Wife's Facebook account hacked

Emil

Wife's Facebook account hacked
« on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:11 pm »
Seems someone has hacked her account and is sending out friend requests to all her contacts. All her account settings have been changed.
Are these just random or was she targeted for some reason?

Why would someone do that? What should she do besides changing her password?

Thanks in advance

rocker9999

Re: Wife's Facebook account hacked
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:21 pm »
Emil,

Yes, this is a problem for the legions on Face Book. Some advice to share: Have you ever seen the movie "Catch Me if YouCan" ?
True story about a guy named Frank Abagnale, Jr. He was recently here in Columbus, OH holding a seminar on private internet security. He said that he never imagined 40 years after his hi jinks - that stealing someone's personal identity would become easier than ever before. He flat out stated: If you have a FB account, he's already 98% there in stealing your identity. Face Book offers some cool stuff - but it comes at a price - hopefully you guys can remedy your situation. Best of luck -

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:28 pm »
Looks they have her password by infecting her PC by a hidden virus.
Take care.

dpatters

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:33 pm »
I have been in IT over 30 years. Facebook is a security nightmare. Stay off of it!!!

Don P.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:39 pm »
+1
Also they want know your entire personal preferences, from religion to college, food, photos etc

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:54 pm »

So was she targeted or was this some "program" that has infected facebook?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2015, 05:01 pm »
There is various ways to collect passwords, one way is place a hidden virus inside her computer.
The malicius pgm stay there collecting info, after some time it send this info to a internet ''place'' and the hacker get it.

OBS.: Facebook is very safe, her computer may be in risk.
Looks suited proceed a virus scan with the anti-virus software if her PC have one.

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2015, 11:56 am »
First change the password. There are many ways people can get passwords. Sometimes they are so easy to guess when the password is simple, maybe a name or place, birthday. I would do a virus scan like Fullrangeman suggested and make sure you check her iPhone or Android phone to be sure it's not running one of the password stealing apps. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/24/hackers-are-hijacking-android-apps-to-steal-data.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm »
By what he says she dont have acess to the account to change password.
Maybe do the FB procedures to ask a new password send to her email.
The old too:

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2015, 02:07 pm »
I'm just not a fan of social media stuff.  It seems to happen to so many people.  At one point before I retired I worked for AOL and besides logging in with passwords we had Secure IDs which changed the combination one had to enter every 60 seconds.  A guy who worked for me went on a business trip and I noticed him online - his account was hacked even through those additional measures.  Per this article - http://nypost.com/2015/03/01/big-brother-2-0-160000-facebook-pages-are-hacked-a-day/    160,000 Facebook accounts are hacked every day.  If someone were to ask my advice, I'd tell them to change their passwords weekly or just get rid of the account.

I used to tell people I'm starting faceliftbook.com for people my age. :lol: