Dishwasher reliability and performance?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Dishwasher reliability and performance?
« on: 21 Aug 2021, 11:09 pm »
It's nearly time to replace our dishwasher, and am considering Bosch.

Thoughts?  Recommendations? Other?

Thanks! 

'brick

Nsm1979

Re: Dishwasher reliability and performance?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2021, 11:53 pm »
Put one in a couple of years ago.  No question, I will be buying Bosch dishwashers in the future as well..  Highly recommended.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2021, 12:05 am »
I would offer two recommendations based on my experience a year or so ago....

Do not buy a LG dishwasher, and do not buy any dishwasher from Home Depot.

I purchased a very expensive LG dishwasher in January 2020. Delivery went as expected, and I made sure to inspect the item when it arrived. All looked good from my perspective. There certainly wasn't any sign that the dishwasher was damaged.

I installed it and it worked great for the first few days. Suddenly, the dishwasher started to leak water all over the floor. I thought it might have been an installation issue; not the case.

When I had LG come out and inspect the dishwasher, and they removed all of the insulation wrapped around the unit, the tub was dented. They blamed it on Home Depot and wouldn't replace or fix it.

I called Home Depot and they wouldn't take responsibility for the damage either. Because I took delivery on the product and didn't report the damage within 48 hours, they wouldn't take the product back or give me a replacement. Without the leaking water I would have had to unwrap the insulation to detect the issue. The issue wasn't readily apparent to even the LG technician until he removed all of the soundproofing insulation.

I went back and forth with everyone, including the store manager, and no one would help me out.

I ended up with a four figure paperweight and had to buy another dishwasher. I went with Kitchen Aid from a local place and have had zero issues.

It obviously got dropped at some point by someone in the warehouse or the delivery team. They swapped boxes and said screw it. The customer got stuck with the loss.   

Theronbo

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2021, 12:09 am »
I live on a well… hard water…

I assume dishwashers are disposable…

Buy the near cheapest… (look db rating)… install it myself.

Current one is 5+ years old still going strong… gets the dishes clean & is so quiet yo7 don’t even know it’s on.

Frigidaire $380 stainless steel front.

& bought it from HD… just showed up… what’s the cheapest… wait, that ones just $30 more & is super quiet.

thorman

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2021, 12:10 am »
 Bausch sucks !  Bought a new Bausch Dishwasher and within 1 year it started to fail and within another 2 years had to replace it with a cheap Whirlpool...5 years later the Whirlpool is still doing well. Don't pay high prices for cheap junk !

Theronbo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2021, 12:13 am »
I live on a well… hard water…

I assume dishwashers are disposable…

Buy the near cheapest… (look db rating)… install it myself.

Current one is 5+ years old still going strong… gets the dishes clean & is so quiet you don’t even know it’s on.

Frigidaire $380 stainless steel front.

& bought it from HD… just showed up… what’s the cheapest… wait, that ones just $30 more & is super quiet.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2021, 01:10 am »
I have a Bosch dishwasher that's about 4 years old. Bought it from Lowes. At first, it was great. It's super quiet (quieter when new, but gets a little louder later on). About once or twice a year, I have to pull it out, disconnect the drain line, and unclog it. And the plastic rack rollers always fall off. It works well, but kinda annoying when it's time to unclog it. It makes me re-think the need for a dishwasher. They're extremely wasteful -- takes nearly 2.5 hours to clean a load of dishes when you can hand wash the same amount in 10 minutes with fewer resources.

I don't know if the brand matters anymore with appliance purchases. Whatever you buy is like rolling the dice. Even if you pay more, you don't necessarily get more. Hmmm...kinda like audio... 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2021, 03:13 am »
We like Bosch. Second house with one. Now I am 6 feet from it watching tv and never hear it running.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2021, 04:20 am »
We have three Bosch dishwashers. The unit in our house is about two years old; the other two are in rentals, and are about three years old. Zero issues. Very quiet.

Eventually, when the other two rentals’ dishwashers die, I plan to replace them with Bosch dishwashers.

I’ve had GE, KitchenAid, and Whirlpool dishwashers. They were ‘okay’, but much noisier than the Bosch units.   

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2021, 01:01 pm »
Was unable to find a Bosch a few months ago due to the pandemic. Not sure what the availability of them are now.
We bought a Kitchen Aide with the 3rd shelf. Unit is easy to load, very quiet, and besides getting the dishes clean all comes out dry which was my wife's biggest complaint of the last 2 dishwashers we owned.
Good luck!

Steve

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2021, 02:46 pm »
I've had Bosch dishwashers in my past three houses. This one is going on 8 years or so.  No issues so far.  It has the third rack, which we really like (though if you pack the second rack, sometimes the silverware does not get clean).  It's also extremely quiet.  The only time you hear is initial startup, draining, and sometimes if you put something in wrong and the sprayer hits something. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2021, 03:36 pm »
Another recommendation for Bosch.  We also have very hard water, but use softened water to wash dishes (recently replaced our ion exchange softener with a LifeSource template assisted crystallization descaler which seems to work better in the dishwasher and laundry but that is another thread).

