NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

SteveTH

Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #3180 on: 15 Sep 2019, 11:09 am »
Not giving up on trying to necro this thread (yet).

So I made a stand and when I said think "dinner gong" I wasn't expecting it to sound like one (silly me) but it rang like a bell, the panel was ringing quite badly and lost a fair bit of bass response.

The weight of the panel resting on the polystyrene top (wall) and bottom (floor) was providing a lot of damping so the question now is how to provide effective damping and will it improve if applied to 2,3 or 4 sides?  The 2 x 40watt exciters are providing the drive the dense panel needs but at the same time that energy needs taming at the panel edges where I assume the ringing is produced without killing the highs.

I don't think any on-panel damping will make much difference so I'm going to try a simple wood frame with a U sphaped channel lined with sticky backed draft-excluder on the 3 internal faces to take care of the ringing.  Then the question would be how to stress the frame to try and bring back the bass response?  I see a MIG welder in my future... I'll try and update again but this next phase might take a bit of time.

Shame this stand didn't work out as I quite liked the look of it.  :cry: :cry:

Miiksu

« Reply #3181 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:23 pm »
@SteveTH That is very nice simple build there. Aluminium is vibration speakers best friend :) Combining with other materials gives smooth and solid frequency response. I think after 7 kHz is lowered more than your measurements because a phone... If you want best treble use a ribbon or an orthodynamic tweeter. Also try to combine with more exciters to get solid sound without unwanted big dips and don't forget to keep impedance over 4 ohm. Most amplifiers don't like lower than 4 ohm.

I have been too busy on my other projects. Hopeful I have soon something to measure with my new subs and and fixed treble.

A tiny peek... Of octave smoothed frequency response. Bass problems... That's why I'm fixing it.

tacotime323

« Reply #3182 on: 28 Sep 2019, 01:26 pm »
Have you guys seen these speakers by techtonic

https://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/professional-audio/dml-speakers/

Looks like they use a thin piece of aluminum for their DML panels

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3183 on: 28 Sep 2019, 10:52 pm »
Thanks for inform, the DML11 are the option to Hi-Fi its a 97dB
Sensitivity:  97dB (DML), 103dB (ribbon) @ 1W / 1Met
And Welcome Tacotime  :thumb:
https://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/PL-11-Data-Sheet_WSG_23OCT18.pdf

tacotime323

« Reply #3184 on: 28 Sep 2019, 11:18 pm »
Yea the specs look great, Im really curious on how it was built. Those power ratings surprise me. I would love to build something similar but with a different tweeter.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3185 on: 29 Sep 2019, 02:37 am »
The alu panel help dissipate heat.
Tweeter? its not FR one way?

tacotime323

« Reply #3186 on: 30 Sep 2019, 06:13 am »
Looks like they use some sort of flat ribbon tweeter.

Seems like for a 2 way design, crossing the panels at 120hz - 4k and tweeter to 4k and up would be a good match

MisterD

« Reply #3187 on: 13 Oct 2019, 02:42 am »
Hey folks, I’m Duane and I just registered here, this being my first post.

Without reading all through this thread, I hope you don’t mind me asking:

How many of you have tried using two exciters per panel - directly opposite from each other - one on each side of the panel, and wiring them so that while one “pushes”, the other “pulls”? What might they sound like set up that way?

Asking ‘cause that’s what I have in mind. I recently bought several Dayton “Thrusters” and a few pieces of 2’x2’ Foamular to play with. Ready to start shaping..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #3188 on: 13 Oct 2019, 04:04 am »
Hey folks, I’m Duane and I just registered here, this being my first post.

Without reading all through this thread, I hope you don’t mind me asking:

How many of you have tried using two exciters per panel - directly opposite from each other - one on each side of the panel, and wiring them so that while one “pushes”, the other “pulls”? What might they sound like set up that way?

