Adobe Reader DC -- And companies that won't be here 10 years from now

ctviggen

I "upgraded" Adobe Reader DC.  I highly, highly, highly recommend NOT doing this.  This morning, I uninstalled this program and rolled back to an earlier program.  "DC" stands for "direct cloud" or something like that, and every trick is used to get you to use Adobe's "cloud".  When you open a file, 30% of the screen on the right-hand side is dedicated to the "cloud".  You CANNOT prevent this side-screen from opening, except on a per-file basis.  (You can use control-h to get it to close, but who wants to do that?)  Also, when you go to save a PDF, the initial save screen is to Adobe's cloud.  You have to hunt and go through multiple screens to save the file on your computer.  I highly recommend staying away from Reader DC. 

Why would they do this?  The only thing I can think of is that they're no longer a viable company and need another money stream.  Hence, the "cloud".  (My Asus computer had something similar -- store info on the Asus cloud!  I uninstalled that right away.)   My prediction:  Adobe will not be a viable company 10 years from now.  Flash is getting replaced and soon PDFs will too.

Other companies that might not be viable 10 years from now, in my opinion?  Microsoft.  Windows 8 was horrible.  So horrible I had to upgrade to Windows 10.  Another point:  Microsoft buys Nokia because no one is buying windows phones. They had to buy a manufacturer of phones. Then, they basically take a write off for Nokia.  Why?  Microsoft thinks they need only software and the "cloud".  But someone needs to make windows phones, and the windows phone ecosystem is barren of apps (ask me, I have a great phone -- Nokia 1020 -- and even like the operating system, but there are no apps).  Another case in point, if you use Windows 10, when you go to shut off your computer, there's a "metro" like interface that pops up.  The idea is that you'd use apps in that interface that run on your phone, table, computer.  But I've never used that interface and no one I know who has Windows 10 has used that interface.  And I can't think of an app I want to run on my phone and computer.  So, Microsoft thinks they're going to become an app seller, but I can't see how Windows 10 helps them.  To me, I don't think we'll see Microsoft around in 10 years, at least not in its current form.

Another company that might not be around in 10 years:  IBM.  They keep selling off their hardware businesses and are trying to be an "online", cloud, and services company.  But they're abysmally behind in the cloud, and without hardware, what do they have?  It's unclear.

Phil A

Thanks for the heads up.  They do stuff that annoys me with Air upgrades too.  I have to uncheck all the changes they have pre-programmed in (and I believe they keep changing those a bit to be sneaky about it).  The only product I have of theirs that I really like and use is writer.  It comes in handy to scan and store documents.  I'm sure someone will buy them down the road.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
What is the difference between Flash and Reader?

Don_S

I hate when software becomes a "rude guest".  Yesterday I was prompted to update RealPlayer. I unchecked the box changing my default search engine to "Ask.com" and proceeded with the update.

Even with the box unchecked it changed my home page to Ask.com and changed "new tabs" to always open a new Ask.com. window.  It had previously been set to give a menu (thumbnails) of recently or frequently visited websites.  I use Windows 7.

I promptly uninstalled both Ask.com and RealPlayer and reset my homepage and internet options for new tabs.  There is only one way to deal with rude guests---boot them to the curb.  :wave:

Phil A

I hate when software becomes a "rude guest".  Yesterday I was prompted to update RealPlayer. I unchecked the box changing my default search engine to "Ask.com" and proceeded with the update.

Even with the box unchecked it changed my home page to Ask.com and changed "new tabs" to always open a new Ask.com. window.  It had previously been set to give a menu (thumbnails) of recently or frequently visited websites.  I use Windows 7.

I promptly uninstalled both Ask.com and RealPlayer and reset my homepage and internet options for new tabs.  There is only one way to deal with rude guests---boot them to the curb.  :wave:

Yep - has happened to me a bunch of times and then I uninstall and then go to Google setting to re-set my home page.  I check my installed programs from time to time and if notice something installed I don't use or don't want, I uninstall it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Thanks Phil.
My PC was updated to Reader DC many months ago.
Not possible revert this DC instalation.
Any suggestion?

bacobits1

Yea I have about had it with Adobe except for their PS Elements 13 which I just reloaded on a new Machine. DL fine to install but to copy for backup got errors.  Tried to load an Acrobat 9 pro on Win 10 didn't go well. Stalled etc. Used Revo Uninstaller after the removal installer quit used Revo and it removed 10k items!!!! Took 5 minutes, 10K?
Acrobat is so bloated complicated no need to use it here we went to Corel PDF Fusion nice simple small and reasonable priced.

