New Review - 4B-SST2 vs. Modright KWA150-SE

SoundGame

New Review - 4B-SST2 vs. Modright KWA150-SE
« on: 9 Feb 2012, 01:49 pm »
Though this review is of the KWA150-SE, it makes a number of statement on the 4B-SST2 and positions it very well against this competitor's amp that is twice the price:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0212/modwright_instruments_kwa_150_signature.htm

Extract:I've been using the Bryston 4BSST² as my reference amp for the last two years, and truth be told, there isn't a great deal of difference between the Bryston and the ModWright with the YG Carmel or with Totem's "The One" or with the Wilson Benesch Act 1. Both amps are exemplary in this company. Yes the KWA shows some extra refinement, has a more articulate bass, resolves extra detail and is sweeter in the treble but the margin of improvement in each area is small, since the Bryston hits such a high level already. Both throw a large stable image and operate effortlessly with demanding material. The Bryston is also a less expensive component at just over half the price. Where the ModWright holds the more significant advantage is in its ability to drive the most difficult loads with ease, the Totem Metal being one example. It is also a better looking amp in my book, but takes up a few more inches in height and depth and weighs significantly more even than the heavyweight Bryston.

The law of diminishing returns sets in fairly early with power amps, sooner than with source components speakers or cables. The Bryston 4BSST² does a remarkable job for under $5000, and I'm sure it's not alone in that.

OgOgilby

Re: New Review - 4B-SST2 vs. Modright KWA150-SE
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2012, 05:53 pm »
Thanks for posting the link SoundGame. That ends up being very complimentary review for the 4B SST2.

I would love to see him compare the 14B SST2 to the KWA150 SE.

-Greg

SoundGame

Re: New Review - 4B-SST2 vs. Modright KWA150-SE
« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2012, 05:56 pm »
Thanks OgOgilby - I thought so myself.  I was surprised there were not many comments on this thread. :scratch: