NuPrime Omnia A300 & A300SE

rustydoglim

NuPrime Omnia A300 & A300SE
« on: 4 Dec 2020, 11:55 pm »
We are delighted to announce the release of NuPrime Omnia A300, shipping before Christmas, 2020.
This "beast" packed everything in one box for $1395.

To learn more, visit the product page and download the user manual.

https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/omnia-a300/

->https://nuprimeaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/Omnia-A300-Manual-final-Dec-4-2020.pdf

« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2022, 07:14 pm by rustydoglim »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: NuPrime Omnia A300
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2020, 09:11 pm »
Jason,

Clicking on the link to the user manual yields a 404 error. This works though: 

https://nuprimeaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/Omnia-A300-Manual-final-Dec-5-2020.pdf?v=3d9975706be3

Michael

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2020, 11:28 am »
Jason,

Can you discuss more about how the A-300 sounds? It's really hard to make an informed decision with so little information available.

You could send me one to demo...hint hint...Then, I could write my impressions in this thread....Shipping is super quick from the warehouse to 桃園.

Michael

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2020, 06:49 pm »
Jason,

Clicking on the link to the user manual yields a 404 error. This works though: 

https://nuprimeaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/Omnia-A300-Manual-final-Dec-5-2020.pdf?v=3d9975706be3

Michael

I updated the manual, ignore my link and go to the website product page to download.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2020, 06:51 pm »
Jason,

Can you discuss more about how the A-300 sounds? It's really hard to make an informed decision with so little information available.

You could send me one to demo...hint hint...Then, I could write my impressions in this thread....Shipping is super quick from the warehouse to 桃園.

Michael

We will provide a sound listening impression section on the product page by end of this week.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2020, 10:36 am »
This listening impression and setting guide is written by NuPrime senior product manager and audiophile:

The Omnia A300 is the first streaming integrated amplifier from NuPrime. There are bound to be comparisons with the other integrated offerings like the IDA-8 or the IDA-16. To say that it sits between the IDA-8’s slightly warm nature and the IDA-16’s neutral and large sound is probably insufficient to describe the A300’s sound signature.

Firstly, to listen to the A300 on its own without comparison, one may wonder where the A300 excels. All the desirable sonic attributes such as detail retrieval, tonal accuracy, and imaging are all up to the usual NuPrime standards. Yet, it doesn’t have the unique sound characteristics of the IDA-8 or the IDA-16 that one would immediately notice and relate to. The overall presentation is of an even tonal balance, calm and collected, to avoid edginess.

So while the other amps will likely make an impression of how they sound and provide a picture of what music genres they favor or matching equipment, the A300 aims to accommodate a wide range of equipment and genres. Not forgetting that this is a streaming amplifier that most people would use the A300 to stream music from their servers or online streaming services, the slightly safe approach would make sense for such a product. And this is only true when the A300 is set to the FLAT EQ with the 8R output setting.
The A300 comes with two output settings for the power amplifier matching with higher or lower impedance speakers. While one could easily follow the speaker’s nominal impedance rating to set the output, the abundance power output means that the 8R setting would have no problems driving a number or lower impedance speakers as well. And this is where you can begin to tailor the A300’s sound. The 4R setting increases the speed and dynamics, making for a more exciting listen, and some users would prefer this sound over the calmer and slightly more accurate sounding 8R setting.

The various EQ presets also allows users to add some flavor to the A300’s sound without sacrificing its detailed and composed nature. While the FLAT setting works quite well for online streaming services, many would favor the Loudness EQ with higher bit-rate and less compressed material. This setting brings about fullness in the sound, which makes the soundstage somewhat wider and deeper. Though other EQ settings may be associated with musical genres, it is entirely worth experimenting with optimal system matching in different setups.

Finally, before assessing the A300, the amp requires quite a fair bit of running-in like other NuPrime amplifiers. At least 50 hours is recommended for the sound to open up and gain an extra degree of tonal richness.

pixelmixture

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2021, 09:39 pm »
is a Fletcher-Munson Curve EQ Preset is possible ? while your products are capable of delivering serious power ( and that's great ) i would love to have a low level isosonic curve mode on my ida8 when i listen to it at low volume ... would it be possible with firmware upgrade with the omnia ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2021, 07:15 pm »
At low level volume, IDA-8 would sound better than A300.

pixelmixture

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2021, 10:36 pm »
why ?

is the omnia more or less capable of driving not very sensitive speakers than the ida-8 ?
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2021, 01:54 pm by pixelmixture »

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2021, 08:14 pm »
It is due to the amp's design. At this price level, we can't design the amp that performs like Evo One, ST-10 or AMG STA.
So trade offs have to be made.