All this Cloud integration is terrible and just BS that got a lot of people pissed at these companies.
It's used all over and look at MS now. There is very little Physical Software anymore.

srb

My PC was updated to Reader DC many months ago.
Any suggestion?

There is an Adobe Reader 11.0 MUI (Multilingual Installer) for Windows available for download at
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows

There are also updates 11.0.01 through 11.0.13 available.

I would uninstall Acrobat Reader DC, reboot then install version 11.0.  I don't remember if there is an option in Edit > Preferences to disable automatic update (to prevent automatically updating back to Reader DC), but you might also want to go into Task Scheduler and disable the Adobe Acrobat Update Task.

Keep in mind any new security holes exploited after the last 11.0.13 update on 10/13/2015 will have no updates to patch them unless Adobe releases further 11 updates, but that seems doubtful.

I haven't done this myself as I'm able to use DC without too much annoyance or problems and use Open Office Writer to create PDFs, so proceed at your own risk.

Steve

Phil A

Any suggestion?
Uninstall and see the post by srb

Phil A

There is an Adobe Reader 11.0 MUI (Multilingual Installer) for Windows available for download at
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows

There are also updates 11.0.01 through 11.0.13 available.

I would uninstall Acrobat Reader DC, reboot then install version 11.0.  I don't remember if there is an option in Edit > Preferences to disable automatic update (to prevent automatically updating back to Reader DC), but you might also want to go into Task Scheduler and disable the Adobe Acrobat Update Task.

Keep in mind any new security holes exploited after the last 11.0.13 update on 10/13/2015 will have no updates to patch them unless Adobe releases further 11 updates, but that seems doubtful.

I haven't done this myself as I'm able to use DC without too much annoyance or problems and use Open Office Writer to create PDFs, so proceed at your own risk.

Steve

Right after the initial post I went ahead and uninstalled DC and did exactly the above procedure.  Have no problems so far with Writer.

rif

• Not a cowboy
  Flash is getting replaced and soon PDFs will too.

I don't think PDFs are going away. There must be hundreds of software and apps that can read them and many can create them too.

Johnny2Bad

I don't think PDFs are going away. There must be hundreds of software and apps that can read them and many can create them too.

Agreed; PDF format is here to stay.

Adobe and Microsoft are well on the way to making "The Cloud" mandatory; Google is firmly behind it. Amazon is betting heavily on it.

Apple has offered some form of Cloud storage for almost 20 years (used to be the user paid annually, now free for about 10 years) although they are not pushing it as hard as the other three for applications or the OS. PC Hardware manufacturers offer free Cloud storage as part of the deal when you buy a laptop, etc.

The problem with the Cloud is it's a 1-way street ... once you use it for even minimal data storage, you are pretty much stuck with using it forever. And "using it" means in many cases, renting it, with zero user control on the future cost.

I learned my lesson many years ago with the "free eMail account" an ISP offers ... it means you can't change ISPs or you risk suffering severe eMail disruption.

Not for me, thanks, but you see lots of people with @ISP.com addresses. It's a mistake. So is the Cloud.

Doublej

I would hazard a guess to say that 90% of audio companies in business today will be gone in ten years. If it's a small one run by a single individual the number rises to 99.99%.

PDF readers are built into many browsers these days including Chrome, Safari, Edge and (I think) Firefox. So you don't need to install the Adobe reader at all.

Want a stand alone reader? There are many free third party alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

JohnR

Good timing.... I upgraded my desktop machine to the latest MS Office (365) recently. When I tried yesterday to open a file, it just won't open. I don't know why... When I tried to use the recent files list, it informed me that I had to log into OneDrive. But I don't use OneDrive... (or at least, I didn't think I did...)

I can't figure out if I'm out of touch or if this is just a bad business strategy on their part. I'm unimpressed. Office is a desktop productivity suite, I should be able to use it without having to use their "cloud" for basic features to even work.... :wtf: