Damaged speakers - what to do?

Phil A

Re: Damaged speakers - what to do?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2013, 03:57 pm »
I see that the plinths on the HT2s don't increase the width of the speaker base.  Maybe a larger plinth or outrigger would be a good idea for future protection on these HT2s?

BTW, I almost wish that a cat would tear into my speakers so that I would have an excuse to get some Salks.

Perhaps the OP can make a deal to lend you some :lol:  Pets, in general, are a responsibility and it's tough.  When I had a dog, it was one of the reasons why I would not consider bookshelf speakers.  At 75 lbs. (the dog) it would have been an accident waiting to happen

broom1998

« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:19 pm »
 We had to put down our Yorkie of 11 years Sunday she was diagnosed with kidney failure 2 weeks prior, I would give my speakers away to have her back.

hope you find a repair that works for you.

Sonny

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:47 pm »
You could cover the tops of the speakers with cat skin rugs.  :thumb:

:duh:

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #23 on: 20 Aug 2013, 07:36 pm »
I would say with that deep of gouges rather than trying to refinish them find someone who can give them a professional looking distressed look.  Might be cool  :D

DRSmith

« Reply #24 on: 20 Aug 2013, 07:47 pm »
Perhaps the OP can make a deal to lend you some :lol:  Pets, in general, are a responsibility and it's tough.  When I had a dog, it was one of the reasons why I would not consider bookshelf speakers.  At 75 lbs. (the dog) it would have been an accident waiting to happen

We had a lab (85lbs) for 12+years, we had to put her down a little over a year ago.  When she was a puppy, she would run around like crazy.  So, I tried to catch her for fear that she would knock something over, so she knocked something over when I tried to catch her.  After that I decided to let her run.  She never did knock anything over after that.  Having two critters… may make it into more dangerous play though.

Rocket

« Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:10 am »
Hi,

Well I have to say that I didn't think we'd get into a debate about cats and dogs  :duh:.

Anyway Jim has confirmed that it is a really tough fix to repair the speakers because the damage is right on the corner between the hardwood and the side of the speaker.  A repair will definitely be noticeable.  I don't allow myself many luxuries in life but my stereo is one of them (I still drive a 1996 hyundai).  I'm going to telephone Jim tonight and discuss a couple of scenarios with him.

Regards Rod

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2013, 02:18 am »
We had a lab (85lbs) for 12+years, we had to put her down a little over a year ago.  When she was a puppy, she would run around like crazy.  So, I tried to catch her for fear that she would knock something over, so she knocked something over when I tried to catch her.  After that I decided to let her run.  She never did knock anything over after that.  Having two critters… may make it into more dangerous play though.

Animals don't always have the best judgment on size.  When I had my dog he still thought he was a small lap dog and would just sit down on your toes sometimes - here's something that demonstrates those principles - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAKxxdRYTE

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2013, 02:46 am »
Sorry to hear about the damage, Rod. You've had some bad luck with your system these last few years! WGH has some good advice, he is a professional high end woodworker so he knows what he is talking about. Try to raise the grain then take your time to find a talented furniture restorer repairman who can fill in the dents and recolor the surface to perfection. Ask around, especially at the high end furniture stores, they keep the best guys busy and skills sharp. They have their own shops to shoot lacquer, match colors, whatever. 
Good luck!

hakka26

« Reply #28 on: 21 Aug 2013, 02:58 am »
Yeah, what WGH posted. If you go the DYI route, be careful with the iron as you could cause the veneer glue to melt and might cause bubbling. Use a real high grit to finish.

WGH

« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2013, 05:11 am »
It would be real tricky to raise the dents in the veneer. I wouldn't worry about the glue, a little heat won't hurt the Titebond veneer glue but the finish and underlayment is another matter. Get the MDF too wet and it will puff up like a marshmallow.

If possible I would test a repair in a hidden area first or maybe Jim can sent Rod finished sample pieces for destruction and repair tests. 