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2021, 11:02 pm »
The latest over-the-air firmware and app update is available from Apple and Google store.

https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/omnia-a300/

To see the list of problems, click on the PROBLEMS tab.
Follow the Over-the-Air update instructions on the APP & FIRMWARE tab.

Sonic Peter

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2021, 12:12 pm »
I am really enjoying our a300. I do have a couple of questions though.

The specs include a rating for clipping power of 230w. What does this mean exactly?

Also our tv gives a very low signal via optical cable. Is it ok to run the amp up full if there is no distortion and the it is not getting hot?

It goes super loud while streaming in the  -10  to -20 db range!!

oskar

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2021, 01:58 pm »
Are you using a cable converter? I run optical from my converter box to IDA-16.
With the converter remote I set a volume and then use my amps remote to adjust volume.
Is the optical out on your TV a fixed level?

Sonic Peter

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2021, 08:16 pm »
No converter. Fixed level output. I actually tried the headphone out Jack to rca input on amp and put the tv volume up full. No increase in volume. Streaming is at least 15 db louder.

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2021, 10:49 pm »
The specs include a rating for clipping power of 230w. What does this mean exactly?
This is the peak power, the power will be clipped if you go beyond that.

Also our tv gives a very low signal via optical cable. Is it ok to run the amp up full if there is no distortion and the it is not getting hot?
Sure, if the input signal is low, just turn up the volume of the amp. If the input is too high and you run the amp to the max power, you will get more distortion and clipping.

It goes super loud while streaming in the  -10  to -20 db range!!
Lower your source or A300 volume :).

stanleysg

a2o

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2021, 07:45 am »
At low level volume, IDA-8 would sound better than A300.

That is very relevant information for me, thank you!! (I sometimes like to listen to music at quite low volume levels compared to many.)

I was considering the Omnia 300 to replace my IDA-8 mainly for functionality reasons (being an all-in-one solution, with also a headphone-output) and also a bit because I might prefer a bit of a more neutral sound and larger soundstage (though maybe other speakers might help), but this does question that route. I don't need the extra power of the IDA-16, but if it is at least as good as the IDA-8 at low volume levels, I guess the IDA-16 (with an external streamer) would be a more relevant upgrade path, though more expensive as a whole and not solving me missing a headphone-solution. I am surprised to see the IDA-16 is mentioned as 'discontinued' on the website.

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2021, 07:46 pm »
IDA-16 was discontinued because we expect the Omnia A300SE to replace it (similar in sound characteristic, but with streaming and only $1650).
Sure, if you use the Stream Mini (shipping mid September) with IDA-16, it will sound better than A300SE but that's almost $2500 set.

a2o

« Reply #18 on: 7 Sep 2021, 08:19 am »
IDA-16 was discontinued because we expect the Omnia A300SE to replace it (similar in sound characteristic, but with streaming and only $1650).
Sure, if you use the Stream Mini (shipping mid September) with IDA-16, it will sound better than A300SE but that's almost $2500 set.

Thank you a lot for the info!
Do you plan on adding the Omnia A300SE and the new STA-9X to the amp comparison table? 

Your info in this thread really makes me wonder what the best 'upgrade' part would be from my IDA-8. (To be clear: I already like the IDA-8!) I'm not necessarily looking for 'better' sound, but mainly a bit more neutral/natural (less warm) with a bigger soundstage/spatial positioning (and not loosing any detail, on the contrary), but, importantly, it has to be good at low volume. (Having also a headphone out would be a nice bonus.) If it weren't for you comment about the Omnia 300SE being worse at low volume compared to the IDA-8, that would have seemed like an interesting path.)

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2021, 09:53 pm »
It is very hard to make a high end amp that sounds good at low volume.
Your best bet for better sound than IDA-8 would be the STA-9X. I would say STA-9 is kind of in the same level as IDA-8, though STA-9 is a lot more powerful and a little better in some area. But IDA-8 is very balance and good overall.

At today's cost, IDA-8 retails for $1250. We can't make a better sounding integrated without doubling the size of the case, and if we add STA-9X, then we are looking at a $3000 integrated (without streaming). That's pretty hard to sell. You can get a DAC with STA-9X and Stream Mini for that price.