Don't look now: your Samsung Smart TV is spying on you

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Samsung TVs can record, and then own, your conversations and can share them with third parties without your consent AND it can also film you with the TV's camera as well.

http://boingboing.net/2015/02/06/samsung-watch-what-you-say-in.html

https://www.samsung.com/uk/info/privacy-SmartTV.html
"We collect, use, share, and store information through your SmartTV in the ways described in the Samsung Privacy Policy. This Supplement provides additional details about the privacy practices of some SmartTV features."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Don't look now: your Samsung Smart TV is spying on you
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2015, 06:43 pm »
The day I'm too lazy to pick up a remote, and need voice recognition to change the TV channel is the day I want somebody to shoot me in the head.
I do not want or need a TV equipped with a mic, much less a camera.

abernardi

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:04 pm »
Creepy.  I just got their last plasma, beautiful pic but something is defective because it keeps freezing when making adjustments, however I had about a dozen folks over for the Superbowl and from time to time it would mute the sound and the listening icon would come up.  It thought we were trying to give it voice commands and we had the darnedest time trying to get it back.  We all shook our heads at how silly and pointless all these "SMART" features are, and so not ready for prime time.
Hearing this, however, just gives me the willies.  I'm turning all that crap off, and hopefully it is ACTUALLY off.  I'm not paranoid by nature, but I still may cover the microphone with something thick and heavy!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:07 pm »
A dab of black RTV over the camera of a TV, tablet, etc... would work just fine and wouldn't look too bad either. It could also be peeled off if you wanted the camera back someday.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:36 pm »
It's only a problem if you connect it to a network. Otherwise it's just a dumb TV and it's only your other boxes connected to the network that are spying on you. This likely includes your cable box, TiVo, Roku, Apple TV, etc.

Have a smartphone? Use a credit card? Use Gmail or other free mail service? You are being spied on.

Post to this board? Someone is likely spying on you.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:40 pm »
There is a cure for this, use a laptop to supply HDMI to the " SMART" set and access online content via your computer. My Samsung LCD TV uses a WI-FI dongle to communicate with the router and I have unplugged it.
Scotty

srb

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:46 pm »
..... from time to time it would mute the sound and the listening icon would come up.  It thought we were trying to give it voice commands and we had the darnedest time trying to get it back.  We all shook our heads at how silly and pointless all these "SMART" features are, and so not ready for prime time.

A few years back I got a Moshi voice activated alarm clock because occasionally I'll wake up in the morning when it's still dark and I don't know if it's 3:00 am or 6:00 am.  If I don't have to actually open my eyes the chances of immediately going right back to sleep greatly increases.

The command "Moshi" triggers voice command mode and it responds with "Command?" to which I reply "Time".  While it works fine for that, it also sometimes responds to unwanted voice commands.

Me:  "Chloe"  (calling cat)
Moshi:  "Command?"
Me:  "CANCEL !"

Me:  "Ahchoo"  (sneezing)
Moshi:  "Command?"
Me:  "CANCEL !"

It will also respond to the TV, often to sounds that have little resemblance to "Moshi".

Steve

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2015, 09:06 pm »
It's only a problem if you connect it to a network. Otherwise it's just a dumb TV and it's only your other boxes connected to the network that are spying on you. This likely includes your cable box, TiVo, Roku, Apple TV, etc.

Have a smartphone? Use a credit card? Use Gmail or other free mail service? You are being spied on.

Post to this board? Someone is likely spying on you.

Yes, but they don't know I'm typing this in my underwear (of course now everyone knows). I have joked with my friends that all the new TV's have a camera behind the screen ever since Microsoft released Kinect, now it seems voice recognition has been added to the package. Me paranoid? No never.

With all this data gathering I'm still waiting for ads for stuff I might actually want, that would be cool. Right now I only get targeted ads for stuff I just bought, how dumb is that? I don't need another one.

Wayne

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2015, 09:08 pm »
Yes, but they don't know I'm typing this in my underwear (of course now everyone knows).
Wayne

More info than we needed - http://tribes.tribe.net/pantielover71/photos/31630f20-f62b-4ec1-8833-d136961d724d

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2015, 09:12 pm »
I like the way your nail polish matches.   :o

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2015, 09:57 pm »
Right now I only get targeted ads for stuff I just bought, how dumb is that? I don't need another one.

Exactly. I understand, and don't have a problem with my "entity" being tracked and fed advertisements that are based on previous web searches, purchases and the like (well, I do, but I'm coming to grips with the concept that it may benefit me someday). What I do have a problem with is a camera and mic in my mancave staring back at me recording and distributing what's going on in my home. That's an entirely different subject. That's an invasion of privacy. Although, if you clicked "I accept" on the EULA, then you've given up your right and have asked to be recorded.

Now....what would be nice, would be to track the fact that, for instance, I buy a lot of music CDs of a certain genre. Wouldn't it be nice to get ads for other artists of that genre when they're released? As opposed to buying a PC at TigerDirect and now all I get are ads for PCs on TigerDirect. You think I want to buy another one?

Anybody see that movie with Jim Carey, "The Truman Show"?   :o

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2015, 10:20 am »
A PC camera also can do it;
There is no more TV in my house, it let one down and fool.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2015, 02:38 pm »
Black electrician's tape.  That is the first mod to every work laptop I get.  Right over the camera.

Saves those embarrassing accidental video shares on conference calls...

Alan

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:36 pm »
The day I'm too lazy to pick up a remote, and need voice recognition to change the TV channel is the day I want somebody to shoot me in the head.

X2, brother....!

a.wayne

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:55 pm »
I spy, they Spy, enjoy  the VR feature , it's to ease the privacy evasion and add comfort , nothing new really ..... :smoke:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/technology/security/tv-hack/

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:01 am »
One device after another is adding spy tech like this, and they'll keep doing it unless consumers vote with their wallets.  I live a pretty boring life that I'm sure nobody would have any interest in seeing, still there's not a chance of me allowing that into my home. 

You know Bob, I remember my Father as children saying things like "the day I'm too lazy to stand up and change the channel, put me in my grave"  :lol: 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:48 pm »
You know Bob, I remember my Father as children saying things like "the day I'm too lazy to stand up and change the channel, put me in my grave"  :lol:
Back then, I was the remote....."Bob, get up and change the channel, Bob, get up and move the rabbit ears, Bob, turn the volume.....:lol:

ACHiPo

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:41 pm »
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

a.wayne

« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:49 pm »
Well i do too recall the  samething being said about remote controlled TV's when they came out and as Bob said , we (kids) were the remote control ... :)

Remotes , Who needs em ... !!!!