Pass Labs/Odyssey Combo

topside3

Pass Labs/Odyssey Combo
« on: 4 Mar 2023, 03:10 am »
Hey everyone. Is there any reason why a Pass Labs XP-12 wouldn't handshake well with Odyssey Kismets? Trying to pinpoint an audible clipping/distortion problem. Weird thing is it doesn't happen with every song, and it doesn't seem to be related to volume.

newzooreview

Re: Pass Labs/Odyssey Combo
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:01 am »
Something intermittent sounds like a source or cabling issue.

Are you connecting balanced outputs from the XP-12 to balanced inputs on the Kismets?

Is the glitch coming from just one channel? (Probably not or you would have mentioned it).

What is the source?

topside3

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:09 am »
I'm connected via RCA from the Pass to the Kismets (only input on the amps). Using the same track, I get the same issue with two different sources (CD player and streamer through DAC). So that's why I'm thinking it's the pre or amp, or combo of the two.

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:20 am »
Got it.

That is odd. Pass Labs and Odyssey are unlikely to be doing anything unusual with output and input impedances. I could be wrong.

Is the clipping/distortion audible at one frequency extreme or another?

topside3

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:26 am »
It seems to be mainly upper mids where I notice it - piano, solo sopranos. I agree it's very odd since it's not on every song.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2023, 07:15 am »
If it is repeatable with certain songs then check the source,  i.e.  CD's or records...as for components,  it might be a driver in the speakers,  or mylars with push/pulls....then tighten the screws / bolts first.

Neither the Pass nor our amps have that kind of intermittent problems,  and they don't have "muscle memory"  .... .
it would either distort or it doesn't in either case.........

SJ David

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2023, 05:39 pm »
What have you changed presuming you have only recently noticed the harshness? Don't rule out speaker positioning, maybe even room acoustics, as part of the issue.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2023, 07:57 pm »
does your cd player or streamer have a headphone jack?  better yet, buy an inexpensive headphone amp.  then you can try it on the output of the cd pleyaer, the streamer, then the preamp to isolate the problem from the odyssey amp.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2023, 11:12 pm »
Try different cables, maybe you have a loose wire in one.