It is 8 years old and our second Bosch (we moved--the last one was trouble free for 4 years before we moved) and I would definitely buy the brand again.  The only thing we don't like is that dishes don't dry completely, but I think that is common to all modern energy efficient dishwashers.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2021, 04:42 pm »
My Bosch is going on 9 years and still quiet as a church mouse. The unit has a build in water softener, I use the Bosch salt because it is recommended and lasts so long that the cost isn't even a minor expense. I have a small house kitchen so when I remodeled I made room for the 18" wide Bosch. The unit is big enough to wash all the dishes and glasses from a 4 person dinner party as long as the pots, pans and platters are washed in the sink, which is usually done anyway.

djbnh

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2021, 04:56 pm »
Bosch 800 series that was purchased @ Lowes (10% Veterans discount helped defray cost!) we installed ourselves. No issues after 8+ years, stainless steel model, top controls, w/three racks. Super quiet (44 dBA-)/ Energy Star / water miserly. All ours does is wash and dry, wash and dry, wash and dry, etc. So quiet that we need the InfoLight® Beam on the floor to indicate the dishwasher is running. FYI - we're on well water albeit with a softener / iron removing system. Latest comparable 800 Premium series models are even a few dBs quieter, and list price is about $500 more than what ours actually cost.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2021, 05:34 pm »
Bosch 800 series that was purchased @ Lowes (10% Veterans discount helped defray cost!) we installed ourselves. No issues after 8+ years, stainless steel model, top controls, w/three racks. Super quiet (44 dBA-)/ Energy Star / water miserly. All ours does is wash and dry, wash and dry, wash and dry, etc. So quiet that we need the InfoLight® Beam on the floor to indicate the dishwasher is running. FYI - we're on well water albeit with a softener / iron removing system. Latest comparable 800 Premium series models are even a few dBs quieter, and list price is about $500 more than what ours actually cost.

+1 on the Bosch 800 series. Reliable and super quiet.

RPM123

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2021, 05:38 pm »
Miele "Diamond Futura" Series. Not cheap, but still going strong after 5 years and also very quiet!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2021, 06:26 pm »
You need on of these babies. 1971 GE Potscrubber 980. It's got the plastic interior with aquamarine colored racks...pretty stylin'.  Noisy as hell but gets stuff clean. Came with the house purchased in 2004. In that time, I've made the same repair twice. Flex wire harness running from chassis to door has had wires break within insulation. The most recent repair should be good till....well, I don't know, until it breaks again...

It used to groan as the bottom sprayer rotated, but fixed itself after a few years so I guess it's got a self-healing function. And look at that chrome and wood-grain vinyl! She's a keeper, but mostly because I haven't gotten to remodeling that part of the house yet and it feels right at home with the similar vintage drop-in range and refrigerator, which also just keep on chooglin' along .

sounddog

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2021, 09:02 pm »
We bought a Bosch 500 series d/w a couple of months ago and love it. We previously had a KitchenAid, which was cheaply built (after the warranty ran out, plastic parts, wheels on the racks, etc started breaking off). Plus we had to rinse the dishes (especially bowls) a lot or they wouldn’t get clean. The Bosch seems much more solidly built, cleans MUCH better (no dish rinsing needed), is quieter, has a useful 3rd rack for utensils and such, and dries much better than the KitchenAid; the 500 series uses an Auto Air system that pops the door open about 4” after the last cycle, which is amazingly good at drying the dishes - the more expensive 800 series uses zeolite crystals that heat to 170 degrees when in contact with water and apparently is even better at drying). I can’t comment on reliability since we’ve had it such a short tome, but Bosch got excellent ratings from Consumer Reports and is a top pick of the New York Times’ Wirecutter site.

mscetal

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2021, 09:27 pm »
You need on of these babies. 1971 GE Potscrubber 980. It's got the plastic interior with aquamarine colored racks...pretty stylin'.  Noisy as hell but gets stuff clean. Came with the house purchased in 2004. In that time, I've made the same repair twice. Flex wire harness running from chassis to door has had wires break within insulation. The most recent repair should be good till....well, I don't know, until it breaks again...

It used to groan as the bottom sprayer rotated, but fixed itself after a few years so I guess it's got a self-healing function. And look at that chrome and wood-grain vinyl! She's a keeper, but mostly because I haven't gotten to remodeling that part of the house yet and it feels right at home with the similar vintage drop-in range and refrigerator, which also just keep on chooglin' along .

Peter, she's a beaut!

Mike

fado

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2021, 06:07 am »
Our ~26 year old Miele dishwasher is just now telling us that it is time to look for a replacement. New Miele's will most likely not be available until February or March of 2022. I am considering a Thermador Sapphire model which may possibly be available by the end of this year but most sales people think Miele is still the machine most likely to continue beyond the 10th - 12th year.