Asking ‘cause that’s what I have in mind. I recently bought several Dayton “Thrusters” and a few pieces of 2’x2’ Foamular to play with. Ready to start shaping..
Welcome MisterD.
I have not heard this placement so far, seems you can inform us in first hand, I look forward your findings.

ace of bass

« Reply #3189 on: 3 Nov 2019, 06:07 am »
Does anyone know the best sounding alternative to the original generic parts-express exciter from 2009. I just finally took mine out of the box and mounted them to honeycomb cardboard and they were sounding really good. Then I tripped over the speaker wire and it pulled hard on it and now the highs just don't shine through..sounds much duller. Sad, because can't find these anywhere now.

mcek

« Reply #3190 on: 4 Nov 2019, 05:19 pm »
I need to mount a Dayton daex30hesf upside-down in an horizontal wood panel for a project. Any experience with the exciter working in this way? I browsed the 160 pages of this thread and all DML projects work with vertical panels. Should I use the mounting holes in this case? Or do you think that the coil can support the weight of the exciter?
Thanks in advance

JamieMatt

« Reply #3191 on: 12 Nov 2019, 08:55 am »
Hi all, first post but I've been stalking this thread for a while. I finally got my first test panel cut a few minutes ago. It's a small 250mmX404.5mm 25mm XPS panel, gonna start sanding now and apply the pva/water mixture and then start cutting another design.

JamieMatt

« Reply #3192 on: 12 Nov 2019, 12:47 pm »
Second test panel

Veleric

« Reply #3193 on: 4 Dec 2019, 11:09 pm »
Have you guys seen these speakers by techtonic

https://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/professional-audio/dml-speakers/

Looks like they use a thin piece of aluminum for their DML panels

Hi all, I'm new here too! 

taco,
What makes you say the tectonic panel is aluminum?  Is it just the appearance or did you read that somewhere?  It would be interesting if it is, but 
this tectonic video shows a panel that does not appear to be aluminum.  It looks more like a composite to me.
Eric
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPESFKgkWfI

Veleric

« Reply #3194 on: 4 Dec 2019, 11:32 pm »

I did.  I had hoped that strategy would clean up the unpleasant mushiness I feel like I hear when I use Gatorboard (and PS foam, and foamcore).  Unfortunately it did not.  Initially I tried it on Gatorboard with the exciters wired out of phase (so one pushes when the other pulls), but it had effect that I could hear.  It still had the mushy sound.  For yucks I tried it with the exciters wire in-phase too, and of course that was just terrible.

But I'm still interested to see if you find a positive effect.  Just don't be surprised if you don't.

Eric

crackie

« Reply #3195 on: 9 Jan 2020, 07:07 am »
Not visited the thread for quite a while so just catching up......

Unless the exciter design is very poor, a DML's HF extension is determined by the panel material's compressive strength and internal damping properties, not the exciter performance. Aluminium honeycomb panels are excellent and Nomex honeycombs are also a good compromise for high comp strength and low panel mass. The low panel mass of, paper skinned, aluminium honeycomb panels gives 93/94dB @1W sensitivity when used with a decent exciter. Aluminium honeycombs with high quality skins give flat HF extension to 25kHz and decent output above 30kHz.

DML panels have to be VERY big to make bass flat bass below 150Hz. Panels are packed with modes at higher frequencies but there are only 3 fundamental modes at low frequencies ( length, width and the lowest diagonal mode ). Panels are sparsely modal at LF and densely modal at HF.......consequently LF performance is seriously lumpy.

When developing a DML, try measuring the off axis polar response and at multiple different mic distances too; DMLs are strange things and don't behave anything like conventional moving coils. DMLs are simultaneously in phase and out of phase with themselves at the same time!!  Small changes in mic position can have a huge effect on measured performance.

gander2

« Reply #3196 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:54 am »
I have in my pocession, two DIY, 79''tall by 28 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick prototype NXT panel speakers.

They will soon have a seventh NXT ''exciter'' mounted to the rear of each panel(all in a vertical array, evenly spaced but no one exciter in the exact middle of the panel). Impedance : 4.67ohms.
Due to 7 exciters per panel, I estimate a sensitivity of 95db, maybe a bit more.

For those who are interested, I have followed the design of PODIUM LOUDSPEAKERS in the U.K. :thumb:    BUT, ........mine are somewhat larger with more exciters per panel than their biggest model(Model1 : 5 exciters per panel).

I have posted on this forum as it is the closest thing that relates to this type of speaker ( sort of).

The panels are made from GATORFOAM which is a polystyrene core sandwiched between a very thin wood fibre composite material known as LUXCELL (a kind of wood veneer ).

The exciters create a DML (DISTRIBUTED MODE LOUDSPEAKER) speaker which is essentially a large surface made to vibrate with random modal excitations.

I am stunned at how good these things sound but it's been a long hard road finding the right panel material and positioning the exciters to obtain optimum fidelity.
They can produce immense bass at times(but not sub woofer like) and have a transparency, speed and midrange resolution to die for.

They still need mounting in frames (no time lately  :duh:) so they rest vertically up against the edge(with a piece of spongy foam) of my horn speakers at the moment

I can post some pics. if anyone is interested?

Can you give us exact dimensions and positions of the Exciters? And what kind of exciters?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #3197 on: 23 Feb 2020, 11:24 am »
Can you give us exact dimensions and positions of the Exciters? And what kind of exciters?
Sorry to inform Zygadr passed away in 2015.
RIP

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #3198 on: 17 Mar 2020, 12:59 am »
Not visited the thread for quite a while so just catching up......

Unless the exciter design is very poor, a DML's HF extension is determined by the panel material's compressive strength and internal damping properties, not the exciter performance. Aluminium honeycomb panels are excellent and Nomex honeycombs are also a good compromise for high comp strength and low panel mass. The low panel mass of, paper skinned, aluminium honeycomb panels gives 93/94dB @1W sensitivity when used with a decent exciter. Aluminium honeycombs with high quality skins give flat HF extension to 25kHz and decent output above 30kHz.

DML panels have to be VERY big to make bass flat bass below 150Hz. Panels are packed with modes at higher frequencies but there are only 3 fundamental modes at low frequencies ( length, width and the lowest diagonal mode ). Panels are sparsely modal at LF and densely modal at HF.......consequently LF performance is seriously lumpy.

When developing a DML, try measuring the off axis polar response and at multiple different mic distances too; DMLs are strange things and don't behave anything like conventional moving coils. DMLs are simultaneously in phase and out of phase with themselves at the same time!!  Small changes in mic position can have a huge effect on measured performance.

Different exciters sound different unless you believe all drivers sound exactly alike. Some exciters have higher frequency extension and some have more bass.

DML panels do not have to be very big to make bass. A 24inchX15inch panel can produce bass down to 50hz. if built right.

entrepreneur724

« Reply #3199 on: 28 May 2020, 10:09 pm »
Typical you use white glue. But there are pva-based craft glues that should work just as good. Mix it with the same amount of water and glue and use a foam roller to apply it to the panels. You can use a hair dryer to help drying.
There are different suggestions how many times you should treat the panel for best sound. Most treat once or twice. Someone suggested to treat the side with the exciter twice and the other side once.
After this the panel feels a bit like sand paper.

New panel maker here. :)

I just made my first XPS panels. 24x38x1", sanded, rounded the corners, coated with 2 layers of 1:1 wood glue and water. Sound is exactly the same as factory panels which is quite muffled. Any idea why?

I have tested with a DAEX32EP-4, simply holding it on the rear of the panel with my hand. I was using the sticky ring and not holding it on, but it has become unsticky with testing. I also made a small one 15x9.5x1" with the same method, and has the same muffled sound.

Any help is appreciated.  :)