V5 Amplification Module for ST10

jeanpapi

V5 Amplification Module for ST10
« on: 11 Apr 2016, 08:11 pm »
Hi guys, I'm a new member and i am very interested on acquiring a ST10 DAC 10h combo, but before ordering it i would like to know if in the near future Nuprime is planning to update the V4 Amplification Module for a V5.

In that case I would like to know what changes to the sound will V5 module produce.

In addition i know that for US clients exist the possibility to upgrade the combo by TDSS. Is it possible to get this upgrade on an international order?

Thanks in advance,

Jean.

rustydoglim

Re: V5 Amplification Module for ST10
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2016, 03:42 am »
These new generation of products are priced very competitively and each have different designs. During the NuForce era, there is just one design, from V1, V2 to V3.  ST-10 is no longer considered as the "V4" design.  Please refer to the Amp Comparison guide.
Therefore we might not offer upgrade (and for the price of these products, upgrade doesn't make sense).

What I am saying is that there is no such thing as V5 anymore because we now have A,B,C,B.... designs with different sonic characteristic. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2016, 04:31 am »
Jean,

If I understood an earlier post correctly, an ST-10 could be shipped directly to Bob at TDSS for his mods. Then, the modded ST-10 would be shipped to you. Is this correct, Jason?

Michael

jeanpapi

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:08 pm »
OK !! thank you for the information.

Michael, I don't know if this is possible because as far as i know the combo is imported from Taiwan.

Jean

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:32 pm »
Jean,

Where do you live?

As far as I know, all Nuprime gear is shipped from Taiwan. I have read a post in the last few months where a new Nuprime owner asked to have his component sent directly to TDSS for modification. Once the mod was completed, the item was shipped to his home.

I'm going to audition an ST-10 and a DAC-10 this weekend. If the ST-10 meets my needs, I will order one for my part-time home in Taiwan. I am very tempted to have the amp modified by Bob at TDSS. If I decide it is worthwhile, I will ask that the amp be sent to TDSS, and then back to Taiwan (I will want to know all shipping costs first.).

Regards,

Michael

jeanpapi

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2016, 04:27 pm »
Michael, I live in Argentina.

I would highly appreciate your impressions of the combo (My intention is to use it with B&W 803N), the shipping cost and the upgrade as well.

I don't know if this information is allowed to be posted so if you can send me a PM.

Thank you very much !!!

Jean.

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2016, 05:21 pm »
Jean,

No worries. Other folks have expressed interest in my impressions, so I will definitely post them.

Your English is fine. My wife is a non-native English speaker and she constantly and unnecessarily worries about making spelling and grammar mistakes. I majored in Mandarin Chinese. I still make mistakes, but I learned to "go with it" and not worry.  Enjoy yourself more and worry less.  :wink:

Michael

jeanpapi

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2016, 06:46 pm »
Thank you Michael,

As you noticed English is not my native language but I try my best .. . ::

What i was trying to tell you was that if it is not allowed to post shipping or upgrade costs please send me a PM.

I'll be waiting your post regarding your listening experience !!

Regards,

Jean.

Genez

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2016, 05:43 pm »
Hi guys, I'm a new member and i am very interested on acquiring a ST10 DAC 10h combo, but before ordering it i would like to know if in the near future Nuprime is planning to update the V4 Amplification Module for a V5.

In that case I would like to know what changes to the sound will V5 module produce.

In addition i know that for US clients exist the possibility to upgrade the combo by TDSS. Is it possible to get this upgrade on an international order?

Thanks in advance,

Jean.

I have been living with my TDSS modded equipment for over five - seven months average.  (I had two pieces modded). Amp and preamp.

How do I say it? The sound of music will be able the breath through the electronics like it could not before. 

The TDSS mod eliminates certain kinds of internally generated electronic noise that electronic equipment typically produces with OEM designs. The mod pulls down and eliminates certain innate types of distortion that we "sense" all the time without knowing it.   