Rocket

« Reply #30 on: 21 Aug 2013, 03:55 pm »
Hi WGH and Richidoo,

Thank you for your advice its really appreciated.  I telephoned Jim tonight and he quoted a quite reasonable price for two new speaker cabinets and I've decided to go this route.  I have the original HT2 speaker and he suggested that I can use my components and xover and use them in a transmission line version of the HT2 speaker.  It would mean that I just need to remove the components and xover and install them in the speakers.  Due to the increase bass response it would mean that I can use the subwoofer in HT system and it won't be wasted.

I'm going for a different speaker finish this time which should look really nice.  I know that some people may question my sanity but I really look after my gear and I don't allow myself many luxuries apart from my hifi gear and my Bach Stradivarius trumpet.

Its funny I sent a pm only a few days ago and told and AC member that I had finally fixed my turntable and amplifier issues and I was really getting back into audio.  I should have kept my mouth shut  :duh:.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, ideas and advice.

Regards Rod

WGH

« Reply #31 on: 21 Aug 2013, 05:03 pm »
Sounds like a very elegant solution, you'll love what the HT2-TL does with low notes even more.

Wayne

mrhyfy

« Reply #32 on: 21 Aug 2013, 05:20 pm »
I'd get a local furniture refinisher to fill the dents,,sand them down and then do piano black on them both

chargedmr2

« Reply #33 on: 21 Aug 2013, 10:30 pm »
I have no doubt that you made the right decision for yourself.  You're obviously one who cares about keeping things nice, and no other option is going to get you back into a like new pair of Salks.  Hopefully this wait isn't as painful as the first--you'll have the same great sound to listen to in the interim :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:16 am »
Hi,

I'm about to order the new cabinets and I've chose this colour.  My initial dismay about the damage to the cabinets has passed now but i'll still go thru with ordering them from Jim and shipping the speakers to Australia.  At least I'm going from the standard HT2 version to the transmission line and I'll be able to use the salk subwoofer with my home theatre setup.  I'll still have the LCY ribbon as opposed to the RAAL but it would have cost me too much to order the xover and new tweeters.  The LCY is every bit as good as the Raven ribbon tweeter that I had in my previous system.  My two children are going thirds with me for the new cabinets and I won't be too much out of pocket.

Cheers Rod

Ericus Rex

« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm »
...My two children are going thirds with me for the new cabinets and I won't be too much out of pocket.

Cheers Rod

Their cats, eh?

What's you plan for the old cabs?

Rocket

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2013, 11:26 pm »
Hi,

My son and daughter were looking after the house while my wife and I were away and they decided to chip in some money to help replace the speakers.  I'm undecided at this stage what to do with the speakers?  It would cost a fortune to send them to the US and no one would want them here in Australia because the brand is not known (which is a pity).

Cheers Rod

WGH

« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2013, 12:03 am »
I'm undecided at this stage what to do with the speakers?

If you covered them in carpet they would make nice cat condos.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #38 on: 24 Aug 2013, 12:12 am »
Man, that's bad, I feel for you  :(  I think after some time and maybe some cabinet touch-up work, the anguish will ease some and you will be able to live with it. As long as it still sound good.

Bummer

This -- what you want is someone who does faux-finishing and/or antique furniture touch-up repairs.  A good craftsman can make those absolutely disappear with a combination of filling, toning laquer, and hand-applied faux finish details.  Depending on the specific wood and damage, they may use a combination of epoxy or other curing resin, burned-in shellac, spray toners, dyes, and hand-painting.  You would not believe what these guys can do.  I used to be involved with tech installs in historic (US colonial-era) public buildings, and I used the local guys a lot to match and repair old woodwork and finishes.

Rocket

« Reply #39 on: 29 Aug 2013, 08:28 am »
Hi,

Just thought I'd give you an update on what I've decided to do with the HT2 speakers.  I've totally changed my plans and have now sold the speakers.  I got a decent offer that I can live with and I've decided to upgrade to a pair of HT3's.  This is the speaker that I originally wanted to purchase and in preparation, some years ago, I bought a Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 (second edition) that pumps out 300watts per channel conservatively.   The Ampzilla 2000's really are just idling when they power the HT2 speakers and they'll have plenty of power for my uses.  I can't pony up for a pair of Soundscape 8's and the HT3's will be my retirement speakers.

I'm currently working with Jim to order a pair.

Cheers Rod