »
I use a 3 in 1 service like this you mention with cable modem, not Wi-Fi which is carcinogenic.
My modem is motorola a very reliable model.
The Coax cable is for TV(that i dont use) and phone.
PC use a RJ45. Modem is free lending.
So there is just 1 spliter. The service is reliable and slow, price are low.
Out side this combo prices are expensive. Splitters are OK to me.

tvyankee

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:18 pm »
Hello.

From your testing you may be right as far as splitters and csble. The other thing maybe the tap that u are getting may not have the right frequency  levels. The cabke system rums on 3 different frequency and if each one is not in spec you could start to see some problems.

I know in nyc with twc if you start having bad problems they come out now an certifie your line with a meter.

They may have that with ur cable provider and and you can do each line in the house including ur inbound main service.

Let's us know how you do.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2015, 02:39 pm »
I would check to see if the signal strength is adequate when the signal is split. If it's too low you can replace the splitter with an amplifier and you should see an improvement.

Nalor

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2015, 05:14 am »
If you are really looking to make a change up in your home, look into Voice over IP (VoIP). Then your internet and phone are the same connection, and can often be found for cheaper than the packages. (There is often less fee's on VoIP.)