Bryston Loudspeakers

fbny71

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2800 on: 12 Oct 2022, 05:09 pm »
I was thinking the crossover might have been integrated onto the speaker terminal jack plate like so many other speakers.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #2801 on: 13 Oct 2022, 12:39 am »
I was thinking the crossover might have been integrated onto the speaker terminal jack plate like so many other speakers.

If there is a middle t signature the outboard xover is a direct replacement for the active version. You sell the bax and amps you don't need anymore. Why are you changing anyway. The actives sell for double the price now if you bought years ago and used passive middle ts should pop up on the market eventually.

fbny71

« Reply #2802 on: 13 Oct 2022, 11:54 am »
Essentially simplification. One of my Middle Ts had an issue and the trouble shooting to confirm the problem was in fact with the speaker was a bit of a nightmare with the extra amps and crossover. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2803 on: 15 Oct 2022, 12:37 pm »

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #2804 on: 15 Oct 2022, 09:46 pm »
Essentially simplification. One of my Middle Ts had an issue and the trouble shooting to confirm the problem was in fact with the speaker was a bit of a nightmare with the extra amps and crossover.

I had a look at your system page. I doubt you wouldn't regret going passive with your setup. You got pissed because the troubleshooting strategy was less than perfect. It's over with and now you can get back to listening. If you need something to complain about I would start with those tile floors in your basement, not so much for the reflections but for the sake of your back.

veloceleste

« Reply #2805 on: 16 Oct 2022, 12:34 pm »
From the Bryston Active Speaker Brochure:
“Any of these three models can also be purchased as a passive model (therefore including an internal crossover and only requiring a traditional 2 channel amplifier) and can be upgraded in the future to a full Active system for simply the cost of the BAX-1 crossover plus the extra amplifier channels.*
* True of loudspeakers produced in 2018 or beyond”
I would confirm with Bryston.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2806 on: 16 Oct 2022, 01:37 pm »
Sorry that was a misprint.

It might be a good idea going forward though as we have had a lot more interest in Active systems lately.

james

Mag

« Reply #2807 on: 16 Oct 2022, 02:56 pm »

I'm glad to see this article, finally someone else confirms for me what I've been saying for years. My Model T passive speakers kick ass.
My secondary system in my bedroom/office is pretty darn good mainly due to room acoustics. When I move to the big rig the Model T's take the music to another level of enjoyment, very Live like in my opinion having been to the real thing.

My 9th Model T anniversary date is fast approaching and preparations are underway. Probably be a low key celebration this year as the big event will be the 10th anniversary. As always deciding on this years playlist is the challenge as I tend to listen to music that has been tried and proven as opposed to listening or searching for new to me material that ends up to be less than satisfying. :smoke:

fbny71

« Reply #2808 on: 17 Oct 2022, 12:58 pm »
I had a look at your system page. I doubt you wouldn't regret going passive with your setup. You got pissed because the troubleshooting strategy was less than perfect. It's over with and now you can get back to listening. If you need something to complain about I would start with those tile floors in your basement, not so much for the reflections but for the sake of your back.

I wasn't nor am I pissed, it was an inconvenience but things go wrong sometimes, that's easily understandable. It did make me reconsider going active mainly because I ended up getting another pair of floor standers while the issue was resolved. I don't need both pairs as I only have the one space in the basement - which is always a work in progress BTW is comfortable and sounds good to my ears - so I'm just weighing my options!   

fbny71

« Reply #2809 on: 17 Oct 2022, 01:01 pm »
Any of these three models can also be purchased as a passive model (therefore including an internal crossover and only requiring a traditional 2 channel amplifier) and can be upgraded in the future to a full Active system for simply the cost of the BAX-1 crossover plus the extra amplifier channels.*

Sorry that was a misprint.

It might be a good idea going forward though as we have had a lot more interest in Active systems lately.

james

@James Tanner, you're saying that the text I bolded was a misprint?

fbny71

« Reply #2810 on: 17 Oct 2022, 01:01 pm »
“Any of these three models can also be purchased as a passive model (therefore including an internal crossover and only requiring a traditional 2 channel amplifier) and can be upgraded in the future to a full Active system for simply the cost of the BAX-1 crossover plus the extra amplifier channels.*

Thank you!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2811 on: 17 Oct 2022, 03:33 pm »
The ability to go from a passive to an active was a misprint.

james

fbny71

« Reply #2812 on: 17 Oct 2022, 04:07 pm »
But active to passive might be a possibility?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2813 on: 17 Oct 2022, 04:15 pm »
You would have to use the Passive crossover in an external box.

james

fbny71

« Reply #2814 on: 17 Oct 2022, 06:47 pm »
Thank you, good to know.

Blueshound

« Reply #2815 on: 27 Oct 2022, 02:40 pm »
Having upgraded my Model T passives to active a couple of years ago, I can't imagine going back. The step forward (more like a sprint) in sound quality is too important for me.

Cost be damned.  :icon_twisted:

In fact I'm still seriously contemplating T-Rex.

Brian

Lappy27

« Reply #2816 on: 22 Nov 2022, 02:22 am »
Hi all,

Looking for input from passive Model T owners and of course M. Tanner.

I’m currently shopping for true full range speakers to avoid subwoofer(s) if possible. I have a powerful amplifier (Michi S5 and his P5 companion) that is slightly tilt on the warm side of neutral as solid state goes. The combo really packed a punch.

