How much gain/amp/power is too much for the x5?

geerock

Re: How much gain/amp/power is too much for the x5?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2021, 08:23 pm »
With my PL using EL34s in triode mode, 40 watts/channel, volume set to a little less than 3 out of 12. Music from X5s is from 75-80 db.
Just to provide information on how sensitivity of this level works with power requirements.
At that decibel level you are using maybe 5 watts of power.  Maybe.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2021, 08:34 pm »
You can't really have too much power, but you can have too much gain.

Exactly!

You want to have the right amount of gain in your system that provides optimal performance and volume control.

This is going to vary greatly based on equipment, size of listening room, level of loudness you listen at, etc...

George

glfrancis

« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2021, 08:41 pm »
What I don't want and experienced at a dealer: a good hybrid integrated amp that I had to turn all the way up and still felt like it needed more. I don't see that being an issue with any of the amps & speakers being discussed here, but just an example. on the opposite end, I like that I can adjust the volume on my Yamaha between 9 and 12 o'clock depending on how loud I want it. The volume still has some flexibility and usefulness. And yes, too much gain is a concern. i promise that this is all making sense in my head  8)

Oh, and I have posted it before possibly another thread. Listening room: 13.5 x 19 x 8 feet. Shouldn't be a problem to get the speakers at least 3 feet from the front wall and 2 feet from the side walls

glfrancis

« Reply #23 on: 26 Aug 2021, 04:01 pm »
Asked tweek geek about the 225i and received this reply

It does not allow for gain adjustment, but I used that exact combination in my Denver studio and never had an issue with it being overly sensitive. It operated quite normally with the midnight position on the volume (50 on the display) being fairly loud, and being able to turn it up to the 1-2 O'clock position for maximum volume.

Kind Regards,

Mike Garner | Head Geek