Can an iPad replace a phone?

JohnR

Can an iPad replace a phone?
« on: 30 Apr 2014, 01:24 am »
Just wondering about this. Is it possible to use an iPad to replace a phone. Using say a Skype number?

Austin08

Re: Can an iPad replace a phone?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2014, 01:35 am »
Possible. It will be a lot easier if you always have internet and the other end user has apple products like ipod, iphone or ipad. You can use face time and imessage to comunicate without paying any fee.

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2014, 01:39 am »
At the end of the day it's still just a computer. Assuming that you can find compatible software, voice over internet protocol will get you connected.
VIBER might be what you are looking for. http://www.viber.com/#iphone
Scotty

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:13 am »
Thanks Scotty. Looks like no incoming calls from regular phone with Viber.

Possible. It will be a lot easier if you always have internet and the other end user has apple products like ipod, iphone or ipad. You can use face time and imessage to comunicate without paying any fee.

I'm thinking about the version with cellular (data). Needs to work with regular phones.

Skype does look promising - https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA11008/how-do-i-receive-calls-and-instant-messages-in-skype-for-ipad

It's just occurred to me that I can probably test it with an iPod touch.

wilsynet

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:50 am »
I don't find Skype reliable enough.  Especially not on an iOS or Android device.  YMMV.

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2014, 05:18 am »
My 6 years old son using ipod to text and face time me on my iphone everyday.  If all you care is texting then fb message work with every device that has internet.

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2014, 05:29 am »
I believe he wants people to be able to phone him using a phone number.  Like what a SkypeIn number would do, or a regular phone.  But there's this promise and hope that with the maturity of VOIP technology today, maybe you could just buy a data plan and that's good enough.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2014, 01:01 pm »
I believe he wants people to be able to phone him using a phone number.

Yes, that's the idea. Works with regular phones in both directions, i.e. replace a phone. So, one plan instead of two.

Anyway I got the thing, will try some experiments with SkypeIn and report back. The data costs might be the thing that kills it in the end. Anyway! Let's see :)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2014, 01:12 pm »
I wish an iPad could have a phone!

craig223

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2014, 01:32 pm »
Windstream gave our company a demo last week of a phone system that can route your desk phone calls to any hand held device.  By using a simple Apple earbud, we were able to receive calls and make calls from an iPad that look like they came from your desk phone to Caller ID.  The technology exists and works very well.  Would imagine that this is a game changer for the phone companies.  iPad Mini looks like it could be next big thing if this technology gets rolled out to the masses.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2014, 01:34 pm »
iPad Mini looks like it could be next big thing if this technology gets rolled out to the masses.
This is exactly what my wife is hoping for! 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2014, 01:38 am »
I was thinking about doing this with an iPod Touch and using a blutooth headset (like the Plantronics Voyager + which I use everyday with my iPhone).

Skype runs on the tiny Ipod Touch and it has bluetooth, so theoretically it should work fine as long as I had wireless? But the iPod touch cost more than a new IPhone 5 for me at the time!!!

For an IPad with 3G or whatever you have there in Oz, it should be a interesting experiment. Pics of you holding it up to your ear please!
« Last Edit: 8 May 2014, 11:24 pm by jqp »

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2014, 03:47 am »
Well, it partly works. If Skype is turned on, the iPad rings with an incoming call to a SkypeIn number. Otherwise (or if you miss the call) it goes to voice message. So that's OK.

However it seems that SkypeIn can't receive text messages (SMS). And this then means you can't set up your SkypeIn number for caller ID on outgoing calls, because Skype insists that they send a text message to your caller ID number to verify it. So that's all a bit weird.