I heard Model T a couple of times in the Bryston room at the Montreal show in the past and I always been really impressed. I’m just concerned about some comments from a professional reviewer that wrote that the T’s lacked sparkle in the highs and ultimate resolution. He also wrote that the T’s didn’t fare well in near field because of the height of the tweeters. My listening position will be an equilateral triangle of about 9 feet.

From memory, I know I would get great natural mids, dynamics and terrific bass with the T’s. But what about resolution, air and details? Decent, good, great?

For reference, I had until recently the Focal Electra 1038 BE. I really liked their resolution and speed but would like more robust low end.

Thanks for any input about my concerns.

Mag

« Reply #2817 on: 22 Nov 2022, 07:41 am »
Hi all,

Looking for input from passive Model T owners and of course M. Tanner.

I’m currently shopping for true full range speakers to avoid subwoofer(s) if possible. I have a powerful amplifier (Michi S5 and his P5 companion) that is slightly tilt on the warm side of neutral as solid state goes. The combo really packed a punch.

I heard Model T a couple of times in the Bryston room at the Montreal show in the past and I always been really impressed. I’m just concerned about some comments from a professional reviewer that wrote that the T’s lacked sparkle in the highs and ultimate resolution. He also wrote that the T’s didn’t fare well in near field because of the height of the tweeters. My listening position will be an equilateral triangle of about 9 feet.

From memory, I know I would get great natural mids, dynamics and terrific bass with the T’s. But what about resolution, air and details? Decent, good, great?

For reference, I had until recently the Focal Electra 1038 BE. I really liked their resolution and speed but would like more robust low end.

Thanks for any input about my concerns.

First of all I beg to differ from professional Reviewer, his opinion might be the case if you play the speakers neutral, I don't. I use a mixer and boost the treble +2, Mids +2 and bass between +2, +3. Also I use a Power Conditioner that keeps the voltage steady so there's no lag in the bass.
  I don't have an ideal room and it is somewhat lively, I face the speakers so they reflect off the back wall and I get a beautiful Phantom stereo image coming off my front wall that is 15' wide 8' tall. This is spectacular imaging and I doubt very much that there are other speakers that could pull this off, probably not many, this attests to the accuracy of these speakers.

Now with the bass, going +3 is definitely heavy bass that requires more power from an amp. The Model T passives can play this no problem and you won't need a sub, just that an amp with more watts then my 3B SST2 outputs.

I tweak my recording, if you think the treble lacks something. I can play you Made In Japan by Deep Purple, Ritchie Blackmore's guitar my god sounds so awesome with an edge to it. So you know these speakers can play it if it's in the recording. And if you don't want that kind of edge then set the tone control back to +1 or neutral.

As for resolution, not detailed to the extent of my Custom Studio headphones, where I can hear reverb. But excellent resolution without hearing these recording artifacts. :smoke:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2818 on: 22 Nov 2022, 12:47 pm »
Hi

Bryston speakers including the Model T are all designed using a very large anechoic chamber in our factory.  The advantage of an anechoic chamber (which by the way not many speaker companies have) is there are NO REFECTIONS in the measurements.  So you get a real picture of what the speakers true polar response is in all directions.

The graph shows the Model T Passive speaker and as you can see there is no drop off in high frequencies in either the ‘listening window’ or the’ sound power’ – which are the 2 most important measurements with any speaker.

If the speaker sounds rolled off it is much more a function of your listening room and listening position than the speaker itself.

Best
James

Blueshound

« Reply #2819 on: 22 Nov 2022, 03:47 pm »
My experience is that the Model T Signatures and the active versions are very linear and neutral sounding. The upper registers are in very good balance with the mids, and about as open as you are likely to come across with dynamic drivers requiring crossovers. The active variants are equally well balanced, but audibly more revealing and dynamic across the speakers' bandwidth.

I started with passive Model T Sigs, and then upgraded to the Bax and the actives. I have a listening space that is larger than average, which does double duty as a theatre. 2 channel music listening is roughly 80% of the use of the room, which is 25' deep by 18' wide with a 10' ceiling. I use moderate aborbing panels spaced along the side walls, one similar panel centered on the rear wall, and one moderately absorptive "cloud" on the ceiling, between the speaker locations and the primary listening seat. The panels are only 1" thick so that they primarily affect only first reflections at higher frequencies. I've intentionally avoided absorption at lower frequencies, such that the room remains reasonably "live". The front plane of the speakers is roughly 40" from the rear wall. The preferred seating position is roughly 12' from the speakers, with the front L & R speakers roughly 10" apart.

The speakers do not perceptually roll off higher frequencies, but I can see how a room with excessive damping, particular if it absorbs down into the upper mids, could create such an impression. Listening to better mixed recordings, I hear a great balance between tonality, dynamics, range even into relatively low frequencies, and soundstage.

The off axis "sound power" really seems to contribute to the adaptability of the speakers in different positions and rooms. I do find that having the speakers well away from the wall behind really opens things up. The other consideration is toe in. IMO, too much toe in makes for irregularities in perceived depth across the width of the "stage", and pushes vocals and mid-heavy instruments back. Many users toe their speakers in too much, depending on their listening space, of course. Less toe in will often create the impression of sounds both in front of and behind the plane of the speakers.

YMMV, but try adjusting toe in.

Brian

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2022, 08:25 pm by Blueshound »