Vision SET 400 amp Review

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Vision SET 400 amp Review
« Reply #80 on: 11 Sep 2019, 08:46 pm »
Mono versions of SET 120 amps?

Can't be done with the current generation of small chassis.  There just is not enough internal heat sink to support bridged mono very high power into 4 ohm or 2 ohm loads.

The Set 120 is great in stereo mode into normal 8 ohm or 4 ohm loads, but bridge mode triples the power and cuts the speaker load in half and very high power into 2 ohms is a bit much for the heat sinks.

Thanks for that quick answer.

I need xlr inputs as my amp is 30 feet from source and I use balanced cables. Would it be possible to build the SET 120 with xlr inputs? If so, I can contact you via email for details.

avahifi

« Reply #81 on: 11 Sep 2019, 09:52 pm »
The SET 120 chassis is not tooled for XLR jacks and with room for the necessary XLR to single ended circuits to convert balanced inputs to in-phase operation in the stereo mode.

If you need XLR Inputs, choose the SET 400 with this option.

Frank

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #82 on: 11 Sep 2019, 09:55 pm »
Thanks.

MatthewT

« Reply #83 on: 12 Sep 2019, 01:15 am »
As an apartment dweller, I'll never see the full potential of the LRS's, with 45, 100 or 200 wpc.

In his review of the LRS, Herb Reichert used a number of low-power amps and had no complaints. Again, I understand wpc and current capability are totally different.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-0

My interest in the AVA SET 120 (and 400) is the SET and Class A part, something nobody else seems interested in, and is what immediately caught my eye.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #84 on: 12 Sep 2019, 02:17 am »
I think a few years back Parasound was promoting using just one channel of a 60-80 watt stereo amp as a mono-block pair. The advantage touted as separate amps for better separation and 2 channels of power supply for one channel. Not higher continuous output but maybe a little more headroom. Given the "value" price of the SET 120, is there any value to setting them up like this? A pair, each one only driving one channel.

BTW, does the bridging box for the U70 work with the SET 120?

AvsFan

« Reply #85 on: 12 Sep 2019, 04:00 pm »
As an apartment dweller, I'll never see the full potential of the LRS's, with 45, 100 or 200 wpc.

In his review of the LRS, Herb Reichert used a number of low-power amps and had no complaints. Again, I understand wpc and current capability are totally different.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-0

My interest in the AVA SET 120 (and 400) is the SET and Class A part, something nobody else seems interested in, and is what immediately caught my eye.

I am VERY interested in the amps running in Class A mode at normal listening levels. I do a lot of low level listening when the family is sleeping in on the weekends. So Class A mode will be a nice bonus. I've even been looking at the Schiit Audio Aegir's for that reason. Heard them at RMAF in the Salk room and was VERY impressed. However I am still sold on the SET 400 due to I want my Maggie's to really sing and open up. I want high power and high current. And I have noticed this too, with high powered amps, even at low level listening, they sound great. I don't know if it's because they are barely breaking a sweat or what, but the power I am putting to my ZU's is the most they have ever seen and the low level listening details are the best I have ever heard on them. You could always get a SET 400 and let it coast in Class A mode all day long.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #86 on: 12 Sep 2019, 06:12 pm »
You would be very surprised at how little wattage you use with Maggies.  My Pass amp plays in Class A up to about 20-25 wpc.  The meter on the front of the amp tells you when you leave Class A.  If it crosses over to the right side then it is leaving Class A.  It is a rare occurrence that it leaves Class A, even at loud volumes.  With dynamic passages you will see the needle move to the right of 12:00 position.

With that being said, they still sound better with high watts and high current.  The depth of the music and dynamics greatly improve.

I believe that the SET 400 plays in Class A the first 10 or 15 watts or so.  Correct me if I am wrong Frank.

AvsFan

« Reply #87 on: 12 Sep 2019, 08:13 pm »
You would be very surprised at how little wattage you use with Maggies.  My Pass amp plays in Class A up to about 20-25 wpc.  The meter on the front of the amp tells you when you leave Class A.  If it crosses over to the right side then it is leaving Class A.  It is a rare occurrence that it leaves Class A, even at loud volumes.  With dynamic passages you will see the needle move to the right of 12:00 position.

With that being said, they still sound better with high watts and high current.  The depth of the music and dynamics greatly improve.

I believe that the SET 400 plays in Class A the first 10 or 15 watts or so.  Correct me if I am wrong Frank.

Yes, if Frank can chime in and let us know how many watts it goes up to until leaving Class A mode.

avahifi

« Reply #88 on: 13 Sep 2019, 02:02 pm »
The SET 400 runs Class A for about 10 - 20 watts depending upon the speaker load.  The complete single ended voltage amplifier section is always operating Class A, the full complimantry current amplifier output section runs Class AB at high power.  You will never hear any difference.

Frank

MatthewT

« Reply #89 on: 14 Sep 2019, 06:34 pm »
The SET 400 runs Class A for about 10 - 20 watts depending upon the speaker load.  The complete single ended voltage amplifier section is always operating Class A, the full complimantry current amplifier output section runs Class AB at high power.  You will never hear any difference.

Frank

Can you please post the same info for the 120? Thanks!

audiojem

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jul 2020, 03:12 pm »
Can any Vision Set 400 Owners confirm that there is a break in period with this amp and if so at how many hours?
Thanks
AJ

WGH

« Reply #91 on: 12 Jul 2020, 03:54 pm »
The Vision Set 400 sounded excellent from the beginning, I did not not notice any break in phenomenon. In fact all AVA electronics can be enjoyed from the from the first moment they are turned on, even the tubed stuff. Both my AVA preamp and DAC are tubed, do they sound different after 5 minutes or 30 minutes? I don't think so.

JackD

« Reply #92 on: 12 Jul 2020, 09:10 pm »
Jeff

I don't know how many hours the one I got from you had but haven't noticed any real difference since. I have changed preamps, speakers and DAC combos several times so there is change obviously then but the amps character is always consistent.

AvsFan

« Reply #93 on: 27 Jul 2020, 09:14 pm »
How does the SET 400 do with 16ohm speakers? 101db efficient.

AvsFan

« Reply #94 on: 27 Jul 2020, 09:15 pm »

Frank

So with 16ohm speakers and a 101db efficiency, what are we looking at?

avahifi

« Reply #95 on: 28 Jul 2020, 08:44 pm »
Over 100W/Ch running almost always Class A into a 101 dB efficient speaker.

AvsFan

« Reply #96 on: 28 Jul 2020, 10:14 pm »
Over 100W/Ch running almost always Class A into a 101 dB efficient speaker.

I bet that would sound phenomenal!

mav52

« Reply #97 on: 28 Jul 2020, 11:52 pm »
Can a SET 400 be ordered with balanced inputs ?

AvsFan

« Reply #98 on: 29 Jul 2020, 05:22 am »
Can a SET 400 be ordered with balanced inputs ?

That’s a great question. I’ve wondered why it’s not an option. My main system is balanced from end to end.

avahifi

« Reply #99 on: 29 Jul 2020, 11:46 am »
Yes, you can order the SET 400 with balanced inputs.

Switchable XLR/RCA inputs option is $200.