AVA Fet Valve CFR

Pstores

AVA Fet Valve CFR
« on: 21 Jul 2018, 11:37 pm »
   I have been listening to this a couple weeks now. Was a huge step above the Bel Canto Dac I was using for a preamp. And it was every bit as good ARC LS27. It had no trouble driving my big monoblocks. And really made them shine. Huge 3d soundstage. More details across the board. More lifelike sounding cymbals, triangles, snares. Everything across the board exploded in a musicality I haven’t heard from my system. My amps aren’t the Bright Harsh Adcoms people think of. These GFA 565’s have been modded by Musical
Concepts. But still they can be slightly bright or harsh with certain poor recordings. The preamp took all
that away. The clarity and balance of the music was much better. Nothing to forward. And over the Bel Canto  it brought some  instruments out. More so in a more balanced presentation. Bel Canto was a bit forward and very bright.
   In short the Fet added clarity without being harsh or bright. More musical and balanced presentation. And over all sound quality is much more realistic. Low ends are very tight. Cymbals have that shimmer and are brought more into the presentation.  Triangles have the twinkle they should have. Mids also realistic and clear.
 Much much better sound quality at lower listening levels.

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2018, 04:14 pm by Pstores »

Helom

Re: AVA Fet Valve CFR
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2019, 05:09 pm »
What type of volume control do these preamps have? Stepped resistance? Alps pot?

avahifi

Re: AVA Fet Valve CFR
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:27 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments, Pstores.

The AVA Fet Valve CFR full remote vacuum tube preamp uses a custom made motor driven Alps Blue Velvet series volume control.  It has a continuous function, not steps.  All other remote functions (source, mute, on - off, and panel lights dim) are done with gold contact relays.

Frank