NOH has phono stage?

Bob Grega

• http://gregagn-1.com
NOH has phono stage?
« on: 13 Jul 2004, 02:31 am »
John,

Does the NOH have a phono stage, can it be used with the tx103?
Bob

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
NOH has phono stage?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2004, 02:33 pm »
Hello!

I am afraid it does not. Since the NOH is passive there is 'NOH way' to get the gain needed for a phono stage. The Phono stage would be a separate unit with TX103's either ahead of it or if it is a DIY phono stage with the tx103's built inside.

Thansk!

John

Ed Sawyer

DIY phono stage with S&B/Bent parts
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:43 am »
A friend and I are working on a DIY phono stage project that will be all DHT tubes (probably 3 gain stages total), and will utilize S&B TX-103 stepups as input trannies, and also the S&B 10k RIAA unit (once I get those from John...  :)   We should have it at least prototyped by this fall. It will have an optional S&B TX-102 in there too, so it could be used as a stand alone piece (e.g. control gain via the TX102). I may get Josh S. to build some chassis for it when we get that far...  should be  a good one!  The all-DHT part of the project is the tough challenge, but should pay off nicely as far as sonics if all goes well.

Of course this is totally separate from the NOH and whatnot, but interesting perhaps since it uses the S&B Iron that John has worked so hard on as far as development and sourcing. ;-)

-Ed

dhsettim

DHT phono
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2004, 07:54 am »
Ed, what tubes are ya planning to use for ya DHT 3 stage phonoamp? I would love to hear updates of ya progress.
regards
tim

Ed Sawyer

Lineup
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2004, 01:00 pm »
At this point I believe it's going to be:

TX-103 - AV20 - 1:1 - 10k RIAA eq - choke-loaded 841 - PX25 - 1:1 out

Perhaps with some batteries for fils if need be - time will tell.  Tube-rectified B+, but probably not MV tubes (though possibly - depends on noise level).

we'll see how things play out! It will be this fall before we get too much further on it, for various reason (prior committments, etc.)

thanks for the interest
-Ed