TX-102 silver build with pics

Ed Sawyer

TX-102 silver build with pics
« on: 25 Jun 2013, 04:39 pm »

I finally finished up building a single input/dual output passive preamp using a pair of silver TX-102s I got from John a few years back. The case is from Josh at Electronluv, another great guy. More pics here and details here:

http://edsawyer.com/audiogallery/TX-102%20Passive%20Preamp/

Many thanks to John for everything he's done for me over the years - he's definitely one of the top guys in the world of audio, no question!

-Ed

JohnR

Re: TX-102 silver build with pics
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2013, 04:46 pm »
 :o :o :o

What does it look like from the rear?

srb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2013, 04:59 pm »
What does it look like from the rear?

John, if you click on the link there are 18 photos there including 3 of the rear.

Steve

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2013, 05:09 pm »
Very cool!

WireNut

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2013, 05:39 pm »
Definitely a unique looking preamp. Would like to see some pics of the inside. I've looked at the Bent Audio site in the past, their DIY products seem a bit confusing to me. :scratch:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2013, 05:48 pm »
Wirenut,

Pics of the inside, rear, etc...are all on the link Ed provided.

Ed,

Welcome to AC! Your DIY projects are always WAY cool to look at. Nice enclosure - Josh is a genius with metals!

Best,
Anand.

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2013, 06:21 pm »
Wirenut,
Pics of the inside, rear, etc...are all on the link Ed provided.

Ed,
Welcome to AC! Your DIY projects are always WAY cool to look at. Nice enclosure - Josh is a genius with metals!

Best,
Anand.

What I was hoping to see is a pic of the actual attenuator/resistors inside the case. Are the attenuators/resistors pre assembled by Bent Audio so the end builder just has to wire everything up?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2013, 06:40 pm »
What I was hoping to see is a pic of the actual attenuator/resistors inside the case. Are the attenuators/resistors pre assembled by Bent Audio so the end builder just has to wire everything up?

What Ed built uses a Seiden switch, and as you can see, the case is very small so it is tight and probably difficult to take a picture of.  What Ed has built is different from John provides currently. S&B Transformers are not sold to DIY'ers anymore - what Ed has was one from a few years ago.

But to answer your question, what John sells with the Bent Audio TAP X is a full kit and it uses Dave Slagle Intact Audio's autoformers (not the S&B TX102 TVC's that Ed used). What you need to do is final assembly which involves mostly wiring. You don't have to deal with soldering resistors or SMD's, etc...it also has full remote capability.

And John is one of the most courteous fellas you will ever meet...

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2013, 03:46 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Ed Sawyer

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2013, 07:36 pm »
hi Guys -

Glad you like it!   

The internals are built with S&B Transformers, which no longer generally available, apparently are still available on a custom order basis (?) from S&B, albeit at a hugely inflated price vs. what John used to sell them for. Here's a couple pics of what the transformers look like by themselves, and the switch. These are other people's pics, not mine but they give an idea of what is inside the case.

The trannies are in mu-metal cans, with all leads out one end, as below:

The switch is a dual-deck one like this (which I think has 4 decks):

Wiring these up is a real pain, esp. when using solid-core wire which is uninsulated... have to cut all the wire to size then also cut insulation... plus all the soldering. Even just planning out how to route the wires is a chore, since there's so many of them. Somehow it all fits!

-Ed

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2013, 04:06 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for posting that - great build and as soon as you see the case you have to think of Josh's work! If anyone is not familiar with his stuff here are some pics:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/josh/josh_3.html

most amazing cases ever I think.

For wirenut - yes my web page is confusing and I was just working on a big update this morning. Aiming to have it active by the end of next week. Basically I make pre-made and tested modules for volume control using Dave Slagles autoformers and also a host of other less expensive level control options for diy and oem project builds.  The newer stuff's is modular making for easier wiring than most traditional TVC builds like Ed's Seiden switch based unit.  But man that is a cool preamp!

Thansk!

John

dynaflo

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2013, 08:04 pm »
That is just too damn cool!