If you were looking for a CD player....

2bigears

If you were looking for a CD player....
« on: 6 Oct 2022, 08:08 pm »
 :D hello good AC peeps.  As the title says, if you were looking for a CD player in the 2 or 3 grand zone,, what brand or model would you go for.  I still have 1500 cds. Sold my player long ago for digital front end. Wondering if a good old used CD player would be a good investment.   :D

Loki57

Re: If you were looking for a CD player....
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2022, 08:44 pm »
With 1500 cd's I'd have a good player. I have about 1200. Many things I can't get on lp.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2022, 09:00 pm »
Check out Sparkler Audio. The designer hand builds his. Awesome stuff.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2022, 09:26 pm »
 :D well calling out all good people that have one and want to sell. I'd like to compare to my dig front end. somebody must have one kicking under some dust ??  :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2022, 10:42 pm »
This is the Source Component Reviews Circle.
This topic seems not be a review, maybe the
 moderator could move it to other Circle.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2022, 11:21 pm »
 :D darn.  I can never get these to the right channels.  :duh: :D

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2022, 11:34 pm »
Pick up a used Rega Saturn and call it a day.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2022, 12:22 am »
One thought might be to get a standalone DAC, and then a less expensive player to use as a transport (or more expensive, if you feel transports make a big difference in sound).  In that scenario I am partial to the older Pioneer stable platter mechanisms as a transport; I have a PD-65 that I break out once in awhile that I am very happy with.

And if you put money into the DAC, replacing a less expensive transport/player isn't as big a hardship.  And you can experiment with different ones to see if you find a difference.

Bob Stark

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2022, 09:20 am »
Look for a used Modwright Sony or Oppo.  I've had a few different Modwrights and each was very good sounding in all ways--much more analog sounding.  The Oppo would give you the ability to play any type of disc made.

The newest to oldest listed:                                     
    Modwright Sony 5400 Signature Truth                Modwright Oppo 205
    Modwright Sony 9100                                       Modwright Oppo 105
    Modwright Sony 9000                                       Modwright Oppo 95
                                                                          Modwright Oppo 83

Dan Wright of Modwright rebuilds much of the players and takes a good unit and makes it great.  Starting with the 9100, builds separate power supplies and also uses tubes in key spots.  He stands behind his products and makes sure his customers are very happy.  I've not owned a Modwright Oppo but have owned all 3 MW Sony's.  I still have the newest one, the MW 5400.  I do not use an outboard DAC because my heavily modded 5400 sounds so good on it's own.  I've done several things since getting it from Dan that have made it even better sounding.  You could use a separate DAC with it, however.  Dan allowed me to upgrade to the newer and better sounding unit for very reasonable cost.  Both the 9000 and the 9100 were bought used, the latter from Dan that was traded in.  He did a total check and replaced anything that was not perfect before he offered it to me.  A used MW 5400 will go from about $1700-2500.  I was anti-CD person unit I heard the MW 9000 in my system.  It was so much better sounding than any I had tried previously that it changed my mind forever.  I still have a very good analog system for records that is also very good sounding. 

The MW Oppo 205's will go for $2800-4000.  Oppo is no longer in business so owners are asking much higher prices.  The MW 205 is a really good sounding unit.  I had an unmodified Oppo 83 to use in a home theater system that I bought used.  The laser and drawer crapped out in weeks.  Dan did not mod that unit--it was just OK sounding--nothing like the MW Oppo's, prior to the parts failing.  The MW Sony players have an edge in  clarity and the Oppo's have a bit stronger bass it you compared the 2 such as the MW 5400 and the MW 205.  I would say the laser on the Sony's would tend to last longer than the one on the Oppo due to the amount of differentiating discs the Oppo must perform.  The 9100 and 5400 are also SACD/CD players.

The latest CD player to get the MW treatment was a Marantz 8004 or 8005 I believe.  IF you saw one of those on the used market, they would also be awesome sounding, but I haven't heard them.  I haven't seen a MW Marantz on the used market so far--I'm on 3 different sites nearly every day.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2022, 09:37 am »
Oppo now makes phones just like Foxcon, more profitable I suppose.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2022, 10:05 am »
Some of us are buying old battleship grade universal players at thrift stores then getting a remote from eBay.  The best ones all have a digital out where you attach the modern day DAC of your choice.  I've got an ancient.JVC behemoth going in to a Topping  DAC and it sounds great.

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2022, 11:11 am »
At three grand I'd look for a lightly used Luxman d-05U or possibly a D-O3X. The build quality is impeccable, reliability is as good as it gets, you can use the internal DAC to decode external streams, and they decode SACDs as well. I had a D-05 for 10 years and enjoyed it every day without fail.

mhconley

« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2022, 01:55 pm »
For all formats I’d look a the Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD. (The newer PD-D9 is nice, too.) For CD & DVD a Pioneer DV-09. For CD only an older Pioneer PD-65, PD-S95, PD-95 or PD-T9.

Martin

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:27 pm »
At three grand I'd look for a lightly used Luxman d-05U or possibly a D-O3X.

Here's one to consider: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649903748-luxman-compact-disc-player-cd-03x/

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2022, 04:08 pm »
The only sensible thing to do is get one of each and then do a Source Component Review for us.
That way this thread wouldn't have to get moved AND you get to play with a lot of used stuff.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2022, 04:43 pm »
The only sensible thing to do is get one of each and then do a Source Component Review for us.
That way this thread wouldn't have to get moved AND you get to play with a lot of used stuff.

SteveFord makes a lot of sense here!  It's the only reasonable thing to do.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2022, 05:17 pm »
This topic made me remember a Denon DCD-1520 in perfect condition I sold for a few dolars  :duh:

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2022, 09:08 pm »
While I’ve not heard their current offering, I’ve been very happy with my Rotel CD player that I bought in the 1990s and still use to this day.

Here’s their current “flagship” model

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-pnGZaEpNxj4/p_440CD5722B/Rotel-RCD-1572-MKII-Black.html?XVINQ=GLX&XVVer=1DSJ&awcr=574530250035&awdv=c&awnw=g&awug=9008575&awkw=pla-1593578634158&awmt=&awat=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-m2xYLP-gIVxt7ICh3GYQ7rEAQYASABEgKl2fD_BwE

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2022, 12:28 am »
Check out Sparkler Audio. The designer hand builds his. Awesome stuff.
+1
I have and upgraded S503. Sounds great and hand made with nos chip. Very natural sounding.
The s503 isn’t made anymore it’s been replaced with the s515. About 2k

http://www.sparkler-audio.com/portfolio/S515_en.html

Contact Viktor here to purchase https://www.vkmusic.ca/Sparkler%20Audio%20S507.htm

survey_sez

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2022, 01:16 am »
I've allways been very fond of Oppo. Plays DVD-Audio and SACD as well. They are getting harder to find.