Its like having a somewhat stuffed nose suddenly open up and let you breath easier.   The music flows easier with the mod.  Its not some form of coloration designed to make the music sound pleasant in an altered way.  Like with a cleared nose,  you will 'smell/hear'  bad things also more clearly.  So, its not a means to make bad recordings sound more pleasant.

Its like being able to breath again to smell fragrances that impaired nostrils just would not let you know were there   It does not make the flowers smell better than they are.  It just lets you smell the flower's fragrance better. 

You understand what I am saying?  Transparency may be the right term for it.  It lowers a certain harshness that can come from the ever present internally generated electronic noise (RFI -EMI) not being controlled.  Most audio equipment do not have what this mod enables. Probably, very expensive audio concentrates on this factor.  Stuff I never get to hear. ;)

It allows more of the music to reach to your ears.  But?  If you have audio cables that distort the sound?  That will be heard. You will need better cables in that case.  Speakers set up out of alignment?   You'll need to get them precisely set up. The mod just lets the music through the electronics to breath easier.

Its like cleaning a window and allowing you to see what you are working with.  A great system will sound better by allowing more of its greatness to reach your ears. 

The mod is based upon sound engineering. Not some gimmick.

Hope that helps!      Gene

jeanpapi

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2016, 07:42 pm »
Dear Gene,

Thank you very much for your input. I am very excited because i just ordered the DAC 10H/ST10 combo with the TDSS upgrade for both units !!

I've bee in contact with Bob Smith and he has been very kind to answer all my doubts regarding the procedure to do all the transaction in 1 stepand all my technical questions.

I can't wait to receive the units, plug them and sit down to listen my favorite music. :D

Thanks again,

Jean.

Genez

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2016, 11:03 pm »
Jean,

I had already owned and broken in my equipment before the TDSS mods were made available.  So, I got to hear the before and after sound. I always appreciated what I heard before. But, what came after was a very nice bonus.  That is how I can know that the mod causes real benefits.

One unusual thing I might mention.  There is an audiophile tweak out there called Audio Prism Ground Controls.  They are enjoyed by serious audiophiles when placing them on their amp and/or speaker terminals, etc.  They always made my system sound more alive and real when I used them.  But...

After I got the mods back?  The Ground Controls no longer made any difference. Nothing was missed though. Because now everything sounded even better (and smoother) than what they used to sound like with the GC's.  That's not to knock AudioPrism.  For, they make great tweaks for those who do not benefit from the TDSS kind of mod.  Not to mention, I still use AudioPrism Quietlines in various outlets to keep down line noise.  They do make a difference.

jeanpapi

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2016, 12:51 am »
Dear Gene:

I would have done the same thing in your place but i live in Argentina and i don't have the chance (or it would be very difficult) to buy it and after a while send it to USA to be upgraded. That's the reason why i did all at the same time.

Thank you for sharing your experience. One thing that i have in mind is to use a Power Plant like the PS Audio P3 but I'll go step by step and try to enjoy the equipment as it is.

I'm very intrigged on how it will match with my B&W 803 Nautilus (upgraded too)

Thank you again.

Jean.

Genez

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2016, 01:05 am »
Dear Gene:

I would have done the same thing in your place but i live in Argentina and i don't have the chance (or it would be very difficult) to buy it and after a while send it to USA to be upgraded. That's the reason why i did all at the same time.

I was not recommending doing what I did. I had no choice.  I was not suggesting it would be good to do like I did.   You're saving on two way shipping this way.  I bought my equipment before I learned about the mods.  I was simply telling you that I am living proof that the mods are good way to go because I have heard the before and after sound. Don't get me wrong..  The equipment sounded good before.  The mods made me realize that I had no idea how much potential was there.   If you were my brother I would simply tell you to get the mod done new.  You'll most likely need a bit of burn in.  But, we all need that. 

From Georgia USA.....    Gene

jeanpapi

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2016, 01:36 pm »
Dear Gene:

OK !! thank you for sharing your experience. You make me feel that i am in the correct path.

Now i have the toughest part. I have to wait at least for three weeks !!

Thank you again.

Jean.