Decent computer speakers

Brad

Decent computer speakers
« on: 15 Sep 2015, 12:21 am »
My ancient Monsoon MM700 setup gave up the ghost (amp/subwoofer unit went out), so I took a quick look around.

Found the Mackie CR3 setup, which is marketed as being for home studio use.  For $99 shipped, quite a good sound in nearfield.
They have some nice features (there is a channel switch for the speaker with the amp, so you can change sides to match your setup), front panel aux input.  Comes with foam pads, you can adjust the tilt, and all cables needed are included.
http://mackie.com/products/cr-series    Plus, for me, they don't look as goofy as most current computer speakers.

So if anyone needs the planar satellite drivers from the Monsoons, I'll be happy to send them for the cost of shipping (they had an excellent clear midrange, and that driver was very similar to the one Brian Cheney used in several iterations of his speakers). 
If no one is interested or needs them, I'll probably try driving those speakers with the little TPA 3110 amp I built a while back.
That should be plenty of power for nearfield listening.

Cheers

GentleBender

Re: Decent computer speakers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:11 pm »
Those Monsoons look like planar speakers. Are they? Pretty good price for both of the Mackie CR3 and CR4. Just need to make sure you have the extra room for the CR4.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2015, 03:08 pm »
The challenge when looking at powered/active monitors is understanding the difference between studio monitoring and home use speakers.  Any good speaker should have a high level of detail with good timbre.

Studio monitoring is work.  The purpose is to weed out all the imperfections, so while the frequency response can be expected to be flat and imaging is solid, the sound is dry and un-involving (typical sound from Mackie, an unremarkable inexpensive monitor).  Being active design they tend to be very dynamic.

Home use monitors are typically not used in near-field settings so room effects should be accounted for.  The purpose of home listening is to derive enjoyment and making an emotional connection.

Keep in mind that powered speakers are simply passive (normal home speakers) that have have the amplifier chosen by the speaker manufacturer and normally installed inside the speaker cabinet (often the amp for both left and right channels are in one cabinet).  Active speakers also include the speaker manufacturer chosen amps, but use one per driver.  This allows for direct synergy between amp/driver and a low voltage crossover than can be more precise and include DSP.  Active designs are dynamic, have flat frequency response, and greatly extended bass.

Most powered/active monitors are intended for studio work.  The exceptions include Audioengine 2+ or 5, and PSB Alpha PS1 (all powered, but I'd recommend the active Tannoy Reveal 402 instead); Adam F5, F7, or A3X and Focal CMS 40 are all moderately priced actives ($250 - 425 each); Adam A7X, Dynaudio BM5 Mk III, Genelec M040, or especially the Neumann KH 120 ($730 - 900 each) are all well respected actives and a very nice step up.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2015, 04:23 pm »
If memory serves, those planar drivers were quite sought after a few years ago.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2015, 06:13 pm »
If memory serves, those planar drivers were quite sought after a few years ago.

They were - that's why I thought I'd see if anyone had a use for them.

For $99, the Mackies sound pretty darn good, and they're a good size for the desk that they're on.
I realize I could have done better in spending $250-500, but wasn't really an option this time.
(The Corsair SP2500 would have been on my short list)

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2015, 06:19 pm »
I was originally planning on just getting the $40 Cyber Acoustics 3602s (which are now $29 on Amazon BTW), but figured the Mackies would have a longer life and I also wouldn't have a 'subwoofer' to deal with under my desk.

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2015, 09:42 pm »
John Darko touched on this area just yesterday on DAR.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/09/think-about-the-future-an-active-kef-ls50-loudspeaker/

I second his praise for the KEF X300A, a pair of which just happen so sit beside me. Very reasonably priced at $549 on Accessories4less right now.